News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

Landscaping.

Started by Aqua, November 14, 2010, 10:24:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aqua

When at the main menu, I think there should be a button titled 'Landscape.' When you click on that, it brings up a file browser and you choose a file with 7z compression.
If this is used, SO will extract the corresponding backgrounds to its temp folder, as well as flag.bmp and color.txt file. The flag.bmp will be imported and replace the current spawn point flag, and the color.txt will be read to signify the room background color, in RGB. Maybe also import some HUD stuff.

Summary: You can customize any static background.
Quite simple idea, we need some stuff other than new monsters/items/areas, and something not a hassle to implement.
~Aqua

Yankyal

Would people be able to upload offensive images and use them as static backgrounds?
Isaiah 13:15-18
Exodus 21:15
Deuteronomy 17:12
Leviticus 20:10

Chaos

He's talking about custom backgrounds by making it load it different image files for it instead of the default.  If you know how that works, no, there would be no 'uploading' involved.  It'd only be client-side, and thus appear for only you.  At least, I assume that's what he's talking about.

But the real question is...why?
Jake says:
lol, I found God! He was hiding under a big rock this entire time that lil jokster

Lucifer

Quote from: Chaos on November 14, 2010, 11:54:26 PM
He's talking about custom backgrounds by making it load it different image files for it instead of the default.  If you know how that works, no, there would be no 'uploading' involved.  It'd only be client-side, and thus appear for only you.  At least, I assume that's what he's talking about.

Wait.
You're asking why I wouldn't want to plaster my SO background with numerous images of gigantic tits?
I question your sexuality.

T-Rok

Quote from: Lucifer on November 15, 2010, 12:23:38 AM
Quote from: Chaos on November 14, 2010, 11:54:26 PM

Wait.
You're asking why I wouldn't want to plaster my SO background with numerous images of gigantic tits?
I question your sexuality.

Lucifer, I hope you know that your comments are why I read this forums. xD

ARTgames

I would not mind. Just to change up looks.

CherryPie

That's what has been done in maplestory private servers ages ago. You can even modify the skill sprites there, but seriously, I think it is a bad idea to allow the users to modify the feel and look directly.
They should be able to modify it with criticism in these forums, but directly? meh..

Mr Pwnage

Perky but just verging the edge of more wasted dev time...
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -Albert Einstein (1947)

http://www.benmward.com/projects.php

Seifer

Very pointless, and for what?

Aqua

The main reason being that it is against the rules to modify files. Also, SO uses 7z compression for its resources, and GM comes with a built in file opener function. Not much extra work is required for this.
I've gotten quite bored by SO's backgrounds, and marvel how some of you can look at them for the years we have. I would probably make an entire scheme or two given the ability.
Also, as of now, you can't modify the flag image...
~Aqua

Mystery

AKA Paradox/EnragedDeity/Occurrence.
Quote from: Medgar Evers
You can kill a man, but you can't kill an idea.

RayRay

I was thinking the same thing. I don't see why we can just make the pictures/graphics whatever we like. What if you incorrectly land on something, like there's a hole but the game was built to make you stand there. :/

Freeforall

You mean like that?

I did that in like 2 seconds, please don't judge the picture, just the idea.

Aqua

Like this.

One I made ages ago.
Quote from: RayRay on November 15, 2010, 07:13:02 PM
I was thinking the same thing. I don't see why we can just make the pictures/graphics whatever we like. What if you incorrectly land on something, like there's a hole but the game was built to make you stand there. :/
Seeing as it's all controlled by you, such an event would be your fault.
~Aqua

RayRay

Quote from: Aqua on November 15, 2010, 07:37:16 PM
Like this.

One I made ages ago.
~Aqua
Whoa! That's kinda neat! : )
So, but the question is, HOW WILL WE DO THIS?!?!?!?!/1!?!1/1/1/1!?!one!?!slash1/1?!