News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

A learning experience.

Started by TheRobert, December 08, 2013, 01:44:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheRobert

Hey guys,
Just wanted to let you guys know that I slid into the ditch today. Minnesota has some awesome roads, this time of the year.
What happened was, I was driving in my 97 ford explorer, right past my bosses house. On that particular road, there's a turn that is decently sharp, and as I came up to this turn, I started turning the wheel, but my car wasn't turning at all. So what I thought was a good idea at the time, was I cranked on my wheel, trying to get my car to turn. This failed. My car started sliding, and i slid right into the ditch. From the road, it was probably a 3-4 foot, steep decline into the ditch. luckily, we've had like a foot of snow already, and it was to an extent, a cushion. I hit the ditch, pretty hard. I don't know much about cars, but I broke the tie rod, off of my front left wheel. I immediately threw my car into Park, and hopped out, to assess the damage, and to make sure my tail pipe was clear. (Pro Tip: If you ever go into the ditch, or after a heavy snowfall, make sure your tailpipe is not obstructed; your car's exhaust will go back into the car and kill the passengers/driver with carbon monoxide poisoning. Don't grab it with your hand to clear it if it has been running, because it will be hot, instead, grab a stick or your windshield scraper and dig the snow/other obstruction out.)
After I figured out the tailpipe was clear, and that I wasn't going anywhere for a while, I sat in my car, in the ditch, and guess who almost immediately pulls up. Here's a hint, I went into the ditch, right in front of his house. Give up yet? Ok, well it was my boss, and all he had to say was, "Huhuh, interesting place to park." Then drove away.... Like, do these not have any purpose anymore? They obviously do, but he's the one person in Minnesota that would drive away from someone in the ditch. After that, like 3 consecutive cars pulled over and asked if I was ok, what happened, if I hit my head, if I needed medical attention, I'm completely fine by the way.
Two of the guys got me out of the ditch, and the very nice couple, in the third car, let me wear a pair of their gloves while we were pulling my car out of the ditch, and waited patiently in their car to make sure everything went ok. The 3 men proceeded to give me a number to a towing service, and a repair shop, and diagnosed what was wrong with my car. I think, I broke the tie rod, when I turned my wheel too quickly, as I did hear a loud pop. But it is still entirely possible that I broke it after I went into the ditch.
This accident happened at 4 p.m. and I worked at 5, and still showed up 5 minutes early.
What I was doing wrong, was I was still going the speed limit under "harsh" conditions. It is generally accepted that you drive ~10 miles under the speed limit, when weather is permitting. The roads are icy, and I was still going 30 mph, through a tight turn, and on an icy road.
What I took from this, was that not only should I slow down, but I should also not flip off my bosses house every time I go past it. (Or at least not when the roads are bad) ;D

Stay safe, friends.

venuse

good thing you are safe. i slid about 2 times thursday going only about 25 the first time trying to stop at a stop sign, luckily only fish tailed alittle, and the next time probably going only 15 to take a turn towards my house. slid right past the turn so i had to go to the next and reduced my speed to like 5 haha. didnt go in the ditch like you did but it just means if it is slick out it doesnt really matter what speed you go if your vehicle wants to slide it will. 

Chaos

Ah, driving in good ol' Minnesota winters.  Yeah, I tend to drive around 5 miles below on snowy roads.  That shit'll get you when you're least expecting it.
Jake says:
lol, I found God! He was hiding under a big rock this entire time that lil jokster

Scotty

I think it's pretty much mandatory for new drivers in snowy conditions to slide off the road at least once.  I did way back when I first got my license.  Luckily, it wasn't my first rodeo as a buddy of mine drove us into a ditch once, and my girlfriend at the time once tried to drive us into an abandoned parking lot (boing!) with inches too many of snow, so I knew how to get out.  It isn't necessarily that you need to drive less than the speed limit, but moreover that you need to understand your limits (which may in fact, be driving less than the speed limit).  Once you get familiar with your vehicle, you have a list of "that's taking it too far", and "we can do more" until you find your comfortable medium.  The speed that you were going at likely falls under the "that's taking it too far" category.

Also, a shovel, salt, and a rug (yep, that's right, a rug for putting under the tires) are must-have's in the trunk for the season.  Hopefully your repair bill isn't going to hump you in the mouth.

Hikarikuen

You must not be from one of the redneck parts of Minnesota - when one of my friends goes in the ditch it's typically followed by shouts of "yee-haw!"

Sucks that you were on your way to work, though, and that your boss didn't help you. So much for "Minnesota nice." Hopefully the other people made up for it.

DarkTrinity

We've had some pretty icy days here this winter... Not too long ago I was carpooling with my (other) brother to work and we hit a patch of ice before a stop sign and slid up onto the snow bank (as opposed to hitting the car stopped in front of us) and got stuck. Luckily we were about a block from work and 2 coworkers saw us and had a shovel to help dig us out.
As for losing traction, my boyfriend does it on purpose on empty roads. As much as a hate it, it has made him a better winter driver, for he knows what to do to regain traction instead of freaking out and slamming on the brakes or something... Just be thankful we some sort of snow road care unlike in the south where they close down for an inch of snow.. lol.

Scotty

Quote from: DarkTrinity on December 20, 2013, 09:54:47 AM
Just be thankful we some sort of snow road care unlike in the south where they close down for an inch of snow.. lol.

The government shut down two weeks ago one day for 1.3" of snow.  I enjoyed my day off and even managed to drive over to the homebrew store, dodging three pile-ups... in a rear-wheel drive muscle car.