News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

Should stick online 3 be in HD?

Started by ARTgames, July 14, 2009, 07:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should stick online 3 be in HD?

Yes
5 (17.9%)
No
4 (14.3%)
What ever meiun does
5 (17.9%)
i don't care
6 (21.4%)
Keep it how it is now
8 (28.6%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Lingus

I believe you're referring to the dimensions of the game window... Doesn't really make it HD, but w/e, I get what you're saying. Either way is fine with me. I don't really care what dimensions the game window is.

Dragx_Rage

I don't really mind, what ever meiun does. I got kicked. :(

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Osh~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ARTgames

Like i meant for the game graphics to be 1:1 with that black area. so like when your game window is 1280x720 ever pixel will have a pixel on screen. not like, take the game now and just stretch the window side's. That's what it sounds like i said and its my fault. i did not make it clearer. i should have made a better mock up also.

I don't like this idea of stick online being in HD. I think it will be too big.

Lingus

O_o... Em. Yea, I think I understand. You want just the game window to be HD sized but not stretched. So it would just show more of the game world. I guess it would be sorta cool. Really the only thing about HD (and we're talking about ratios here, not quality, so we should be calling it wide screen I guess) is that the ratio of that rectangle (1.7777~) is very similar to the Golden Ratio
Quote from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_ratio...two quantities are in the golden ratio if the ratio of the sum of the quantities to the larger one equals the ratio of the larger one to the smaller.
and the thing about the Golden Ratio is this:
Quote from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_ratioAt least since the Renaissance, many artists and architects have proportioned their works to approximate the golden ratio?especially in the form of the golden rectangle, in which the ratio of the longer side to the shorter is the golden ratio?believing this proportion to be aesthetically pleasing.
Basically, it would make the game window more pleasing to the eye... Which is a similar reason why wide screen is in such wide use now.

ARTgames

Yeah you got it! that's what i meant.

EpicPhailure

Doesn't really matter to me at all. As long as it's still Stick Online.

Btw: I didn't know there was a full screen mode. How do you use it?

CherryPie

I voted for "What ever meiun does", because he didn't do something wrong in the past. But also there could be a problem with high resolutions. if you have stick online in lets say 1280x780 and the stick figure have the same size as they have now and the only advantage you have is the bigger view of the environment next to the sticks and above them, you will have to put out a loupe to find the stick figures on a 1024x640 or even smaller screen, since shrinking the resolution (instead of cutting the sides off) is the only possibility, to not give them disadvantages in the gameplay.

In the end, I have to say, that the mainstream should decide. Stick Online Version 2 is considered standard or even low definition, so people with small screens + high resolution have disadvantages (I will laugh at you, when you run SO on a 15,4" screen with 1920x1200 resultion and realise that the blobs are smaller than ever).
In the past that wasn't a question, since 1600x1200 (4:3) was probably the maximum of pixels, that could be displayed on a affordable computer screen.
Well, you could just change your screen resolution, but that will hinder you from doing other stuff, you normally do with your comp, while playing SO.

uhhm, I guess Meiun knows what he's doing and that he will do it the right way  ::)

Lingus

The game window doesn't need to be 1280x720. It just would need to have a 16:9 ratio. So whatever the height of a 1024 pixel width would be... Something like 576? Or you could do like 900x500... It doesn't even need to be exact, just similar to a 16:9 ratio. The only reason to make it exactly 1280x720 would be if you wanted it to go full screen and fit the screen exactly without stretching pixels. And even then, on normal monitors you'll get the black bars at top and bottom of the screen. In any case, it's rare now to have people with lower resolution that 1280x1024 or 1280x720

ARTgames

HD is 16:9 and 720 or higher.

"High-definition television (HDTV) resolution is 1080 or 720 lines."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-definition_video

"In any case, it's rare now to have people with lower resolution that 1280x1024 or 1280x720"
But that's the part of your post that most matters. a lot of us can afford 1280x720. and thats the main point I'm trying to get across. i care more about the rez than the aspic ratio. its just that 720 pretty standard.

To tell you the truth I wish meiun did what ever other pc video game does and let us pick the rez and aspect ratio.

Lingus

Then we're talking about 2 different things. And I don't think it matters in this case. The resolution should be exactly as it is now. That has nothing to do with the size of the game window. In pixel based graphics, resolution doesn't really mean anything. A pixel is a pixel. So long as the graphics pixel ratio matches the screen pixel ratio, everything looks good. Changing the dimensions of the game window or aspect ratio of the screen doesn't do anything to the quality of the graphics. You can't get any more "high def" than 1:1 pixel ratio.

I'm not trying to sound mean btw, Art, I just feel like you keep changing the subject. I'm sure I just don't exactly understand what you're trying to accomplish here. In any case, I think the graphics are fine as is.

ARTgames

This is what i leaned what HD was. This is what i was thinking when i made this topic.
1024?768
1280?720 (this is what i want the most and the 2ed screen shot)      
1440?1080   
1280?1080   
1920?1080   
3840?2160 (<- lol i know that will never happen but you get the point :P)   
If the game is to be 1:1 with one of those rezes it will be what i consider "HD". i could be wrong but i just what you to know what im thinking. So we can clear some of the confusion i caused.