News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

5 reasons you should be scared of Apple

Started by Seifer, May 13, 2010, 03:46:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scotty

Quote from: Seifer on May 13, 2010, 11:43:05 PM
When I purchased my Ipod touch, it was the only product on the market that was reasonably priced that could do the things that it does.

Then you just willingly accepted having to use their software that you despise so much.  Hell, you paid to use their software essentially.  How is that their fault?

Seifer

Sometimes you've got to settle. I take what I can get, and if I want to complain because I had no better choice, than your damn right I will!

Scotty

That's the thing, you bought into their products knowing full well what you were getting yourself into.  It's called compromise.  You get a good product, but have to deal with the shitty side, namely the software.  So here's a question for you.  Now more than ever, hating them as much as you apparently do, will you get another iPod or any other Apple product if there aren't any others on the market that do what you want them to do?  If you intend to, your arguments of how their stuff sucks dies with your next purchase, if it wasn't dead already.

That's like me saying I want a car that's super fast, but I know the handling sucks.  So I buy the car, and then accuse the company of sucking to no end because their handling sucks... Why'd I buy the car?  Because it goes fast?  There's plenty of other cars that will cause less compromise that I could've purchased, and been more happy with.  Sure, they may not be AS fast, but the handling is better.

An even better analogy would be someone like Jake or Chris bitching about Ubisoft's DRM and how they hate them to no end for it, but go and buy Assassin's Creed II anyways, full well knowing that they are purchasing a product that they hate, but want it anyways because it's the only game that does what it does, and does it as well as it does.  Does that make any sense?

Seifer

Except I've never bought any apps ever for my Ipod. I've jailbroken it so far that I can get the legit Itunes Apps for free, any of them, not just those crappy homemade apps on Cydia. So I really don't support them. I bought their product because I can play movies, music, games, access the internet, use a calender, a calculator, etc etc etc. I don't buy songs via Itunes or anything of that nature.

The same goes for the DRM and AC2. I purposefully Pirated the game as opposed to buying it simply because of the DRM. Yes, I have an Ipod Touch, but I've never given Apple a cent past the purchase.

NotSoCheerios

ah, and thats why not one computer of mine has EVER had apple software touch it.
Quote from: Seifer on May 13, 2010, 10:45:46 PM
Quote from: Scotty on May 13, 2010, 10:30:44 PM
Quote from: Snakeman on May 13, 2010, 09:58:40 PM
Quote from: ARTgames on May 13, 2010, 09:48:36 PM
Well a good pc is a mac book pro. Unless you mean a non apple pc.

Non Apple PC. If what they say about the whole "slipping unwanted programs stealthily into program updates" is true, then it sure as hell better be a non Apple.

They don't.  They make it clear as day when you update their software that you will also be downloading Safari and Quicktime (unless you uncheck the boxes).  They don't hide it.

No no, in that situation, it was installed WITHOUT the option of opting out. Hence the uproar.

Also, when installing Itunes you HAVE to install Quicktime first. You do not need quicktime to use itunes, and yet I must have it on my computer. Damn bogus!

Really wish there was a good alternative to Itunes.

Zune? Don't use a ipod?

ARTgames

Quote from: Scotty on May 14, 2010, 12:05:07 AM
That's the thing, you bought into their products knowing full well what you were getting yourself into.  It's called compromise.  You get a good product, but have to deal with the shitty side, namely the software.  So here's a question for you.  Now more than ever, hating them as much as you apparently do, will you get another iPod or any other Apple product if there aren't any others on the market that do what you want them to do?  If you intend to, your arguments of how their stuff sucks dies with your next purchase, if it wasn't dead already.

That's like me saying I want a car that's super fast, but I know the handling sucks.  So I buy the car, and then accuse the company of sucking to no end because their handling sucks... Why'd I buy the car?  Because it goes fast?  There's plenty of other cars that will cause less compromise that I could've purchased, and been more happy with.  Sure, they may not be AS fast, but the handling is better.

Well look at it this way. He looked at the good and the bad of the ipod and figured the good was a bit better. That does not mean the part that's bad goes away. He wants less of it. And i see no problem in asking for that.

Even when people buy stuff they like they may make a commnet like "i wish it was a bit smaller" or "i wish it was a tad faster". What he doing the is same thing just more exaggerated because his like to dislike ratio is lower. Hell i play stick online and wish things all the time. With your logic Scotty there would be no Ideas & Suggestions on this site because according to you i should move on past this game because of the parts i dislike, even if the good out wages it.

Don't get caught on the words "hate, sucks" and find out what he does not like.

Scotty

Quote from: ARTgames on May 14, 2010, 08:22:17 AM
That's the thing, you bought into their products knowing full well what you were getting yourself into.  It's called compromise.  You get a good product, but have to deal with the shitty side, namely the software.  So here's a question for you.  Now more than ever, hating them as much as you apparently do, will you get another iPod or any other Apple product if there aren't any others on the market that do what you want them to do?  If you intend to, your arguments of how their stuff sucks dies with your next purchase, if it wasn't dead already.

That's like me saying I want a car that's super fast, but I know the handling sucks.  So I buy the car, and then accuse the company of sucking to no end because their handling sucks... Why'd I buy the car?  Because it goes fast?  There's plenty of other cars that will cause less compromise that I could've purchased, and been more happy with.  Sure, they may not be AS fast, but the handling is better.

Well look at it this way. He looked at the good and the bad of the ipod and figured the good was a bit better. That does not mean the part that's bad goes away. He wants less of it. And i see no problem in asking for that.

Even when people buy stuff they like they may make a commnet like "i wish it was a bit smaller" or "i wish it was a tad faster". What he doing the is same thing just more exaggerated because his like to dislike ratio is lower. Hell i play stick online and wish things all the time. With your logic Scotty there would be no Ideas & Suggestions on this site because according to you i should move on past this game because of the parts i dislike, even if the good out wages it.

Don't get caught on the words "hate, sucks" and find out what he does not like.

My logic never insinuated that one shouldn't suggest ways to improve a situation, I would never in any situation tell someone that they can't voice their opinion on how to improve something when there's a problem (quite the opposite, I encourage that).  What my logic is getting at, is that one would avidly hate a company, yet purchase their products, and continue to bitch that they paid into a broken system, knowing full well what they were buying into before they made the purchase.  I've yet to see in this conversation people discussing suggestions for how things should be done, it's all be an avid hatred being portrayed towards Apple.  Granted, suggesting improvements on this forum won't go anywhere past the community's averaged ~1.75 second attention span anyways, but all I'm getting out of this argument is "I knew Apple sucked, I bought thereir stuff anyways, and now that I willingly payed into a company I hate, I hate them more."  It seems unjustified.

To counter your broken analogy of Stick Online Art, I wouldn't ever tell anyone "don't suggest your ideas on how to improve the game because you think it sucks hairy hamster scrotum."  As a measure of what I would tell someone, imagine someone posting this exact same topic, only twisting it to say "5 reasons you should be scared of Stick Online", and then said "Since everyone here knows I'm an avid Stick Online opposer, I thought this appropriate:" then posted a link to an article that over-exaggerates the lack of content or whatever in the game.  What do you think any of us would tell the person?  I would say something to the mild effects of "pack your bags".

ARTgames

Well its finale then. Seifier has a love hate relationship with Apple. It explains the topic and buying habits.

Lingus

Quote from: Seifer on May 13, 2010, 11:43:05 PM
When I purchased my Ipod touch, it was the only product on the market that was reasonably priced that could do the things that it does.
See, that's where I would differ. There is a similar situation right now with the iPad. There is nothing on the market that does what it does. I would love to have one, but there are certain things about it that I would not want. So I will wait until the market is more saturated with similar devices before making a decision. I then would have multiple choices from multiple companies and probably pay significantly less.

An even better analogy would be someone like Jake or Chris bitching about Ubisoft's DRM and how they hate them to no end for it, but go and buy Assassin's Creed II anyways, full well knowing that they are purchasing a product that they hate, but want it anyways because it's the only game that does what it does, and does it as well as it does.  Does that make any sense?
This is why I feel like I have more of a right to speak on these kinds of things. I don't like the DRM, so I'm not buying the game. Nor am I pirating it. I'm making a stand against things that I do not like. If everyone were to do that, then the companies who make these things would be forced to comply or lose profits. Instead, people see something they want and they immediately go out and get it regardless of the downsides. It's this kind of consumerist mentality that allows these companies to continue doing what they're doing.

ARTgames

To get more on topic i would like to ask do any of you think Apple is doing things you do not like?

Chaos

Quote from: ARTgames on May 14, 2010, 06:29:19 PM
To get more on topic i would like to ask do any of you think Apple is doing things you do not like?

Yes.  Yes.  Oh, and yes.

One word:  Proprietary.
Jake says:
lol, I found God! He was hiding under a big rock this entire time that lil jokster

Lingus

Btw, thought I should mention, I am currently looking at an Apple Software Update window on my computer (my fiance has an iPod). By default iTunes+QuickTime is selected, and in a separate section for "New Software" is Safari 4 which was deselected. This means you don't even have to opt out of Safari like you do with a lot of internet toolbars. If I had not paid attention to the screen at all and just hit "Install" I would not have gotten Safari... So maybe they snuck Safari in previously but it was probably a matter of an opt out vs. opt in and people just didn't take the time to realize. In any case, Apple clearly has paid attention to complaints since they no longer require an opt out. Does that sound like a company who is "Against Everyone".

Aqua

Quote from: Kbob32 on May 13, 2010, 11:16:00 PM
What about Rhapsody?

I havent tried it but I guess its like iTunes.

btw, I guess I am part of the machine (iPhone user)  I love my iPhone =3
But agree that apple has a pretty big monoploy in the mp3 industry and up there with cell phones as well.
I was going to read the whole topic before posting, but this stopped me.
Rhapsody is a no no.
Really.
I had to use it for a cruddy Sansa mp3 player a while back (now have a Zune), and it was quite painful to work with. After a while I just stopped using it. Fortunately, at the time, I had my dad giving me my bank whatchamacallits (not anymore now). I saw that I had a payment to Rhapsody, though I never bought anything. I had to fill out my credit card information to use it and my 'free one month trial.' Somehow I got subscribed, without my knowing. I was very angry, as I did not have a job, and subscriptions are not options.
When the dust cleared, I got my money back, but I have lost ALL respect for Rhapsody.

And I hate Apple.
~Aqua