News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

Your Creations

Started by Delicious, September 14, 2009, 08:05:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ARTgames

NotoriousM4^

Quote from: ARTgames on September 20, 2009, 06:23:08 PM
Quote from: Ceroblitz on September 20, 2009, 04:59:51 PM
THE FIRST ONE-
Idk.
http://filebox.me/view/k01gdzphp

Im guessing he is hitting a metal stick.
This is a pretty valid point, the sound your using is more of a clashing of metal against metal; it would fit more perhaps if the other stick was retaliating with a sword.

Torch

Delicious, that's some really professional work there. The animation is really fluid and looks really cool.

Ceroblitz

Quote from: NotoriousM4^ on September 20, 2009, 07:24:23 PM
THE FIRST ONE-
Idk.

This is a pretty valid point, the sound your using is more of a clashing of metal against metal; it would fit more perhaps if the other stick was retaliating with a sword.
Well, it doesn't matter about sound... It could be a robot with red fuel lines, and dummy filled with red liquid. Besides, I want you guys to focus on the ANIMATION not the sound.

JoEL

Quote from: Delicious on September 19, 2009, 05:58:05 PM
Haha.., Well, I can assure you that is not what he is doing, rather he is rotating his body from side to side along with the gun.. I just cannot angle the hand correctly to give signs of that.  :P
- better?

As everyones been saying they can't see the depth. What I see going wrong is the gun is being scaled too fast, if it was scaled a little slower then it might look a bit better.

NotoriousM4^

Quote from: JoEL on September 20, 2009, 09:04:20 PM
Quote from: Delicious on September 19, 2009, 05:58:05 PM
Haha.., Well, I can assure you that is not what he is doing, rather he is rotating his body from side to side along with the gun.. I just cannot angle the hand correctly to give signs of that.  :P
- better?

As everyones been saying they can't see the depth. What I see going wrong is the gun is being scaled too fast, if it was scaled a little slower then it might look a bit better.
First of all, that's the old sprite. Second, only one person said they couldn't see the depth (most likely cause they don't understand it). Thirdly, it's not necessarily being "scaled", and it's already been slowed down.

ARTgames

Quote from: Ceroblitz on September 20, 2009, 08:58:35 PM
Quote from: NotoriousM4^ on September 20, 2009, 07:24:23 PM
THE FIRST ONE-
Idk.

Well, it doesn't matter about sound... It could be a robot with red fuel lines, and dummy filled with red liquid. Besides, I want you guys to focus on the ANIMATION not the sound.

I think people under rate sound. If you don't what people to to listen than don't put it in.

What i think about the animation:
Your major camera shakes are so dramatic that it looks like quick cuts making it seem more choppy and is not working for you. its making the user spend more time trying to refined the charters instead of watching the animation. i would just make it a little less of such a big jump when some one gets hit.

And the blood splat seems much more sub par to the rest of the animation. And lowers the over all impression of the piece.

The short parts ware you can see what happing its just fine and smooth.

Delicious

Quote from: JoEL on September 20, 2009, 09:04:20 PM
I could agree on some level, but if I were to slow the movement of the scaling rate down, then I'd have to slow the entire walk cycle and rotation down.. I'm unsure if I'd really like him to go any slower. I will fix the issue with the weapon soon, it's just something I put there to represent the weapons until I'm completely finished with all the other animations.
I appreciate your idea, and I could possibly try and slow it down if all else fails.  ;D

Also, NotoriousM4, great suggestion. I wanted to have action with the feet when he recoils back, but was unsure how I'd go about doing it. Lifting it's front foot/leg up slightly would look pretty neat. However, ejecting shells would have to wait until I fill in the black.  ;)

Quote from: Torch on September 20, 2009, 08:39:43 PM
Delicious, that's some really professional work there. The animation is really fluid and looks really cool.
Thank you, mate.

THE FIRST ONE-
Idk.

Good animation.  :)
<3

Chaos

@Delicious:  Ever hear the phrase "Too many cooks spoil the broth"?

Honestly, I've thought every version of the walking sprite has looked good. 
Jake says:
lol, I found God! He was hiding under a big rock this entire time that lil jokster

Mr Pwnage

This is a sketch of a new boss for a game I am making. I drew it in math class...which is why it is kinda dirty and there is writing on the other side of the paper. But all that aside, what do you think of it? I am aware I suck at hand drawing. :/

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -Albert Einstein (1947)

http://www.benmward.com/projects.php

DarkTrinity

What's coming out of his finger? fire?
Well, being the artist I am, you know you're get critiquing from me :P
First off, you were right about the hands, The basic shape of them is good. But overall, they're too small. And his right hand, it looks like only his thumb is holding the sword. should make his other fingers overlap the hilt also. Secondly, he looks very flat and 2D. The shading really has no rhyme or reason to it, its just there to represent 'color' im guessing. To make it look more realistic-if thats what youre going for- try picking a light source coming from one direction. EX. if its coming from above, make the top of his arms lighter, and the underside darker, etc.
As for the belt, it looks like it's part of the shirt, so try making it stick out a little bit frolm the shirt.
Hope all that was somehwat helpful... ^_^;;

mikkelet

Giving back for the $2-not-$1-demot. are we? :P

ARTgames

Quote from: Delicious on September 20, 2009, 01:14:12 AM
Thank you. Feel free to post your own work at anytime, guys.. This is not really just for me, but for everyone who is looking for criticism.

Is this convincing? It's a shot gun animation.

And I did a ever so slight adjustment to the weapon in this walk cycle...

Crouch and shoot..

More to come..  :)

The last frames ware the feet cross looks weird. Like his left foot is growing out of right leg. My only suggestion would be not to bend the left leg so much near the end of his walk cycle. And some times it looks like he is pulling the back of the gun out and the front is growing. maybe if you had some shifting shading along the gun it would look more like he is swaying it.

The duck shot looks grate for the top part of body. but the bottom seem boring. and it looks like his torso is stretching out like a gummy man when he fires. i think he should shift back a little when he is shooting. as in when he shoots his back leg should bend a little and the front should slant back a the little.

Also this is not realistic but i think the fringes of his clothes should bend back and ripple when he shoots for a cool effect.

I'm not an artist or an animator so this is coming from just my person opinion and what i see other people do. its not much but take it for what its worth. Your work is still really good.

Edit:
I did not comment on the first image you made.(stand shooting) It did not pop up the first time i saw the post. (i think my fire fox is messing up)

Mr Pwnage

Quote from: DarkTrinity on September 21, 2009, 04:55:36 PM
What's coming out of his finger? fire?
Well, being the artist I am, you know you're get critiquing from me :P
First off, you were right about the hands, The basic shape of them is good. But overall, they're too small. And his right hand, it looks like only his thumb is holding the sword. should make his other fingers overlap the hilt also. Secondly, he looks very flat and 2D. The shading really has no rhyme or reason to it, its just there to represent 'color' im guessing. To make it look more realistic-if thats what youre going for- try picking a light source coming from one direction. EX. if its coming from above, make the top of his arms lighter, and the underside darker, etc.
As for the belt, it looks like it's part of the shirt, so try making it stick out a little bit frolm the shirt.
Hope all that was somehwat helpful... ^_^;;
It is supposed to be magic of some sort...I haven't quite decided yet...but he will be colored very dark, and most his attacks will be somewhat purple to resemble "shadow magic". And yeah...im horrible with hands...I just can't do em right for whatever reason. I know what you mean...but I'd probably ruin it in my attempts to fix it. There is shading with reason...it is just barely visible now that it has been scanned. It shaded it all lightly. I know what you mean about 2d...I thought his body was somewhat 3d, but the helmet on his head, not so much. The belt was a last minute addition just cause I wanted him to have one when I actually sprite him...I didn't really make an effort on it. This is kind of a prototype sketch. Thanks for the advice.
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -Albert Einstein (1947)

http://www.benmward.com/projects.php

Delicious

Noticed that the back leg was not resting on the ground, which would be very uncomfortable for anyone.. expecially since this one is holding a large weapon.

- having problems with the front leg now, since it looks tiny in comparision.  >:(

Quote from: ARTgames on September 21, 2009, 05:45:59 PM
The last frames ware the feet cross looks weird. Like his left foot is growing out of right leg. My only suggestion would be not to bend the left leg so much near the end of his walk cycle. And some times it looks like he is pulling the back of the gun out and the front is growing. maybe if you had some shifting shading along the gun it would look more like he is swaying it.
I've already mentioned that I will infact shade in the gun, a few times now.. Perhaps I would actually just leave it black, and hopefully be able to fix the enlarge/shrink effect with another animator who could figure out how I'd go about doing so. As for "foot growing out of right leg" issue, I'm uncertain if it's because of the leg being bent. I would not even know if I had fixed it or not since I cannot see were it would look odd in any of the frames myself.  :(

As for the rest of your suggestions, I couldn't make out what you had said. I understand that the crouched legs are a bit boring during the animation, but whats a "Gummy Man"? Perhaps you ment were it stretches and one part doesn't move at all? Yea, I'm trying to fix that, just nothing seems to look right when I do.  :P Also, the idea you had with the fringes of the clothing having movement sounds like it would be fun, but I'd perfer to not go that far into detail.. especially given the style I'm trying to go for - Simplistic, in a sense.  

Mr Pwnage  -Personally, I think that the small hands give your warrior mate characteristic. :) The fluid arms are quite cool too.
<3