News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

Health bars

Started by wrinkles, December 22, 2009, 03:49:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wrinkles

I've read sugestions of showing how much damage is being taken off after you hit a monster.. maybe have health bars above the monsters to show how much heath it has left.. this could be usefull against bosses..

*EDIT: I read through the comments and i think people were led on to believe that i was agreeing to show the damage when hitting an enemy.. i was merely suggesting against it lol..
Also i take back saying a health bar for all the monsters.. Maybe just for bosses.. coz dont u hate it when your fightin against a SG.. and some1 cant be bothered fighting it so they runit in the water.. when it could very well be only a couple hits left to kill it.

foG

had been said many times, i also like the idea of a health bar, but apparently meiun doesn't :/

Made by EpicPhail.

http://mr.foglet.mybrute.com/
Fight my brute Mr.foGlet. =D

JninjaJ

i really like this idea it would help me alot ;D

Riserva

If this was to be done... the ability in which to see the health bars should also be installed.

Lingus

No. It has been explained numerous times that Meiun does not want people to have the ability to see how much health a monster has left. It removes the element of surprise when fighting a monster. As it is, you have to judge whether you think the monster is going to die soon and therefore you can jump into the fight and get as many hits in, or if you think it will not die soon and so you should sit to regain health so you don't die. If health bars were implemented that element of surprise would be nullified.

I personally agree with that. It makes the game more interesting. Rather than simply looking at the monster's health bar and a bunch of numbers while playing, you are looking at the monsters and you are having to think for yourself a bit.

ARTgames

what game was this idea for?

no offense Lingus but I don't think the monster fights are that epic. Its still boring girding and health bars or not its not going to make it any more fun. I think its more of a service than anything else. I would rather have a health bar to look at than the same sprite that i have been looking at for years doing the same thing.

Im going to say im for the idea even tho it really does not matter.

stick online 3 idk.

Lingus

Quote from: ARTgames on December 22, 2009, 03:09:41 PM
no offense Lingus but I don't think the monster fights are that epic. Its still boring girding and health bars or not its not going to make it any more fun. I think its more of a service than anything else. I would rather have a health bar to look at than the same sprite that i have been looking at for years doing the same thing.
Then having a health bar would make it that less interesting... I say do something about the grinding. Make fighting monsters MORE interesting rather than throwing in the towel saying, "Well, it's already boring. Might as well make it more boring..."

That's my opinion at least.

ARTgames

Yes having a health will not increase interest but there 0 interest to start with so having it going to take nothing away. Im sorry but when i see i monster i don't go "I wonder how much hp it has. This is so intents im hitting it and i have no idea when its going to die." Your defending something that to me does not even exists.

But why the hell would i even want it then. Well its simply just to have a way to see progress. It tells you how much you half to sit around and do this before it dies and you get your exp and a chance to get an item.(the only reason i fight monsters in the game. i dont just fight them for fun.) And to me knowing that is worth more than the having this "element of surprise when fighting a monster" that there non of to me to start.

NotoriousM4^

Quote from: Lingus on December 22, 2009, 03:23:50 PM
Quote from: ARTgames on December 22, 2009, 03:09:41 PM
Then having a health bar would make it that less interesting... I say do something about the grinding. Make fighting monsters MORE interesting rather than throwing in the towel saying, "Well, it's already boring. Might as well make it more boring..."

The thing is, by now, there is no more "element of surprise". Most people all ready know how many hits it takes them to kill something. A health bar wouldn't increase nor decrease any "element of surprise". If anything it would give users a little bit more of a visual aspect of the damage they can, or cannot do. However, with Boss monsters (SG, DS, BB, BA). I can see how the no hp bar would supply the illusion that the boss hp is somewhat unlimited.

Lingus

Your arguments, to me at least, do not say anything about making fighting monsters MORE fun. If pvm kept you on your toes more, and it was less about grinding, then having HP bars would deter from that. So you're both basically saying, since it isn't fun, and it's basically just grinding at this point, why not give the HP bar. Because then you're resigned to the fact that fighting monsters will always be boring. I assume this will not be added to SO2. I assume any suggestion here is for the benefit of SO3. So take my comments in that light. With that said, I assume that fighting monsters will be more fun and less grinding in SO3. Or at least I'm hoping it will be. So in that case, we can't just say what you're both saying now. "Why not give HP bars? It's already boring so it won't matter..." We have to assume that Meiun will develop some kind of fun system for keeping us on our toes, and that having HP bars will deter from that.

ARTgames

Quote from: Lingus on December 22, 2009, 04:12:04 PM
Your arguments, to me at least, do not say anything about making fighting monsters MORE fun.

Your right and i never calmed it would add more fun. But what they offer is worth more than the reasons you don't want it to me. And i said that in my last post near the bottom. They dont make it more fun but just tells me how much longer i need to do this before i can start doing or getting fun stuff like pvp or getting a rare drop. That worth more to than the reason you give not to have it.

QuoteI assume this will not be added to SO2.
I do also. thats why i said "Im going to say im for the idea even tho it really does not matter. "

QuoteI assume any suggestion here is for the benefit of SO3.
And thats why i asked "what game was this idea for?"

QuoteI assume that fighting monsters will be more fun and less grinding in SO3. Or at least I'm hoping it will be. So in that case, we can't just say what you're both saying now. "Why not give HP bars? It's already boring so it won't matter..." We have to assume that Meiun will develop some kind of fun system for keeping us on our toes, and that having HP bars will deter from that.

And thats why i said "stick online 3 idk."

hope you see why now.

Lingus

Quote from: ARTgames on December 22, 2009, 04:23:34 PMhope you see why now.
I do. I was just making a point. I think you get my point. I'm not commenting on the usefullness of this for SO2, just SO3. It's pointless to talk about changes to SO2 at this point, so why bother.

ARTgames

I did have a little hope. :P But hey we get each other.

NotoriousM4^

Quote from: Lingus on December 22, 2009, 04:12:04 PM
Your arguments, to me at least, do not say anything about making fighting monsters MORE fun. If pvm kept you on your toes more, and it was less about grinding, then having HP bars would deter from that. So you're both basically saying, since it isn't fun, and it's basically just grinding at this point, why not give the HP bar. Because then you're resigned to the fact that fighting monsters will always be boring. I assume this will not be added to SO2. I assume any suggestion here is for the benefit of SO3. So take my comments in that light. With that said, I assume that fighting monsters will be more fun and less grinding in SO3. Or at least I'm hoping it will be. So in that case, we can't just say what you're both saying now. "Why not give HP bars? It's already boring so it won't matter..." We have to assume that Meiun will develop some kind of fun system for keeping us on our toes, and that having HP bars will deter from that.

This must be directed directly towards ART. Because it just seems like your twisting my words... Don't. I never said it was "boring" or "not fun", nor did I say it would make fighting monsters MORE fun. I simply said that by now everyone knows how many hits it takes to kill the monsters in SOv2, and most likely this will also happen in SOv3. I merely said that it would be nice for visual informational purposes, not to enhance any "fun".

I really don't appreciate how you try and make it seem like I'm flaming S.O. for being boring. I never once mentioned nor implied that. Just because something doesn't have an "element of surprise" doesn't make it boring.

Lingus

Whoa, whoa. Relax. I'm not flaming anyone here. I'm just discussing the topic at hand. Maybe I tried to lump you and Art's comments together and generalized a bit. Sorry about that. I probably am using the wrong word when I say "boring".

In any case, my opinion is that having the HP bars will make people complacent about fighting monsters. Since they can look at the HP bar to see when the monster will die, they don't need to worry about keeping track of that in their head. And if they don't keep track, then without the HP bar they don't know when the monster will die. This is the "element of surprise" I'm talking about. As it is now, you can choose how you play the game. Either by knowing how many hits it takes to kill a monster and keeping track of that while you are fighting it, or you just fight and you are "surprised" in a sense as to when the monster will die. In a large group of monsters, it will be very difficult for anyone to keep track of that. So the hp bar in that scenario would be changing the style of game play pretty drastically.

I guess I'm not saying the game play would be boring or not, it would just be different. People would be looking at HP bars, rather than fighting monsters. It adds a layer of abstraction to the game that I think shouldn't be there.

Also, keep in mind that we really have no idea what the plans for SO3 are. Monsters might all have randomized health or defense to a certain extent. Damage might also be a bit randomized. You might never be able to know exactly how many hits it will take to bring down a monster. In this case, having the HP bar will be even more of a change than if it weren't there.