News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

What Most Schools Don't Teach

Started by Scotty, February 28, 2013, 04:23:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scotty

Saw this floating around for a couple days now, many have probably already seen it:

http://youtu.be/dU1xS07N-FA

Matty_Richo

Yeah, I saw this yesterday, I quite enjoyed it, and I agree with most of it.
I think it's true that programming requires a lot of creativity and creativity isn't really touched upon much at school (at least not in our schooling system).
It seems to me that the aim of the education system here is to essentially teach people how to be teachers.

RayRay

Quote from: Matty_Richo on March 01, 2013, 07:31:49 AM
It seems to me that the aim of the education system here is to essentially teach people how to be teachers.
Like zombies? Heh, similar concept.

Saddens me that schools are not really interested in teaching one of the more advanced and influential careers out there. It's like if you want to be famous, you have to do it all by yourself. Of course colleges offer it, but the schools did not do their job on setting people toward a career.

The worst part about choosing my classes for my senior year is that programming is listed in my handout booklet, but it is not available in my school. =/

crozier

That's a shame RayRay. But I dunno about your assessment. Most U.S. high schools require stuff like English, algebra,geometry, chemistry, biology, history, government, economics, a fine arts class, a computer class, a physical education class, a language class, etc. Although there may be a few things missing (like computer science), a majority of the different categories  of occupations reflect these things. The world needs more biologists, doctors (statistics and science much?), and teachers. I don't know if its the school that should find what a person likes and doesn't like and literally push them towards a career. It should be the student's perseverance and interest in the subject to let them become famous. Heck my school required us to take a Pathfinders class, to push us towards a career (or at least push us into thinking about it). 

Interesting video. Pity that I didn't really get into programming at a young age. Gamemaking was always one of my favorite activities as a kid, but I took the latter path of graphic design. Anyway, I know they had computer programming class (by a different name) as early as 6th grade in my district, but I doubt they have it at every school.

ARTgames

I don't really think programming is that important to learn as critical thinking, problem solving and organization. To take a big problem and break it up into little steps and parts. Programming uses those fundamentals but its much more than that. With that aside programming can be helpful in a world filled with computers as programming is one of the most powerful ways to operate one.

In a way math class is like programming. Programming sort of has more fluff because you have to specify more to the computer. But with it you can build bigger structures to make bigger and more user friendly thing than a math expression. 

Mr Pwnage

XML doesn't open doors, it slams your precious balls in the middle of them.
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -Albert Einstein (1947)

http://www.benmward.com/projects.php