News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

About the new Karma System (it has arrived, so I am changing the subject)

Started by Mr Pwnage, September 12, 2009, 11:04:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Please read THE ENTIRE post below before voting.

I love Mr Pwnage with a passion.
Spongebob for president.
What is a Pluto?

Mr Pwnage

I am sure you have all noticed, or maybe even experienced somebody lowering your karma each day...for no particular reason. While some people don't really care for karma at all, I know at least a handful of people who have told me flat out they do, including myself. So when one idiot ruins the whole system, it's rather aggravating. This is why I am posing 2 optional fixes to the system. Please vote for either option 1 or 2 listed below, or select "Other" and post your idea. Keep in mind that option 1 is my preferred fix, but option 2 is a much quicker, low maintenance fix.

Option 1) We change this system similar to how it was on hangout. You have to display your name, and have the option of typing a message each time you raise or lower somebodies karma. This way people are less likely to abuse the system because people can see who is doing what.

Option 2) We ELIMINATE the option to LOWER karma, and KEEP the option to RAISE it.. I know what you all are thinking..."Whoa what?! Why would we ever do that?" And my answer is this: Obviously, in this method people can no longer sabotage somebody else's karma, they can however add to it. This way, if you don't a person, you just don't mess with their karma at all, leave it at a low number like 0. While as the people who have earned such levels of karma will have an abundance of it. Keep in mind this option as I have said above would be a "quick, low maintenance fix", because it isn't that hard to implement, and it isn't hard to maintain in the sense that we wouldn't have to keep "fixing" each others karmas.

So please vote, and if you have an idea of your own, check the appropriate option and post below. Thanks.
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -Albert Einstein (1947)

http://www.benmward.com/projects.php

crozier

option 1 because at one point I had 2 karma then the next day I had -1.(I have 1 now)  And by looking a pwnage, I saw he had 8 or so, now 5. The same people are lowering the same persons karma because they just dislike them or disagree with them.

EpicPhailure

Does it really matter? Karma is nothing.

Torch

Quote from: EpicPhailure on September 12, 2009, 11:34:38 AM
I'm with you. Since there are no benefits to having high or low karma, all it is is a number. It matters about as much as your post count or join date.

Delicious

Quote from: Torch on September 12, 2009, 11:44:53 AM
Quote from: EpicPhailure on September 12, 2009, 11:34:38 AM
I'm with you. Since there are no benefits to having high or low karma, all it is is a number. It matters about as much as your post count or join date.
I do agree to a certain extent, as I do not believe your post count, join date nor karma is completely worthless. However, Karma could exhibit more then what many think. It allows us to disclose whether we should acknowledge the truth of certain posts from various members, as well as it showing how helpful, thoughtout, or perhaps fun our posts were. This could then draw our attention to those you have -karma, and see that they act in a complete opposite manner.
Not only so, but it allows users to receive and give feedback upon their posts. This could also be used as an indicator to the contribution upon these forums, And, much like your post count or join date, it could determine the same thing.

However, with the idea of a member giving out negatives, should be simply ignored. We can visually see, from reading your posts, that you are more respected then what is displayed on your karma status, and we will not treat you in any other way then so.

If anything, I'd pick option 2. This is because members would have disputes with their name being displayed for -karma that they did or did not deserve.

<3

Lingus

I picked Option 1, because I actually liked the Reputation system on the HO forum. The only thing is, it's not going to solve the problem in any way whatsoever. If everyone has the same abilities to post Reputation as frequently as they can post Karma, someone can still go on a derepping binge. The only difference is that everyone would know who's doing it and possibly why. This might deter the person from doing it, but it also might not. If the person is annoying enough to -karma people en masse, they might not care that everyone knows they're doing it.

Option 2 in my opinion would truly make Karma useless. This means that someone who should have a -karma would eventually have +karma. Even the most annoying person might have a friend or two who would +karma them, and then no amount of annoying behavior would ever make them have -karma, because no one could give it to them. So in this case, someone's karma would have no relation at all to what kind of poster they are.

The only thing that would fix this is to make people with -karma unable to post karma... or make their karma changes have less effect. This way if there's some annoying person going around giving -karma, they likely also have -karma, so they will either not be able to make karma changes, or they could only affect 1 karma for every 5 a normal person can change. Or maybe change the number of days they have to wait so they can't -karma someone every day.

Lucifer

Somehow you jump to the conclusion that they have no reason for doing so. Personally I'm of the same opinion that karma matters less to me than my pubic hair, but if I did care, I'd go with Lingus's idea.

Mr Pwnage

I just want to throw this out there...I thought I made it clear in my introduction this topic is for people who do care and wish to rectify the system and make it more useful and meaningful. If honestly don't give a shit for it, than why are you posting telling me you don't give a shit when I clearly said this was for people who care. I have seen people complain to me about it in-game, and others bring it up. The reason it is kinda a useless gauge right now is BECAUSE people can abuse it. On hangout, I actually thought karma meant something. But yeah, point is don't post in topics you don't care about...
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -Albert Einstein (1947)

http://www.benmward.com/projects.php

ARTgames

I like the stick online hangout way. Also the message and name help. Its nice to get feedback.

Mystery

Quote from: Mr Pwnage on September 12, 2009, 01:03:36 PM
I just want to throw this out there...I thought I made it clear in my introduction this topic is for people who do care and wish to rectify the system and make it more useful and meaningful. If honestly don't give a shit for it, than why are you posting telling me you don't give a shit when I clearly said this was for people who care. I have seen people complain to me about it in-game, and others bring it up. The reason it is kinda a useless gauge right now is BECAUSE people can abuse it. On hangout, I actually thought karma meant something. But yeah, point is don't post in topics you don't care about...
I am of the same mindset as Pwnage. I've experienced the same thing, and while karma doesn't matter that much, it CAN get fairly annoying. Karma does actually mean something. Don't tell me it doesn't. Otherwise, people wouldn't differentiate between Forum(who has -11 karma for some reason) and Ceroblitz(who has an extremely high amount, 39 karma). And that's bull[Censor].

Also, like Deli said-

Quote from: DeliciousHowever, Karma could exhibit more then what many think. It allows us to disclose whether we should acknowledge the truth of certain posts from various members, as well as it showing how helpful, thoughtout, or perhaps fun our posts were. This could then draw our attention to those you have -karma, and see that they act in a complete opposite manner.
Not only so, but it allows users to receive and give feedback upon their posts. This could also be used as an indicator to the contribution upon these forums, And, much like your post count or join date, it could determine the same thing.

Consider this, Lucifer(not singling you out, just using you as an example because you don't care about karma). If someone de-karma'd you so much that in 24 hours, you had 12 karma, you'd probably be annoyed. if not, good for you. But if you honestly don't care about this that much, I don't even see why you're posting in a topic CLEARLY ABOUT this issue...

And ARTgames' post is also another reason why I voted #1. Because it is NICE to get feedback and a message. People don't always post a reason with karma.

EDIT: And also +karma'd you Pwnage, to fix SOME of the damage.
AKA Paradox/EnragedDeity/Occurrence.
Quote from: Medgar Evers
You can kill a man, but you can't kill an idea.

Torch

Because if the majority of the community doesn't care, it probably isn't worth spending too much time on trying to reprogram it.

Mystery

Quote from: Torch on September 12, 2009, 01:25:03 PM
Because if the majority of the community doesn't care, it probably isn't worth spending too much time on trying to reprogram it.
That's the thing. If you are the majority, it doesn't matter that much. It only matters that this is a major issue to some people. It's still a problem that's worth fixing.

Lucifer

Well, according to your logic, it's a major issue to me and I'm sure some other people, that there is not enough titties on this forum.

Meiun I demand more titties.

(Joking)

The reason we post is because we see no need for Meiun to take the time to change anything. Not that it would be hard, but theres just no need. If you don't appreciate people stating their opinions, you really need learn a bit more about forums.

And er, about your example, no I wouldn't care. Infact I'd prefer it. Karma is overrated. So are post counts for that matter... Imo if both didn't exist, these forums would be better off.

Mystery

Quote from: Lucifer on September 12, 2009, 02:05:09 PM
The reason we post is because we see no need for Meiun to take the time to change anything. Not that it would be hard, but theres just no need. If you don't appreciate people stating their opinions, you really need learn a bit more about forums.

And er, about your example, no I wouldn't care. Infact I'd prefer it. Karma is overrated. So are post counts for that matter...Imo if both didn't exist, these forums would be better off.
People do things all the time that there's no need for, but they want to do them/have them. And I do appreciate people stating their opinions, I just didn't really understand what was the point of it because you don't seem to want to be involved in this issue that much. Either way, it is annoying, but it's the least of my troubles right now.....I don't really care THAT much about it, so it's no skin off my back if it's not altered. And I do agree with you that they are overrated, but it just gets on your nerves every now and then when you see them screwed up.

EDIT: On second thought, if that 'getting rid of both of them' was an option, I would've picked that in a heartbeat.

ARTgames

Quote from: Lucifer on September 12, 2009, 02:05:09 PM
And er, about your example, no I wouldn't care. Infact I'd prefer it. Karma is overrated. So are post counts for that matter... Imo if both didn't exist, these forums would be better off.

I think some time post counts count. like when some one makes an account and his first post is to buy his stuff. Other than that i guess not.