News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

Alcohomoholic Beverages.

Started by DarkTrinity, October 11, 2010, 04:31:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucifer

Lingus

I'm probably a little late on this. Either way, I think my opinions probably will not help much for what you would want to drink. My tastes are pretty particular... and I've noticed that they have developed a lot since I first started drinking. I went from drinking crap beer just to get drunk, to straight smirnoff vodka, to some fancy drinks like martinis... now I'm drinking very strong flavored beer (try anything from Stone Brewing Company and you will get a feel for what I like) and scotch (not blended scotch though. I'm talking about Glenfiddich.) I really dislike mixed drinks of any kind, even soda and liquor I won't do. Like Jack and Coke is horrible to me. I also won't drink anything like Budweiser or Coors. Nothing that comes out of a can.

Drinking beer and other alcoholic drinks is all about the flavor, not about getting as drunk as you possibly can. One of the reasons I started liking beer again after a while is because it almost regulates how drunk you can get. You can only drink about 3 glasses of really thick flavorfull beer before you're full and can't drink anymore. As long as it's not a 9+% (which some of them are) then 3 glasses should be enough for a decent buzz, but not enough to make a fool out of yourself.

Scotty

Quote from: Lingus on October 19, 2010, 04:54:47 PM
Drinking beer and other alcoholic drinks is all about the flavor, not about getting as drunk as you possibly can. One of the reasons I started liking beer again after a while is because it almost regulates how drunk you can get. You can only drink about 3 glasses of really thick flavorfull beer before you're full and can't drink anymore. As long as it's not a 9+% (which some of them are) then 3 glasses should be enough for a decent buzz, but not enough to make a fool out of yourself.

I concur entirely with what you theorize.  It's a maturity thing.  You hand a kid under the legal age a couple of beers, he experiences his first drunk, then he pursues that awesome feeling, until he grows up, makes mistakes, and learns to appreciate alcohol for its taste.  I'd take a gander that few grab their first beer and go for taste.  That's what I love about beer, the taste.  Don't smear it with a lime, or any fruit, just give me the pure taste of another man's hard work.  There's no such thing as a bad beer, just a beer that you don't like.  Remember when you take a swig of a beer that you would call "horrible", keep in mind someone somewhere brewed it, and loves it, because they think it is great.  This is why I LOVE microbreweries!

Seifer

Lingus is so wrong. The entire purpose of drinking is to get intoxicated. People drink to become buzzed or drunk, to relieve stress and let loose. I would never drink beer for the taste, that shit is awful.

Scotty

And here we have the difference between self control and substance abuse.

Lingus

Again, it's all about taste. If you like it, drink it. If not, then don't. I personally don't think drinking to get drunk makes a lot of sense. Honestly, smoke weed. Being drunk isn't that awesome. You might think you're being cool and funny, but no one else does. And the next morning you aren't having any fun at all. Eventually that wears off and you realize that drinking with moderation works better. Sure, having a buzz is nice, but isn't it better to also have the benefit of enjoying a nice drink?

To be fair though, have you even given many beers a try? They say it's an aquired taste, and that really is true. Your taste buds actually become accustomed to the flavor. If the beers you are drinking are budweiser, or coors, or labatt (would be the canadian equivalent I believe) then you need to branch out before you judge beer.

@Scott, I totally agree with you given one detail. The people brewing the beer actually have to really love what they're making. IE Microbrews. I don't think Budweiser gives two craps what they make so long as it makes them money. You can't honestly claim that watered down beer is something someone loves making. I get that a lot of people like to drink it, but they probably like it because it doesn't have much of any flavor.

Scotty

Quote from: Lingus on October 20, 2010, 08:56:49 PM
Again, it's all about taste. If you like it, drink it. If not, then don't. I personally don't think drinking to get drunk makes a lot of sense. Honestly, smoke weed. Being drunk isn't that awesome. You might think you're being cool and funny, but no one else does. And the next morning you aren't having any fun at all. Eventually that wears off and you realize that drinking with moderation works better. Sure, having a buzz is nice, but isn't it better to also have the benefit of enjoying a nice drink?

To be fair though, have you even given many beers a try? They say it's an aquired taste, and that really is true. Your taste buds actually become accustomed to the flavor. If the beers you are drinking are budweiser, or coors, or labatt (would be the canadian equivalent I believe) then you need to branch out before you judge beer.

@Scott, I totally agree with you given one detail. The people brewing the beer actually have to really love what they're making. IE Microbrews. I don't think Budweiser gives two craps what they make so long as it makes them money. You can't honestly claim that watered down beer is something someone loves making. I get that a lot of people like to drink it, but they probably like it because it doesn't have much of any flavor.

I didn't want to say it in my post, so I'm glad you pointed it out.  Yes, I do agree with the world in that America killed beer.  We took something that has such variety, possibilities, flavor, and found ways to turn it into a cheap drink with no flavor, and make a lot of money from it.  Interesting enough, reading through Anheuser-Busch's process for making their beer, they use a substantial amount of rice (30% wtf!?!), and even go as far as to dilute the taste of their fermentation by boiling the beer in baking soda to remove the taste of the wood that they use in the fermentation process...  Nothing of what I just recited from their Wikipedia article makes any sense...  America killed the beer...  Seriously, it took us until what, the 80's-90's to start bringing micro-breweries and variety back into the American beer?  I honestly have to applaud Jim Koch for doing what he has done with beer.  He has founded a company solely based around bringing mass amounts of variety and flavor back into American beer, which is really why the only American beer I'll drink is Sam Adams.

Seifer, I gotta agree with Lingus, if you haven't tried any variety of beers other than your basic diluted beers, Bud, Miller, Labatt, go get yourself a variety pack of Sam Adams.  Get your friends together and pitch in on a bunch of different types of Sam, and see if any of them hit the nail on the head.  A lot are hit or miss (although I honestly will say I've yet to have a Sam I didn't like, or at least couldn't stomach).  Give it a shot.  If you want more information on how to appreciate beer, check my favorite website:

http://beeradvocate.com/

Seifer

Quote from: Scotty on October 20, 2010, 11:16:33 PM
Quote from: Lingus on October 20, 2010, 08:56:49 PM

I didn't want to say it in my post, so I'm glad you pointed it out.  Yes, I do agree with the world in that America killed beer.  We took something that has such variety, possibilities, flavor, and found ways to turn it into a cheap drink with no flavor, and make a lot of money from it.  Interesting enough, reading through Anheuser-Busch's process for making their beer, they use a substantial amount of rice (30% wtf!?!), and even go as far as to dilute the taste of their fermentation by boiling the beer in baking soda to remove the taste of the wood that they use in the fermentation process...  Nothing of what I just recited from their Wikipedia article makes any sense...  America killed the beer...  Seriously, it took us until what, the 80's-90's to start bringing micro-breweries and variety back into the American beer?  I honestly have to applaud Jim Koch for doing what he has done with beer.  He has founded a company solely based around bringing mass amounts of variety and flavor back into American beer, which is really why the only American beer I'll drink is Sam Adams.

Seifer, I gotta agree with Lingus, if you haven't tried any variety of beers other than your basic diluted beers, Bud, Miller, Labatt, go get yourself a variety pack of Sam Adams.  Get your friends together and pitch in on a bunch of different types of Sam, and see if any of them hit the nail on the head.  A lot are hit or miss (although I honestly will say I've yet to have a Sam I didn't like, or at least couldn't stomach).  Give it a shot.  If you want more information on how to appreciate beer, check my favorite website:

http://beeradvocate.com/

I've had some good beers. For the most part yes, when I come into contact with beer, it's shitty Canadian beer. I've had a taste of some... I don't know what to call them, but lets just say imports, and I don't mean the "regular" imports like Guiness or Heineken. And I did enjoy some of them, well, maybe not enjoy, I'm not that attuned to beer yet, but they weren't bad, and I could see myself coming to like them. Problem is the price, and acquiring them. They are often a lot more expensive than the Canadian/American beers, at which point I just opt for some cheap liquor.

Lingus

I do have to say though, Scott, America killed beer, but it also brought craft beer to the masses. So, it's not America as a whole. It's the big corporate breweries that killed beer (although I don't even agree that they killed it, because clearly the micro-brew craft market is doing quite well... much better than ever before). Btw, Seifer, I believe craft is the word you're looking for.

Sam Adams is good. It's one of the beers I will drink if there's nothing else. Not to say I don't like it, it's just I would prefer a New Belgium, Stone... Sam Adams is kind of a last resort for me. But it's good.

Oh, and if you're going to try different beers, try some Trappist beers. Chimay is an example of a Trappist beer. There are apparently only 7 breweries that are considered official trappist. Basically, it's an order of trappist monks that brew beer. And there are only 7 of these world wide. Anything else with the word trappist is a beer that is mimicing the qualities (some of which do so pretty well.)

DarkTrinity

I want a sex on the beach!!
My sister said she'll buy the stuff to make me one, because they sound good and fruity and while the name is rather unappealing(who wants sand in places you never knew you had?), that drink sounds yummy.

troyowns

Mystery

AKA Paradox/EnragedDeity/Occurrence.
Quote from: Medgar Evers
You can kill a man, but you can't kill an idea.

DarkTrinity

Mystery

AKA Paradox/EnragedDeity/Occurrence.
Quote from: Medgar Evers
You can kill a man, but you can't kill an idea.

Hikarikuen

If you don't always drink beer, you'll probably find you prefer Dos Equis.