News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

stick-online app

Started by scsox, December 21, 2009, 04:49:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scsox

I know its kinda impossible but it think having a stick-online app for the iphone/ipod touch would be pretty awsome.

LeGuy

Heh, I've though about this before, being an iPhone owner. As you said, it was be cool to play Stick Online on the go, but there are some huge problems that would make this most likely impossible.

1.) The iPhone's touch screen and tilt controls are intuitive, and make for some fairly entertaining gaming possibilities, but the lack of a physical keyboard or buttons make it very difficult to control the character of a basic 2D sidescroller. Sure, you can try tapping the left and right sides of a screen, or do some fancy tilt controls, but it still doesn't even come close to matching the precision of a good, old-fashioned set of arrow keys and the A and S keys.

2.) Apple, not famous for its provision of customization and variety, has only established one way to make iPhone apps - their own programming tool, xFire. This means that even if Mark Overmars, the creator of Game Maker, went to the trouble of making Game Maker executables compatible with other hardware than PC's, (which I'm fairly certain he's established he will never do) Apple still wouldn't consider it for publication in the App Store.

3.) And, lastly, I doubt Meiun would go to the trouble of doing a complete rewrite of the game code just to see Stick Online on an iPhone. 39dll isn't iPhone compatible, you know, and since most people are only playing games on their portable devices for short periods while they're waiting for something, a game that requires a lot of time to level up and find the good items probably wouldn't be immensely sucessful. It just wouldn't be worth it.
Whee!

crozier

Quote from: LeGuy on December 21, 2009, 06:01:46 PM
This means that even if Mark Overmars, the creator of Game Maker, went to the trouble of making Game Maker executables compatible with other hardware than PC's, (which I'm fairly certain he's established he will never do)

I heard of this site here http://dsgamemaker.com/ recently. Has anybody ever heard of it?
I was reading it the other day, seems intresting. Might be a mockup of gamemaker, Idk if it was by the same company/creator.

scsox

I know that it's a little far off. Maybe just a s.o. App that is the website not the game?

yottabyte

I partly quit SO. I only come online for updates and events. Have a good day. :)

Aqua

I think that he meant a Flash or Java game. As Meiun is writing the SO3 server in Java, it surely isn't out of his abilities to write a client in Java. I see Java as a beautiful way to express SO, but I don't think that it is likely.
~Aqua