News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

@owner of this Project

Started by Gatupojk, August 14, 2009, 06:59:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gatupojk

Couldn't you lower the price to register to like 2 Dollars? I think you get enough anyway :p
But I think you would get much more money on this if you made it free and used donation to get some special items and so on in-game :)

I played this game before, it was awesome! but now it cost money? :p

crozier

Meiun is working on an entire new game which may be far better.
He is nice enough to create an entire server so people can play while he is working on a new game.
Servers aren't free you know.

Torch

http://www.stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.msg0;boardseen#new

Donations are to pay for the server that is hosting SO2, while SO3 is in development. SO3 will be free to play when it's released. Meiun isn't making money out of this, all donations go towards keeping the SO2 server up.

Gatupojk

Oh, Didn't read the entire thing I guess :S So SO3 will be free :D? Awesome!

EDIT; Anyone know a date SO3 will be opened or somewhere near the opening date? :)
Guess no date have been set yet? :p

Torch

Quote from: Gatupojk on August 14, 2009, 07:41:17 PM
Oh, Didn't read the entire thing I guess :S So SO3 will be free :D? Awesome!

EDIT; Anyone know a date SO3 will be opened or somewhere near the opening date? :)
Guess no date have been set yet? :p
Yep, no release date. It all depends on how much time the team is willing to dedicate toward it's production.

Gatupojk

'Kay, thanks for telling me :p

Lingus

Quote from: Torch on August 14, 2009, 07:37:30 PM

Donations are to pay for the server that is hosting SO2, while SO3 is in development. SO3 will be free to play when it's released. Meiun isn't making money out of this, all donations go towards keeping the SO2 server up.
Actually, I'm not entirely sure if that's true. I believe the current server is free. I believe it is being hosted out of Meiun's home or something similar to that. The donations that are being collected currently, I assume, are being saved up to pay for a professional quality dedicated server for when SO3 comes out.

In any case, it seems like people have been much more willing to donate the $10 required to play the SO2 server than ever before. Donor/premium items might work, but it would require a good amount of thought and effort on the part of Meiun and his graphics team. Not to mention doing something like that for the current version is very unlikely. And anyways, the real key is to come up with ideas that would be incentive enough for people to donate, but not powerful enough in the game so as to give those people with more money an advantage of those that do not. It very likely that nothing will do that to the efficiency that donate to play has done.

Torch

Quote from: Lingus on August 17, 2009, 05:46:21 PM
Quote from: Torch on August 14, 2009, 07:37:30 PM

Actually, I'm not entirely sure if that's true. I believe the current server is free. I believe it is being hosted out of Meiun's home or something similar to that. The donations that are being collected currently, I assume, are being saved up to pay for a professional quality dedicated server for when SO3 comes out.

In any case, it seems like people have been much more willing to donate the $10 required to play the SO2 server than ever before. Donor/premium items might work, but it would require a good amount of thought and effort on the part of Meiun and his graphics team. Not to mention doing something like that for the current version is very unlikely. And anyways, the real key is to come up with ideas that would be incentive enough for people to donate, but not powerful enough in the game so as to give those people with more money an advantage of those that do not. It very likely that nothing will do that to the efficiency that donate to play has done.
Maplestory sells items that cover your equipment, but don't add any bonus. For example, you can buy a football coverup for shurikans, so  that while you still have whatever shurikan equipped, you appear to be throwing a football.

EpicPhailure

I think that the NX items of Maplestory won't have as much as an effect on S.O. if it were to be used. Stick Online has a smaller variety of items that are limited to mainly blunt weapons and swords (or at least, what I can think of at the time), and hats.

ARTgames

awh yes. the micropayment system that more and more games are using today that also works vary well. I do think meiun wanted to do something like this with pets or something.

I like micropayment systems its just i don't what it taken too far. like how a sertant racing game that i will not speak the name of makes you pay for more for stuff in the game. >_<

Meiun

While the donor server is not being hosted professionally on a high powered server in any legit "datacenter" like it was when it was public (and like it will again for version 3), it still costs a reasonable amount of money for the connection that it is being hosted off of. Also don't forget that people are paying a one time fee for something they typically have ended up playing for very long periods of times. Most of all however, you guys gotta remember that this server is currently just up as a thank you to all of those who have donated a reasonable amount ($10 being what we decided was reasonable enough to deserve that kind of thank you, otherwise people would start doing stuff like donating $1, or just spare change... which trust me, people have tried to pull). But yeah, spare money also certainly doesn't hurt when it comes down to getting a big nice server for version 3 either.

I of course am definitely planning on having version 3 be totally free to play. We will of course still need to be making some much more major payments on the server for it than I do the donor one. Hopefully people will still be willing to donate like they did when SO was public in the past, but this likely wont be enough (I did have to fork out a good amount of my own money quite a few times when version 2 was public, even though we did have a group of very generous players). To help make up any differences we encounter, I may do some sort of in-game rewards to those who donate significant amounts. However, I can promise you that none of these rewards will in any way give players any sort of unfair advantages. The goal of any such item/reward would just be to give donors something cool, not something "powerful." I also agree that many free games take the whole cash system too far, so you can rest assured that we won't be offering any ways for players to "buy their way to victory" in Stick Online.

Lingus

sillyank69

Quote from: Meiun on August 18, 2009, 12:33:14 AM
While the donor server is not being hosted professionally on a high powered server in any legit "datacenter" like it was when it was public (and like it will again for version 3), it still costs a reasonable amount of money for the connection that it is being hosted off of. Also don't forget that people are paying a one time fee for something they typically have ended up playing for very long periods of times. Most of all however, you guys gotta remember that this server is currently just up as a thank you to all of those who have donated a reasonable amount ($10 being what we decided was reasonable enough to deserve that kind of thank you, otherwise people would start doing stuff like donating $1, or just spare change... which trust me, people have tried to pull). But yeah, spare money also certainly doesn't hurt when it comes down to getting a big nice server for version 3 either.

I of course am definitely planning on having version 3 be totally free to play. We will of course still need to be making some much more major payments on the server for it than I do the donor one. Hopefully people will still be willing to donate like they did when SO was public in the past, but this likely wont be enough (I did have to fork out a good amount of my own money quite a few times when version 2 was public, even though we did have a group of very generous players). To help make up any differences we encounter, I may do some sort of in-game rewards to those who donate significant amounts. However, I can promise you that none of these rewards will in any way give players any sort of unfair advantages. The goal of any such item/reward would just be to give donors something cool, not something "powerful." I also agree that many free games take the whole cash system too far, so you can rest assured that we won't be offering any ways for players to "buy their way to victory" in Stick Online.
Well we did have people that donated a good amount during SO2 when it was public, but if the time comes when nobody is donating because they are playing SO3, you should charge another one time fee,or have us pay yearly, that way you aren't using your own pocket money to keep SO3 up.:) for example 10$ a year is a fair amount, Im sure everyone can make 10$ in a year, lol thats about 1000$ a year if we had 100 players,and im positive we'll have over 100 players.Save 3 cents a day and you'll have $10.95 at the end of the year. Donate that to STICK ONLINE 3!!! Hey STICKONLINE 3! DO THE SAVE 3 CENTS A DAY!! AND AND DONATE TO MEIUN WHAT YOU SAVE IN A YEAR!!!=D

EpicPhailure

@The above: No. Stick Online 3 is going to be free.

sillyank69

Well then we can make a group of people that will do the Save 3 Cents a day.3 for Stick online 3! 3 freaking little honest Abe's.Can you seriously not make that? D=