News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

Some school work

Started by Chaos111, February 07, 2013, 06:59:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chaos111

Hey guys, I have been given an assessment task at school in which I have to plan and create an entire day of eating for a person with altered food needs. These needs include, but are not limited to, A severe food allergy, Intolarence, Coelic Disease, Diabetes, Athlete, Pregnant, PKU, Obesity, etc.
I would really appreciate some help on this if any of you have the time. If you want to help me, send me a PM.
Life is only the beginning of the story.

crozier

Well my mother and I have Celiac Disease, which kind of sucks. It grants us ann something of a allergy (it can deal a great deal of harm to our bodies) to wheat, rye, and barley so we have to carefully watch what we eat. Luckily there is a lot of replacement foods that we can eat. Some places Sprouts have really fine selections of corn or rice versions of ordinary foods that we can't normally eat. Some of those hippy-ish markets have gluten-free bagels, pasta, brownies, cake, cookies, flour (corn/rice/potato flour), among other things. When my mother was younger the selection was quite small, indeed.  Some restaurants have adapted to these conditions; if I recall the owner of PF Chang's and Italian restaurant Pizanos have Celiac.
Then there's the topic of not eating according to this diet. So this is what happened when I first found out I had the disease. For about a year and a half I was getting serious cramps and stomach problems. I also was on the 5th percentile according to weight and somewhere around the 10th percentile for height. So I was a real small kid. I was spending once a week in the nurse's office at school. Seeing that my mother has the disease it was likely that this was what was causing my lack of growth. After checking in with an expert, the results came in and I suddenly stopped having to eat soooo many things. I was no longer able to eat lunches that the school provided. So I've been eating sack-lunch for about 7 years now, and currently I am 5' 10" in height (above average) and a mere 115 pounds (very under average).
Also there is the peer pressure that I undergo every day. I feel embarrassed having to say "no thank you" at school parties or when kind students pass out cookies or cupcakes out of good will. But once I explain to them, they understand and apologize (to me!?!). It's quite a strange feeling as they are in no way responsible for my condition.
Over time I have grown used to not being able to eat any wheat products. It's not that bad.

Also don't forget that Jews do not eat pork and Muslims do not eat beef, for that's an interesting subject (I am neither but I just felt like mentioning it.)
And if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Scotty

Quote from: crozier on February 07, 2013, 09:20:24 PM
Also don't forget that Jews do not eat pork and Muslims do not eat beef, for that's an interesting subject (I am neither but I just felt like mentioning it.)

I think you might have been misinformed about Islam dietary law.  Muslims can eat meat, but there are restrictions (has to be killed/butchered by a muslim, cannot have any blood, etc).  You might be thinking of Hindu dietary law, which expressively forbids the consumption of beef.  Isam cannot eat pork, like Jews.  They don't say why in the Quran, but it's most likely because pigs are considered "unclean" to Muslims/Islam.

Chaos111

This assessment is based around one person from which I have to get their information such as name, age, reason for altered food needs, history of your food needs, stuff like that, so if you don't mind, could I send you the details I need? I have heard that Coelic Disease is quite unpleasant, it must suck.

Religion also counts as an altered food need ^^
Life is only the beginning of the story.

crozier

Quote from: Scotty on February 07, 2013, 09:46:22 PM
Quote from: crozier on February 07, 2013, 09:20:24 PM

I think you might have been misinformed about Islam dietary law.  Muslims can eat meat, but there are restrictions (has to be killed/butchered by a muslim, cannot have any blood, etc).  You might be thinking of Hindu dietary law, which expressively forbids the consumption of beef.  Isam cannot eat pork, like Jews.  They don't say why in the Quran, but it's most likely because pigs are considered "unclean" to Muslims/Islam.
Pardon my mistake!

Quote from: Chaos111 on February 07, 2013, 09:50:40 PM
This assessment is based around one person from which I have to get their information such as name, age, reason for altered food needs, history of your food needs, stuff like that, so if you don't mind, could I send you the details I need? I have heard that Coelic Disease is quite unpleasant, it must suck.

Religion also counts as an altered food need ^^
Yeah dude go for it, ask away. (in pm or here whatevers cool)
It's not that bad because I am so used to it. It's been years since I have been on this diet, but sometimes the smell of things like Ramen noodles or cake make me a little jealous XD