News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

Leveling Competition Idea

Started by Danimal, May 01, 2014, 02:49:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you take part in this competition?

Yes
22 (81.5%)
No
0 (0%)
I'd rather do something else
2 (7.4%)
I don't feel strongly either way
3 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Danimal

We all know activity rises and falls within the V2 world depending on what's going on and it breaks our hearts to log in and see few comrades online. With that said, an official tournament may raise activity temporarily before and after it's not quite what we need to keep things alive.

I'm not 100% sure how this might work but I was thinking of hosting some sort of leveling competition as a bit more of a longer term event.. The basic idea would be to set a date whereby I would verify anyone who wishes to join as a level 1 candidate, and from then on list everyone who joins (checking they start at level 1) and monitoring the progress until the end goal of level 100. Saying that, I recognize level 100 as being a rather difficult objective regarding the time necessary to achieve it.. However I do feel that it might even out somewhat considering weekends and people's free time will differ and over the course of the event, people will be able to enjoy more online, level a new account and a few spawn events in-between either way.

In addition, I would host mini-events at various time intervals to help things along. For example: Week 1 Spawn party at the mountain, Week 2 tournament etc. I could probably even reward smaller accomplishments, like first to 30, first to 50 and first to 99. 

Ideally there would be a reward for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place which I'll have to check first with Meiun, but my thoughts are any weapon/hat publicly available, in addition with deluxe gifts and such.

So. What I need from you guys is to voice your interest, opinions or alternative ideas in this topic because I know it might take a fair amount of commitment from both myself and you to properly pull this off. I would like to see how many of you would like to see this happen. I know the poll is easier to silently vote, but please post your thoughts and then I can decide based on the popularity of the idea whether to host it or not.

bat95

I think this sounds like an awesome idea, and i would definitely want to take part in an event like this. Though i am not sure that i would ever get to level 100, as i have never gotten that far before. 

crozier

Sounds like a good idea, Dan! I personally don't think I would have to motivation to take part, but I definitely want to get OldKing to 100 this summer, once I finish this school semester. Been awfully busy as of late, as I would assume many of you guys are, but perhaps in a few weeks, I will be able to spend a few hours a week playing SO. It was kind of sad seeing Buffi put the effort into hosting a tournament and have little support from us SO-ers (sorry bud for not attending D: was out of town). But, hopefully activity spikes for a little while.

ToxicDuck

My thoughts haven't changed since when you mentioned this idea to me on skype, I'd love for this to happen, and would obviously take place. I like the idea of mini rewards for people getting to certain levels, before the grand prize when they get to 100. I really love the idea of having small spawn parties to help the people participating out, I feel as it would keep the player base and morale up.

TANK

sounds good. You could make us have to do pure int and give us slashers to start or something.

Matty_Richo

I really like the idea.
Obviously, activity has slowed a bit recently and the mini-tournies have been down in numbers.

My only worry is that the idea of getting to 100 might be a deterrent in that it will take a long time and once a couple of people get a substantial lead, others will probably give up.

With that being said, I think rewards for various increments are a good idea, as well as small events in that time (we might put the mini-tournies on hold during this).

Perhaps introducing a goal that anyone can achieve and not having a limit on how many people can get it. For example, everyone who reaches 99 gets an automatic 15 deluxes. Or even somehow offering the chance for a new weapon (One of the old GM weps or that funky roundhouse kick thing or even, at a slight penalty to Lucifer or Ludacris, the flame gauntlet or the tentacles.)

Danimal

Ideally there'd be a lot going on to make it worthwhile even for those not seriously competing. I do like the idea of rewarding 99s, maybe I'll list every account that reaches 99 before 3 people have won the whole event and put them in a raffle type thing for a cool prize.

I have briefly spoken to Meiun about it and he's on board with this idea and with some further discussion may even offer a a greater prize for winning as he pointed out it might not be sufficient enough to reward that level of effort. So bear that in mind.

Good feedback so far guys, keep it coming.

Matty_Richo

Yeah, I think it'll be fine as long as there is something for the people who simply don't have the time to get to 100.
I like the idea of a raffle type thing. Perhaps there can be a few 'raffle' prizes and there can be a bunch of achievements that earn you an entry to the raffle (reach 99, fill inventory with jester hats, etc.).

As for prizes, I suppose Deluxes are always a good option, a grand prize of being able to choose any publicly available weapon, if Meiun is on board with old Mod weaps or old tourny prizes, the roundhouse kick, etc.

Perhaps even something new that, doesn't outperform anything in-game PvP-wise, but is somewhat of a novelty:
(I just replaced the short sword animation, not sure if I got all the frames). It could be something like, base damage 10 but it hits 25 targets.
Or we could even see the return of..:

KrazyMotha

A sweet incentive to get people on board would be have EVERY character starting out with a new item (like just a silly hat or like a weak weapon that hits several targets) then people would WANT to join simply for the excitement of having something/anything new! it wouldn't have to be a great item but if i looks cool or is unique in some other way! i bet people would LOVE something new. and to make it easier maybe have a smaller competition for people to draw up an item and have the community vote on what they think would be the coolest to have. (obviously we would need to have Meiun on board because likely he will have to do some extra work) also i like Matty's ideas too!
Also having side challenges for people would be cool. If someone falls behind they can work toward something else (instead of giving up). Have side quests that have a reward as well.(like get all bunny ears, fill inventory with jester hats) I am sure people could think of more ideas but that would keep interest in the competition even if someone really pulls away from the pack. that's all i can think of at the moment :P

Jmac

Oh man, you guys are just gonna pull me right back in. I'm all up for anything that can increase activity, because my favorite part of the game is interacting with the community, so consider me on board. :D

Oh, and you should totally wait until the end of June to start, so that it doesn't interfere with my vacation ;p

Fisuman

Cool! I like it. I do wish you could wait about a month before starting it, then I am basically free of stress and everything..(Summer vacation)
I thought about what krazy said, about a weak multi-target weapon. Bunny blades? The blades would be similiar to daggers, except that they would hit 2 enemies at the same time. Maybe they could give +2 agi too?

About the smaller accomplishment rewards, I think everyone signed up could receive those rewards for reaching that certain level during the event. They could give you some random item? The reward present box would automatically appear in your inventory when you reach level 30,50 and 99.

Jmac

Quote from: Fisuman on May 02, 2014, 03:02:31 PM
The reward present box would automatically appear in your inventory when you reach level 30,50 and 99.
Cool idea, although this would require more work on Meiun's part, which we are trying to limit as much as possible.

Also, would these tournaments be held only for accounts that are entered in the competition?

Danimal

Quote from: Jmac on May 03, 2014, 10:56:37 AM
Quote from: Fisuman on May 02, 2014, 03:02:31 PM
The reward present box would automatically appear in your inventory when you reach level 30,50 and 99.
Cool idea, although this would require more work on Meiun's part, which we are trying to limit as much as possible.

Also, would these tournaments be held only for accounts that are entered in the competition?

Jmac pretty much said it, whereby I'm trying to limit Meiun's involvement as much as possible. That's not to say prizes can't be altered if Meiun thinks of something different to award the winner(s).

That would be the idea Jmac, to add incentive to join and work on new accounts. An official tourny or at least a standard one hosted by me could take place nearer the end when the difference between the new and old is considerably less.

darkflash

I LOVE THIS IDEA. The mini spawn parties the prizes everything, I love when S.O. is active and this competition would definitely make me play it more. We could have like mini-tournies between only accs in the competition for some prizes!

Glad to see that we are trying to get more people to play on a regular basis. I truly do enjoy playing the game, but I must admit that it gets a little boring with only 2 or 3 people online. Especially when you are on a Virtual Machine as the other account online :P.

[/URL]