News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

Sign

Started by Zario777, January 02, 2010, 11:33:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zario777

Thank you Mystery for seeing the soul purpose for this idea. Fun. But if a couple (hence the "a couple") of ideas have to have another purpose other than fun, I guess thats where the the sign would stop.
To address your concern with the feather hat, I give you this: If all you need to cross the pits is a feather hat, then all you need to jump upon the signs would be a feather hat. If you can jump over the gap, u dont need to jump on the sign to cross the pit anymore. I doubt that the sign could show any advantages to pvp so it doesnt rule out AGI usage there either. If there is a different jump requirement to pass over the gap in desert, then the overall height could be a crouch jump with a frog hat.

@ Notorious: I'm not bumping the idea. I am replying to people's messages regarding the sign's flaws.
What would be the minimum requirements to play SO on my computer?
i7 core running at 3.6 ghz 16gb ram minimum with at least 2 x ATI Radeon HD 4870. Best played with full surround sound and a 30" widescreen moniter.

Mystery

Quote from: NotoriousM4^ on January 05, 2010, 10:30:28 PM
And people are going to continue to bump this even after I post this message.

Of course we are, because we are allowed to discuss it. This is a forum, after all.

Zario, I'm sorry, but your going to have to let it go for now. You might want to let this thread die, and bump it when you have your ideas FULLY thought out and exactly what you want planned out without all the extra filler. I'm not giving you any guarantees that people will like it the second time, but it sure does make a lot more sense then just replying to something that appears to be going nowhere at the moment.

I have a somewhat revised version of his idea in the post of mine that makes somewhat more sense, and honestly does not seem that bad. If you disagree, feel free to point out any flaws. And I forgot to add NOT using it as a weapon.

AKA Paradox/EnragedDeity/Occurrence.
Quote from: Medgar Evers
You can kill a man, but you can't kill an idea.

Lucifer

This entire topic could have been probably two pages if people actually read each other's posts thoroughly.

1. Again people do not have to read the signs. People don't have to complain because the insulter and the insultee both would be in the wrong for A writing the message, and B choosing to read the message. We could even have a sign put up around the 1st flag stating that they do not have to read other signs (and make that one and that one only indestructible) for their own sake.
And Again, you obviously didn't read my post.
Quote from: Lucifer
One suggestion is for people to just ignore what these signs say, but how can you ignore them if someone
walks up to you and says "Hey, guess what that sign says about you?". It's just idiotic to tell someone to ignore the obviously... idiotic.
It's just plain stupid to tell people to ignore a message that's insulting them. If you were in a public place and someone was following you with a shirt that said Zario777 is a Faggot, would you punch them in the face or ignore them?

2. Its not any version of King of the Hill. That was part of the what you can do by writing joke messages. You could start a King of the Hill type game with it, you could post like a warning sign near the pits telling newbs what AGI level they need to pass. These are just two examples.
There really is no point to this. I'll quote myself... again...
Quote from: LuciferIt's my arguement that anything that could be written on the signs could be easily posted on the forums or shoutbox, or communicated with other people near you in the game.
You keep saying you're just providing examples, well Zario considering we've been arguing this for 5 pages, could you PLEASE lay all of your ammo down on the table so we can get this over with?

3. I said it could be used as a weapon, but "that might be too much to program, so idk for sure."
Alright, so what's your solution to "3.)  Does (current lack of) benefits outweigh the work required to program?" then? I was just pointing out that you're using a horrid example.

4. We can make the signs only attackable in pvp mode and regenerate its hp every hour or so. There shouldn't be a considerable amount of ppl chasing bunnies in pvp mode to take down a sign. Or bunny hunters using sword like weapons to chase one down either.
Attacking them in PvP mode should have been pretty obvious, how else would people protect their beloved signs? I'm not really sure what you mean by "ppl chasing bunnies in pvp mode to take down a sign"

5. I don't see how stacking signs next to the holes will aid somebody without a feather hat across. I did say that the sign would be too tall for a feather hatless newb to high jump to, and cross the pit. I don't understand how having multiple signs that are out of reach will aid anyone who cant reach.
You might want to take into account that the Feather hat is one of the most common drops in the game, as well as one of the least expensive items.

@Mystery
Quote from: Mystery
Sure, it serves no real purpose(that would be that useful), but it's for FUN, not for fighting monsters or anything to that degree. Guess what, the whole point of SO is to have fun
I still don't see what's so incredibly fun about it. The only things I can think of that might be fun would be playing King of the Hill with them (Easily done without), Stacking them (Which you suggested we abandon completely), or abusing them. (Hehehe, I know I would.) None of these things make actually implementing the idea necessary or worth it.
Quote from: Mystery
True, you could have jerks who chop down every sign in sight, but someone will notice them eventually and take action.

Take..action? What exactly could someone do?
Quote from: MysteryHonestly, for a moderately active player, 10k can be earned in a day.
Precisely why it should cost more than 10k, as it would be just as easy for abusers to re-earn their money.

Jake

Quote from: Lucifer on January 05, 2010, 11:04:39 PM
I still don't see what's so incredibly fun about it. The only things I can think of that might be fun would be playing King of the Hill with them (Easily done without), Stacking them, or abusing them. (Hehehe, I know I would.) None of these things make actually implementing the idea necessary or worth it.
That's a nice opinion ya got there. A lot of people have differing opinions, meaning just because you don't think it's "worth it", doesn't mean everybody else agrees with ya. That's why I find it funny that people here are still discussing this. The whole thing comes down to whether or not you think it sounds like fun. Arguing that it has "no benefit" is a personal opinion that others might not share  :-\

Lucifer

Quote from: Jake on January 05, 2010, 11:10:37 PM
Quote from: Lucifer on January 05, 2010, 11:04:39 PM
I still don't see what's so incredibly fun about it. The only things I can think of that might be fun would be playing King of the Hill with them (Easily done without), Stacking them, or abusing them. (Hehehe, I know I would.) None of these things make actually implementing the idea necessary or worth it.
That's a nice opinion ya got there. A lot of people have differing opinions, meaning just because you don't think it's "worth it", doesn't mean everybody else agrees with ya. That's why I find it funny that people here are still discussing this. The whole thing comes down to whether or not you think it sounds like fun. Arguing that it has "no benefit" is a personal opinion that others might not share  :-\
Feel free to list what You would do with this idea for fun. Everyone, for that matter. I'm sure I'm not thinking of other uses for it that could be fun.

Jake

Quote from: Lucifer on January 05, 2010, 11:11:34 PM
Feel free to give some examples as to what You would do with this idea for fun. Everyone, for that matter.
I've already posted examples, and you have too. But fine, let me expand.

-Stack signs to allow low AGI players to get to higher places
-King of the hill
-work together to create sign art
-Post jibber jabber when bored
-Work with a bunch of players to create huge towers
-Create tower art
-Express your beliefs through signs!
-Play King of the hill on the huge tower of signs

I'm sure the crafty users of SO could find many more uses beyond that.

Lucifer

Er, sorry, I meant to say give examples of ideas that one can't just as easily do without signs. Beforehand, sorry for picking apart your examples, but what we're trying to accomplish here is to see whether or not all the effort required to create these signs and solve any abuses is actually worth it.

Why the hell should we do that? This, as said multiple times, will lessen the need for agility even more. When you decide to give your character such low agility that he cannot reach certain areas, that's what you're giving up in turn for other benefits. Why should we allow them those benefits and allow them maneuverability as well?
-King of the hill
These three can easily be done without signs.

-Work together to create sign art
-Create tower art
Honestly, I think we should entirely ditch the Signs idea, and instead focus on Portable Platforms. Everything at all good about this idea (In my opinion, of couse) comes from stacking these signs, so why not completely cut out writing messages?

ARTgames

Quote from: Jake on January 05, 2010, 11:18:02 PM
Feel free to give some examples as to what You would do with this idea for fun. Everyone, for that matter.

-King of the hill
-Create tower art

So what your telling me is signs are coming to nfo?

Jake

Quote from: Lucifer on January 05, 2010, 11:45:50 PM
Honestly, I think we should entirely ditch the Signs idea, and instead focus on Portable Platforms. Everything at all good about this idea (In my opinion, of couse) comes from stacking these signs, so why not completely cut out writing messages?
Chaos and I agreed on this earlier.

Lingus

Quote from: ARTgames on January 05, 2010, 11:51:47 PM
Quote from: Jake on January 05, 2010, 11:18:02 PM

-King of the hill
-Create tower art

So what your telling me is signs are coming to nfo?

Quote from: Jake on January 06, 2010, 12:12:22 AM
Quote from: Lucifer on January 05, 2010, 11:45:50 PM
Chaos and I agreed on this earlier.

Or maybe just portable platforms?