News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

Time travel and thoughts on the future

Started by Freeforall, October 10, 2012, 08:24:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Freeforall

Odd topic, I know, but these things fascinate me.

In my point of view, I don't see time travel being possible, for a couple of reasons. One, if it WERE possible, wouldn't someone from the future already have come back to us? Also, time travel doesn't theoretically change your position, but just the time from the place you stand. So, if you were to travel back in time, you would still be in the same place, just at a different moment in time. (Obviously that isn't proven, it's just my theory) There is a problem with this. If you were in the same place, but in a different time, what happens to the formally known present time? Would their time change aswell, or would it be sort of a "Client sided" thing? That's the part that gets me. How can you exist in a different time as everyone else if you are in the same place? Another thing, if you were to time travel into the future, doesn't that mean that the future already happened? How could you go to that point in time if it hasn't yet existed? I don't know much about it, I probably sound pretty dumb, but I love to question the possibility of things.

What I think about the future, and other thoughts.

I don't think we have a long time here left on this wonderful planet. And by that, I mean I think we will have screwed this place up so much in the next couple of centuries that we would go extinct. What about space travel? I think we will eventually walk on Mars. That's about as far as we physically will go. I don't think we, as humans, were intended to be much farther from our home planet. And what about life outside our galaxy? I think it could possibly exist somewhere millions of light years away, but not as we are used to seeing. I picture something like bacteria or simple plant life, but nothing as complex as us. If there WAS another place out there with beings as intelligent as us, I think we would already have found a way to communicate.

I would love to hear your opinions about all of this. It's a pretty broad topic, but it's really great to talk about.

TANK

I sometimes think its more like a coloring book where you just keep adding and coloring on the same page. Think of it like just constant changes are happenin to the present that we can record with memory and call it the past, when really were not moving forward in time at all.

Forum

Time travel just might...just might exist because of a possible cell phone being used in 1924, " http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiIrpEMbQ2M "here is the proof but it does seem odd you could do so much more from the future coming to the past.

Also there is a man which i do believe may be from the future, John Titor " http://www.squidoo.com/johntitor. " He made claims about the 2000s which are very true..." This time period is looked at as being full of lazy, self-centered, civically ignorant sheep " :P

But what really comes to my attention is alien lifeforms, when i was watching a movie on tv about a guy abuducted my Nordic aliens which look like human beings and come from somewhere way over human technology reach. They might even be living undercover with us humans, blonde haired - blue eyed, tall people, that are happy and bring you a positive feeling. There are also grey aliens which are the opposite but look like aliens and harm you. There are lots of alien encounters and lots of evidence and such some people are hiding online and through the government.Oh why can't there be UFO's in my area that can abduct me so i can see what exactly these"aliens" do!..
Officially quitted

DarkTrinity

First on the time travel subject.. I heard a nice little comment about this the other day that basically was making the comment that if there were time travelers from the future, and they did come back but didn't change anything, because each moment in your life happened for a reason. (butterfly effect pretty much).
Or you don't even know, they could have changed something, but you would never notice it. Say they went into your past to the moment say, when your mother died. Well if they changed that, your mother didn't die, and your mother dying in the past is a past that technically you never knew (or don't know anymore, because they changed it so now it didn't happen)
Thinking about time travel hurts my brain xD There are so many loopholes that are just painful to think through when they get so complex.

As for the "time traveler caught on tape" thing, my assumption is it's a hearing device. And unless someone can prove to me it's not, that's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

My last comment on time travel: 1.21 gigawatts. That is all.

As for the subject of alien life forms that you started, I think it's ridiculous to rule out the possibility of lifeforms as intelligent as us (or even more intelligent) existing somewhere in the vast universe. I also think it's contradictory to say "I don't think we, as humans, were intended to be much farther from our home planet" and then say "If there WAS another place out there with beings as intelligent as us, I think we would already have found a way to communicate."
We can't travel outside our solar system... What if they have the same problems? And from my understanding, people have indeed sent out signals into the depths of space that translate into a message of some form. But if you know anything about how fast sounds travels and how fawking huge the universe is, well, it makes sense why we haven't heard back from anything or anyone.(although there have been people who said they've gotten messages back, but anyone who believes in aliens is a whackjob, so who'd believe what they say right?)

I mean, there aren't just a couple little solar systems chilling in the couple galaxies next door. There are an infinite amount. So maybe there are no planets with lifeforms near us, that doesn't mean they don't exist.

T-Rok

Quote from: DarkTrinity on October 11, 2012, 09:09:59 PM
First on the time travel subject.. I heard a nice little comment about this the other day that basically was making the comment that if there were time travelers from the future, and they did come back but didn't change anything, because each moment in your life happened for a reason. (butterfly effect pretty much).
Or you don't even know, they could have changed something, but you would never notice it. Say they went into your past to the moment say, when your mother died. Well if they changed that, your mother didn't die, and your mother dying in the past is a past that technically you never knew (or don't know anymore, because they changed it so now it didn't happen)
Thinking about time travel hurts my brain xD There are so many loopholes that are just painful to think through when they get so complex.

That's close to the general consensus that is agreed upon that I learned in physics. Except instead of it not existing anymore, it causes you to go down a new branch on the time tree. Because time is only an illusion, it does not really exist. We perceive time as a one directional force because we are a three dimensional being. When time really has an infinite number of directions. Here, this video about the dimensions that explain what I'm saying in a better way. At least, I THINK these are the right videos. Regardless, they are  a great watch.

Connecting the 10 dimensions: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkxieS-6WuA
Duration, the fourth dimension: http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_288081&feature=iv&src_vid=JkxieS-6WuA&v=MN4KC_zlW4g

Yankyal

real men follow the law of entropy and time travel is a direct contradiction to pretty much all thermodynamics, its spitting in the face of physics as it is.

so yeah i agree time travel, at least backwards, is impossible and a silly thing to consider.

now some sort of psuedo time travel to the future through near light speed travel maybe, not in my life time or in the next thousand !@#$ing years but maybe lol
Isaiah 13:15-18
Exodus 21:15
Deuteronomy 17:12
Leviticus 20:10

11clock

Unless time travelers are ninjas, time travel is impossible.

Think about it. Has there ever been a single marked event in history about a time traveler? Either time travel can't happen, or only forward time travel is possible.

Ceroblitz

This is how I believe time travel would work if it would ever exist.

Time should not be considered linear in any way, so if for example: A time traveler decides to travel 20 years into the past and fix a huge crisis in his current time, it would not alter his original time whatsoever. Whatever small event that he has changed will essentially create a new path to which a different future would be created, so going back in time to fix events would only alter another future, and not his own.

Based on that, if there was a time traveler going back in time, you would not be effected by it because he changes the path that he creates. So going back to change future events would not effect anything, but rather the path that he changed (thus in order for him to experience his effect on time, he must stay there for 20 years to remain in that plane).

A time traveler going forward in time, however, would impact the reality that he left from, just from the point traveled to and onward. (ex: going forward 5 years in time, people will recognize your existence from the point you left, if they remember you, no alternate reality unless the time travel screws up)

For the alteration of different realities, only comes down to not time traveling, but reality changing machines. So time travel is inadequate in what people intend time travel to do (such as changing current realities), and something else is needed for that. The only time a time traveler will be recorded is when such a thing is created in the current reality existing. And even then, if time is traveled by one person, that person would most likely be never seen again, unless they invent something to go through all possible realities that will result from any action.

A problem that I would also say that time travel has is spacial relation. If one travels to the past or to the future, they must travel in relation to the earth or else they will be horribly misplaced from where they intended to be ( because the planet is spinning, solar system moving, galaxies, universe... etc).

diagram I drew

So basically, if time travel is invented, the person traveling in time will never be seen again, as the effect from traveling through time puts him in a different reality then what is currently conceived (except when going forward in time).

havok

Quote from: Ceroblitz on October 13, 2012, 09:31:46 PM
This is how I believe time travel would work if it would ever exist.

Time should not be considered linear in any way, so if for example: A time traveler decides to travel 20 years into the past and fix a huge crisis in his current time, it would not alter his original time whatsoever. Whatever small event that he has changed will essentially create a new path to which a different future would be created, so going back in time to fix events would only alter another future, and not his own.

Based on that, if there was a time traveler going back in time, you would not be effected by it because he changes the path that he creates. So going back to change future events would not effect anything, but rather the path that he changed (thus in order for him to experience his effect on time, he must stay there for 20 years to remain in that plane).

A time traveler going forward in time, however, would impact the reality that he left from, just from the point traveled to and onward. (ex: going forward 5 years in time, people will recognize your existence from the point you left, if they remember you, no alternate reality unless the time travel screws up)

For the alteration of different realities, only comes down to not time traveling, but reality changing machines. So time travel is inadequate in what people intend time travel to do (such as changing current realities), and something else is needed for that. The only time a time traveler will be recorded is when such a thing is created in the current reality existing. And even then, if time is traveled by one person, that person would most likely be never seen again, unless they invent something to go through all possible realities that will result from any action.

A problem that I would also say that time travel has is spacial relation. If one travels to the past or to the future, they must travel in relation to the earth or else they will be horribly misplaced from where they intended to be ( because the planet is spinning, solar system moving, galaxies, universe... etc).

diagram I drew

So basically, if time travel is invented, the person traveling in time will never be seen again, as the effect from traveling through time puts him in a different reality then what is currently conceived (except when going forward in time).

I really like that but from movies and shit. another thing is you can never change the past as hard as you try. Just throwing that out there personal I go with the picture lol

Lingus

Quote from: Yankyal on October 13, 2012, 07:17:49 PM
real men follow the law of entropy and time travel is a direct contradiction to pretty much all thermodynamics, its spitting in the face of physics as it is.

so yeah i agree time travel, at least backwards, is impossible and a silly thing to consider.

now some sort of psuedo time travel to the future through near light speed travel maybe, not in my life time or in the next thousand !@#$ing years but maybe lol
Actually, I've heard that there are no laws of physics that would not allow for time travel, in either direction. Time travel is theoretically possible.

That doesn't say anything about the paradox issues though. Honestly, I don't think we'll ever know what really happens on that regard. I believe it's something along the lines of alternate realities, but exactly how that works I don't think anyone can say. We can throw out all of the theories that have been discussed. It's all been thought of before. It's been done hundreds and hundreds of times in movies and books and TV. It's been done very poorly, and very well. It's been explained very poorly, and very well...

Lucifer

Lingus

I have to say, as much as Dr. Who is actually about time travel, I love how they get around the paradox issue. In essense, all of time and space is so vast that they simply just don't cross paths with themselves. And basically, anything that they do in the past, they have always done, so they really aren't rewriting history. On very rare occasions they have created a paradox and things get a little crazy, but they deal with that in interesting ways too.

Yankyal

Quote from: Lingus on October 15, 2012, 12:38:04 PM
Quote from: Yankyal on October 13, 2012, 07:17:49 PM

Actually, I've heard that there are no laws of physics that would not allow for time travel, in either direction. Time travel is theoretically possible.

That doesn't say anything about the paradox issues though. Honestly, I don't think we'll ever know what really happens on that regard. I believe it's something along the lines of alternate realities, but exactly how that works I don't think anyone can say. We can throw out all of the theories that have been discussed. It's all been thought of before. It's been done hundreds and hundreds of times in movies and books and TV. It's been done very poorly, and very well. It's been explained very poorly, and very well...
again, to reverse time you would have to reverse entropy....and you can't. that's a law of physics, not sure how you could get around it.
Isaiah 13:15-18
Exodus 21:15
Deuteronomy 17:12
Leviticus 20:10