News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

I've been accepted into college!

Started by 11clock, February 23, 2013, 08:38:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

11clock

I've been accepted into Clemson University and I'm quite excited about it. My major is Computer Science.

Does anyone here with college experience have any advice?

Titan

I guess it depends on where you live (commuting student vs. dorm student)

I commute to college, but my college is also 2 miles down the road from me. I've been told that if you want to make some friends the first day go around your dorm floor and see if you can get a pickup game of soccer/football/etc. started.

Try and be respectful of your roommates stuff.(Not saying you wouldn't be) And keep your area clean.

Make sure you stay on top of your work and study, I procrastinate more than anyone I ever know and finish 5-10 page papers literally 20 minutes before my class starts. It tends to make things a bit hectic. I guess a good way to sum this up is work first party later.

To avoid gaining the freshman 15, go to the gym and work out, don't drink for no reason/to often. Try and do more outdoor activities instead of sitting inside.

Those are kind of just a few random tips, all/none of them may really apply to you, but I hope at least 1 of them hlelps.

Livin' in a lonely world.

Hikarikuen

Congrats! Since you're pretty religious, I'd strongly suggest getting involved in some faith-based groups - good way to make friends who won't get you arrested :P I hang out at my college's Newman Center all the time.

Specialboy

Only do that if computer science is something you're genuinely interested in. That's the only advise I can really give you.

Hikarikuen

Quote from: Specialboy on February 25, 2013, 02:09:05 AM
Only do that if computer science is something you're genuinely interested in. That's the only advise I can really give you.
Oh yeah, this is definitely good advice. I swear everybody says they want to go in computer science because they get to fiddle about on computers all day or whatever reasoning they use, but if you don't have anything special to offer your career it won't have anything special to offer you.

Tidus

Oh, I'm a computer science major too, currently in my sophomore year though.

My basic rules (if you are living on campus):

1) As long as you don't have class the next day, drink
2) Don't play pong if you suck
3) Don't let people talk you into doing keg stands, force others to instead
4) Don't skip your classes, unless its like a composition class or something stupid
5) Always look up your professors on www.ratemyprofessors.com and take the best/easiest ones
6) Avoid Friday classes whenever possible and avoid early morning Monday classes, trust me

And remember, we're computer science majors, we're supposed to be lazy, its alright. Its in our blood.

Also, talk to everyone around you the first week or two of school. Its the only time during the year when its not weird because everyone is looking for friends.

And lastly, remember no one knows anything about you in college, so you can change who you are and be someone else if you want.

11clock

I've been programming since I was 12, so I know what I'm doing. I wish to take my skills to the next level.

@Tidus
1. It will be three years until I'll be of legal drinking age (21 in United States), and I don't plan on drinking anyways.
2. If I don't play it because I suck, then I'll never get better.
3. What?
4. I don't plan on skipping any classes, no matter how useless they are.
5. Aren't the best ones the hardest ones?
6. Again, I'm not going to skip classes. According to those who have graduated from the same college as the one I'm going to, Friday and Monday classes are the best classes.
Just because I'm lazy doesn't mean that it's not a problem.
The last two pieces of information are good, thank you.

Titan

Quote from: 11clock on February 28, 2013, 10:06:07 PM
I've been programming since I was 12, so I know what I'm doing. I wish to take my skills to the next level.

@Tidus
1. It will be three years until I'll be of legal drinking age (21 in United States), and I don't plan on drinking anyways.
2. If I don't play it because I suck, then I'll never get better.
3. What?
4. I don't plan on skipping any classes, no matter how useless they are.
5. Aren't the best ones the hardest ones?
6. Again, I'm not going to skip classes. According to those who have graduated from the same college as the one I'm going to, Friday and Monday classes are the best classes.
Just because I'm lazy doesn't mean that it's not a problem.
The last two pieces of information are good, thank you.

I'm not going to tell you to go drink, because that's stupid and if you don't want to then don't, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
However it is also good to go to College with an open mind.

At least at my college skipping a day or two of classes isn't a big deal. Some of the best days I've had are skipping one class and hanging out with friends and doing stuff like skiing, gaming, movies. I only did this like twice, and it didn't affect my grades at all, had tons of fun doing it, so I would say this isn't really a big deal.

You're probably gonna have to have classes either Monday or Friday(trust me, shitty days to have classes). If they even let you pick your schedule, I'd try and get Friday free. Three day weekends really help you to relax and gives you plenty of time to finish weds/thurs classes homework. But I also am not/did not go to Clemson, so I'd take others words over mine.

Also, Tidus is completely right about the friends thing. Get to know your suite mates/floor mates, join a club. Making friends at college is pretty easy, especially at a bigger school were no one knows each other yet.

Yankyal

Isaiah 13:15-18
Exodus 21:15
Deuteronomy 17:12
Leviticus 20:10

Titan

Oh yeah one huge tip from those reddit threads I forgot, always buy your books online.

I saved ~$300 buying my books used online/renting over buying them.

DarkTrinity

Quote from: Titan on March 11, 2013, 08:25:14 AM
Oh yeah one huge tip from those reddit threads I forgot, always buy your books online.

^Yes, that does help a lot. Also, not sure if your college will do this, but mine would do a buyback at the end of every semester where they will buy your books from you (assuming professors didn't pick out new books for next semester). They buy them back cheaper but it's still a good amount of money. Otherwise you can sell them again online.

Yankyal

Quote from: Titan on March 11, 2013, 08:25:14 AM

or torrent them hue hue.

Yankyal

holy god i just finished the ap calculus bc exam.