News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

Possible Malware

Started by T-Rok, December 01, 2011, 03:14:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

T-Rok

I'm sure it's nothing, but this popped up twice.

House

yes i got that to last night

Scotty

Someone is likely hotlinking to that mentioned site in their sig, or maybe a picture in the topic, or some form of image embedding.  Once it tries to make that http request to the site to pull the image, the browser checks and spikes with a warning, despite that it is a relatively harmless image (hopefully). 

EDIT, just checked, it's Shadster's avatar image, I'd recommend he or someone remove his avatar as that is an annoyance and likely to scare folks.  Also would probably be in his best interest to run a virus scan just to be certain he didn't pick up anything from that site when he picked out his avatar.

sly 3 4 me

I have removed the image from Shadster's profile on Elitectf, can't do it from here as I don't have that type of permission. I can assure you there is no malware on elitectf.com. It is a simple community I am a part of on a small 2d game called Soldat. Tell me if the message pops up again and I will try to change how the images display on the site when linked.

Meiun

Quote from: Scotty on December 01, 2011, 10:07:28 AM
Someone is likely hotlinking to that mentioned site in their sig, or maybe a picture in the topic, or some form of image embedding.  Once it tries to make that http request to the site to pull the image, the browser checks and spikes with a warning, despite that it is a relatively harmless image (hopefully). 

EDIT, just checked, it's Shadster's avatar image, I'd recommend he or someone remove his avatar as that is an annoyance and likely to scare folks.  Also would probably be in his best interest to run a virus scan just to be certain he didn't pick up anything from that site when he picked out his avatar.
Thanks for the find Scott. I removed his avatar and issued him a warning. He is on the mod watch list now.

If anyone else see's any other suspicious activity please be sure to report it.

sly 3 4 me

Quote from: Meiun on December 01, 2011, 07:19:06 PM
Quote from: Scotty on December 01, 2011, 10:07:28 AM

Thanks for the find Scott. I removed his avatar and issued him a warning. He is on the mod watch list now.

If anyone else see's any other suspicious activity please be sure to report it.

Not quite sure as to why that would be necessary, by viewing the public profile of him on this site it shows he hasn't been active in 5 months, and 3 months for Elitectf. I know him in real life and he didn't alter any of the pictures or URLs. Either a flaw on Google detection, here, or Elitectf. My money is on Google.

RayRay

I think the removing his avatar part to not get Google Chrome users afraid was good, but not for the warning since sly did state there was never a malware on that site. Google failed probably because it had a bad advertisement there.

Meiun

Alright, I will go ahead and remove the warning. I didn't actually warn him enough for it to effect anything for him though, I just wanted to make him aware of what had happened in attempt to prevent it from happening again.

Scotty

It's just a precaution Chrome has, which to be honest, I have nothing against them doing.  I'd be willing to bet at the time that he found that avatar that the site wasn't on Chrome's "black list", which is why we are just now seeing this error, but maybe they had something uploaded to the site later on that was faulty, thus causing Chrome to go haywire whenever there's a link to it.  I've seen this once or twice already on other sites, typically never involves the end user as it's just an image, but as long as the request is made to the domain, no matter the content, it'll go nuts.

Didn't mean to get anyone in trouble, was just suggesting that he run an anti-virus to clean up stuff on his end in case there's more, and for a mod to remove the avatar so I don't get that annoying "THE SKY IS FALLING" error.

sly 3 4 me

It was due to an ad linking to a Russian site to activate some bogus program or something. The methods by which those ads are selected never ceases to amaze me on the random junk they find...

Scotty

Quote from: sly 3 4 me on December 02, 2011, 11:46:13 AM
It was due to an ad linking to a Russian site to activate some bogus program or something. The methods by which those ads are selected never ceases to amaze me on the random junk they find...

Was it google's adsense that displayed it or something else?

Shadster

Yeah, sorry about that guys, I had no idea and wasn't really into these forums.
Sly informed me on xfire, so that is messed up on what happened here.

Scotty

Quote from: Shadster on December 02, 2011, 04:33:20 PM
Yeah, sorry about that guys, I had no idea and wasn't really into these forums.
Sly informed me on xfire, so that is messed up on what happened here.

No reason to apologize, it's likely you weren't even aware, much less had intent.  It's just Chrome being Chrome.