News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

A brief history on the ancient art of Fishmastery

Started by Toastyboat, November 19, 2013, 07:34:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toastyboat

Remember everyone, with Winter approaching for North America and other sovereign nations, we must resolve to not let go of our roots.  Being a Native Californian, and therefore experiencing some of the harshest Winters in the Free World, I feel like I've had a lot of time to really get in touch with the difference between a community that can survive the harsh 35-40 degree temperatures, and one that cannot.

Yes, fishing.

Little known fact but I'm always happy to enlighten:  Fishing was invented back in the 1800's in California as an alternative to gold as a renewable source of energy to survive the winter.

The goldfish was actually the first fish captured, because it was thought to contain real gold.

Ancient Californian's soon realized that while the fish were not actually gold, they in fact burned brighter and longer than gold in their smokestacks, and the scales could be used to create jewelery and armor.   This lead to an even more intensified interest in fishmastery, and fisherman quickly became renowned as artisans.  People would come from all across the free world to watch ancient Fishmasters practice their craft.

The fish-off between Jesus of Nazareth and Paul Bunyan was one of the most famed events in the history of Fishmastery, lasting 3 months, and with over 200,000 spectators worldwide.

Now you may be thinking: Toasty this sounds really cool, but how could I learn to be a Fishmaster?

And why wouldn't you think that?  I can't blame you, and that's what this guide is here for!

Now there are two main disciplines through which fish can be captured:  Snaring and Bearing.

Snaring is the easiest to grok, so I'll start there.  The basic principle of Snare Fishmastery is simple, you ensnare the fish, and bring it out of the water yourself.  This is usually done with a net, but the many modern Fishmasters prefer to use a string-rod.

Here is an example of an Ancient Californian net-master practicing his craft.

And here is mid-sized stringrod.  This method was popularized by Jesus of Nazareth after he used it to defeat Paul Bunyan for title of Grand Fishmaster.

To fish using either of these methods, however, requires an incredible amount of concentration and practice.  Fishmastery is considered an extreme sport, and for good reason.   Without due focus, and fish could at any time leap high out of the water and slice the unprepared with their razor-sharp fins.  Some inexperienced fisherman have even been drug deep under the water, devoured by their own prey in an ironic twist of fate. 

This balance however, of danger both to the hunter and the hunted, is what truely defines Fishmastery.  It is much like a martial art, and great focus must be maintained.  When the fish rears to attack, it's advances must be answered, and for every tug it gives, you too must strive to keep pace, while making sure not to overexert and break your tools.

Close calls like this are common.

Like a leaf on the wind you must weave between their attacks, and in doing so, with much patience and resolve, the fish are ready to be captured.

I hope that this has been an informative look into an ancient Californian tradition.  It's been a pleasure sharing and I'll continue my lessons soon, with the most ancient, pure, and efficient form of Fishmastery:  Bearing.

Until then, let me leave you with an ancient Californian saying:  "Later bro"

Mr Pwnage

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -Albert Einstein (1947)

http://www.benmward.com/projects.php

Tidus

thanks for bringing some culture into this place, people could learn a lot from you.