News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

Gift Ideas

Started by DarkTrinity, September 29, 2012, 12:36:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarkTrinity

So I need a guy's opinion on what to get my boyfriend for our "anniversary". (In quotes because my mom made a snarky remark about me calling it that when we're not married). Anyways, we've been dating for 6 years on October 8th. Since I recently got a job I haven't been able to spend much money on him in the past, so I wanted to spend a fair amount, but not go overboard.
I was thinking of buying him an Xbox 360, since he likes playing call of duty with his friends. So my thought was to get him his own xbox(since his friend kept bringing his over) and CoD:MW3. But I'm worried that CoD is kind of outdated, and possibly so is an xbox? I also considered buying him a newer game such as Borderlands 2, which he has said he wants to try, but I'm not sure if it's something he really wants to try or is just a passing remark while watching one of the commercials.... (and I'd get him a few months of xbox live to go with it if I go with this idea)

Basically, I really want a guys opinion on this. About the only 2 games I've seen him actively play are WoW and CoD and Left 4 Dead. I think a big part of that is he's lacking in money, I paid for his WoW (because I was playing on his acc), he used a friend's Steam account to play left 4 dead, anbd he doesn't have any consoles to play games on. I want to get him something he'll actually use for more than a month.

I guess my biggest questions are 1. Is CoD:MW3 too outdated?  2. Is an Xbox a good idea, or will it be obsolete in a year? 3. Should I think of something else entirely?

Jmac

1. Seeing as Black Ops II is coming out early November, I would say that MW3 isn't the best thing to get.

2. The PS3 and 360 have a couple more years before they will get replaced by next gen console, so you should be alright getting him an Xbox.

3. Personally, I would recommend a PS3 over an Xbox 360 unless he has many friends who play on Live and/or he would enjoy the Xbox exclusive games more (like Halo). I say this primarily for the free online services. I have both a 360 and a PS3, as well as a job, but I'd much rather save my money than continue paying a Live subscription. These are just my opinions, so no one start a console war please :3.

DarkTrinity

Quote from: Jmacrules on September 29, 2012, 12:58:29 PM
1. Seeing as Black Ops II is coming out early November, I would say that MW3 isn't the best thing to get.

2. The PS3 and 360 have a couple more years before they will get replaced by next gen console, so you should be alright getting him an Xbox.

3. Personally, I would recommend a PS3 over an Xbox 360 unless he has many friends who play on Live and/or he would enjoy the Xbox exclusive games more (like Halo). I say this primarily for the free online services. I have both a 360 and a PS3, as well as a job, but I'd much rather save my money than continue paying a Live subscription. These are just my opinions, so no one start a console war please :3.

Well yea, I was leaning towards Xbox because his friends have xbox live accounts. (otherwise I'd just buy him CoD for the PC ;D)
Maybe in that case I'll buy the Xbox, and preorder black ops2...

Titan

I think the xbox is a pretty good idea, I'm not 100% sure on what your feelings/thoughts on it are, but you could always buy him a used xbox.

As far as games, I enjoy playing CoD multiplayer, but it gets a bit boring sometimes.  Depending on how much you're looking to spend you could always get him a copy of Left 4 Dead and another game.(Maybe the original Borderlands if he hasn't played it?)

You could also preorder something(Black Ops 2, Halo 4 if he's into that.)

Livin' in a lonely world.

buffi

I might suggest Gears of War 3 as a game for him. I'd say it's the best shooter I've ever played. The downsides are that it's third person (may be a downside, I suppose, but I don't find it a problem personally), it's not the most popular game, so I tend to see familiar faces quite frequently in the games I play (although I do play a playlist that doesn't have the dlc maps, because I don't like the new maps, so it's quite a lower population playlist than the normal tdm), and it has quite a steep learning curve, so he'd have to prepare to get raped for a bit until he gets the hang of things and has a chance to get good at it. Despite that, though, it's really a great game. There's definitely enough people on that you don't spend more than ten to fifteen seconds looking for a game, and the new Gears of War isn't coming out until (supposedly) March of 2013, so it won't get outdated for a solid 6 months or so. If he cares about story line for it, you can get both of the prequels for like five bucks each (that's for used, which for just doing the single player I'd think would be fine, but that may just be me) and thirty bucks for a new Gears of War 3. Just an idea, it's for xbox 360 only, so if you get him one of those, you could get him Gears to try out.

DarkTrinity

Well, it has been done. I bought him an Xbox, a second controller, 4 months of Live, Borderlands 2 and pre-ordered Black Ops 2. I posted almost this same thing on facebook (and hid the post from my bf of course) and got a lot of feedback. Due to Scotty's suggestion, I suggested to my boyfriend that we take a 30-45 minute drive to a nice state park and hike around and such and possibly a picnic. I am also making him strawberry cupcakes that he always scarfs down like a monster. lol.

Thank you all for the suggestions, if not for Jmac I wouldn't have thought of preordering black ops 2, lol. I did also consider getting him borderlands, final fantasy, and gears of war 3(I've heard pretty good things about it from other people too) and even some of the past CoD, but then i remembered I'm not made of money ;D There's always Christmas too! lol. So I stuck with what I know about him and I know he loves call of duty so Black Ops 2 seemed the #1 choice. But it seemed silly to buy him an xbox and not be able to play it for another month and a half.. And borderlands 2 looked interesting to me so hey, maybe it's something I can play with him. ;D

Lucifer

If you're ever looking for more gift ideas in the future, or simply some laughs, check out out this website.

DarkTrinity

Quote from: Lucifer on September 30, 2012, 01:28:19 PM
If you're ever looking for more gift ideas in the future, or simply some laughs, check out out this website.

LOL. I would totally get this.  http://www.etsy.com/listing/65732979/video-game-junkie-groom-bride-with

Yankyal

Quote from: DarkTrinity on September 30, 2012, 12:09:25 PM
Well, it has been done. I bought him an Xbox, a second controller, 4 months of Live, Borderlands 2 and pre-ordered Black Ops 2. I posted almost this same thing on facebook (and hid the post from my bf of course) and got a lot of feedback. Due to Scotty's suggestion, I suggested to my boyfriend that we take a 30-45 minute drive to a nice state park and hike around and such and possibly a picnic. I am also making him strawberry cupcakes that he always scarfs down like a monster. lol.

Thank you all for the suggestions, if not for Jmac I wouldn't have thought of preordering black ops 2, lol. I did also consider getting him borderlands, final fantasy, and gears of war 3(I've heard pretty good things about it from other people too) and even some of the past CoD, but then i remembered I'm not made of money ;D There's always Christmas too! lol. So I stuck with what I know about him and I know he loves call of duty so Black Ops 2 seemed the #1 choice. But it seemed silly to buy him an xbox and not be able to play it for another month and a half.. And borderlands 2 looked interesting to me so hey, maybe it's something I can play with him. ;D
that lucky bastard. sweets and videogames what more could a man ask for
Isaiah 13:15-18
Exodus 21:15
Deuteronomy 17:12
Leviticus 20:10

Forum

Quote from: Lucifer on September 30, 2012, 01:28:19 PM
Dayum...lotta inventions
Officially quitted