News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

Bigger World Out There concept.

Started by Aqua, January 05, 2010, 06:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ceroblitz

The reason is why i suggested higher levels, is that, if there's gonna be a much, much, MUCH larger world out there, and we only depend on super powered hats, we might want to rely on our own skills, too. Once its all item based, there wouldn't be much of a reason to kill except for items now, and not to mention the possibility of quests (kill this monster and get this material for exp / gold).

Also, if there's going to be super powered hats that are common, the monster must be powerful, thus stopping low levels from having a good chance from getting the hat. The point of powerful monsters. Stopping low levels from having a good chance of getting a super powerful item.

If new players want them, they'll have to work to get them, just like other MMOs.
At least raise the cap higher if we are going to have huge powerful monsters and extremely large areas.

Chaos

Quote from: krele on January 05, 2010, 07:35:49 PM
Wooden hammer was long before desert update. You clearly have no idea what you're talking about... So don't suggest things like this =)

How is the Wooden Hammer being released before the desert update instead of AT the desert update at ALL related to the validity of his suggestion?  Did you even bother to READ it?
Jake says:
lol, I found God! He was hiding under a big rock this entire time that lil jokster

Hambone

Aqua, this has already happened. Back before the desert, Short Swords and Whips were THE thing to have. The 'Level Barrier' if you will was much larger back then, because we had a larger opportunity for error with these weapons. I think this was a good thing. I entirely disagree with making super awesome weapons because if they are too powerful, it takes the human element out of the game, meaning that it doesn't really matter how good you are, unless you have the coolest new thing, you don't stand a chance. What makes SO fun (to me) is the fact that you have to be skilled. No doubt the game should keep expanding, but I think there should be weapons that appeal to different builds at the same tier. This adds diversity and choices and room for human error that keep the human element in tact and fun. And when there's more human error, the 'Level Barrier' becomes wider and 25's can beat 50's and so on.

Lingus

I actually would like the exact inverse of this to happen. Rather than expanding to the higher end items and monsters, the lower and mid range should be built out more. It's extremely frustrating that you don't get a decent weapon until such high levels. The Short Sword is rather low, so when you get to the mid range of levels, there's a huge gap (unless you're lucky) before you get to the higher level of items such as katana or GS. We need more varied ranges of items and monsters within our current range. We don't need to expand the upper end of the range. At least not to the extent it sounds like you are referring to here.

It's a good idea, but it's really just a general concept. The idea is to keep the game balanced. Saying you want this for SO3 is completely meaningless. Obviously Meiun is going to try to balance the escalation of the game difficulty from level 1 to cap. He did that with SO2. The difference is that there is just not enough content to be able to work with. I imagine for SO3, he will have someone cranking out different random items that will fill out the gaps. Or else he will do it with skills or something. In essence, you want something challenging at each level of the game, and something to look forward to when you pass that level.

I think it is typical for most people playing SO2 to think about end game content. Bigger and better items and monsters. But that is only one aspect of the game. When SO3 starts out, it will be months before anyone even reaches that point. In the meantime, people are going to want a fun and challenging experience getting there. So, yes, at level cap there should be bigger and better items and monsters to look forward to for end game purposes (though maybe not to the etreme of thousands of stat points) but there also needs to be similar focus on the lower and mid range levels.

Chaos

@Lingus:  There was MASSIVE pacing issues with Stick Online in general.  Something that will hopefully be resolved if and when SO3 is released.
Jake says:
lol, I found God! He was hiding under a big rock this entire time that lil jokster

ARTgames

(context of Aqua not understanding my last not well made post)
I was just asking if you wanted adding good items that are commend to the game to make the overpower weapons less overpowered because the way the game is now everything seemed to have to outdo the last. is that what your saying?

Aqua

Quote from: Lingus on January 05, 2010, 08:12:09 PM
I actually would like the exact inverse of this to happen. Rather than expanding to the higher end items and monsters, the lower and mid range should be built out more. It's extremely frustrating that you don't get a decent weapon until such high levels. The Short Sword is rather low, so when you get to the mid range of levels, there's a huge gap (unless you're lucky) before you get to the higher level of items such as katana or GS. We need more varied ranges of items and monsters within our current range. We don't need to expand the upper end of the range. At least not to the extent it sounds like you are referring to here.

It's a good idea, but it's really just a general concept. The idea is to keep the game balanced. Saying you want this for SO3 is completely meaningless. Obviously Meiun is going to try to balance the escalation of the game difficulty from level 1 to cap. He did that with SO2. The difference is that there is just not enough content to be able to work with. I imagine for SO3, he will have someone cranking out different random items that will fill out the gaps. Or else he will do it with skills or something. In essence, you want something challenging at each level of the game, and something to look forward to when you pass that level.

I think it is typical for most people playing SO2 to think about end game content. Bigger and better items and monsters. But that is only one aspect of the game. When SO3 starts out, it will be months before anyone even reaches that point. In the meantime, people are going to want a fun and challenging experience getting there. So, yes, at level cap there should be bigger and better items and monsters to look forward to for end game purposes (though maybe not to the etreme of thousands of stat points) but there also needs to be similar focus on the lower and mid range levels.
I think that both would be fun, useful, and everything else. It would be great to have something between Bandits and Skeletons, and a mix between Skeleton hp and Cacti attack. Not to mention that with the common BA spawn rate, it would be nice to have an intermediate for Blobs and BA too.
~Aqua

wrinkles

IMO I recon there should be really strong weapons, with low drop rates and come from a strong monster. If newbies get the best weapons and hats what are they going to get next? This is why newbies rarley go to desert.. who knows, they could get themselves and inferno sword or dragoon helmet.

Your talking about balancing out the game, it balances out when they work for it themselves.
If newbies beat someone 30 levels ahead of them, this puts the stat system out. In the end if both players are level 100, it is balanced out, on the off chance one of them doesnt have a great sword, too bad for them. This game is supposed to be fun not serious. I was level 41 when i went up aganst a level like 99, yer i go slaughtered but when im on the way to level 100 i will find the rare hats and weapons, then it will be even.

The game is fine the way it is, introducing much better hats and weapons is only going to delay the balance in the game.

Zario777

I do remember my 2nd new account (lvl 5) killed a lvl 15. I only had a branch at the time, he had something stronger (dont remember what tho).
What would be the minimum requirements to play SO on my computer?
i7 core running at 3.6 ghz 16gb ram minimum with at least 2 x ATI Radeon HD 4870. Best played with full surround sound and a 30" widescreen moniter.

Lingus

Quote from: Chaos on January 05, 2010, 08:17:59 PM
@Lingus:  There was MASSIVE pacing issues with Stick Online in general.  Something that will hopefully be resolved if and when SO3 is released.
Yea. That's pretty much what I'm getting at. The pacing was always odd to me. I agree that I think it will be much better in SO3.

krele

Quote from: Chaos on January 05, 2010, 07:41:52 PM
Wooden hammer was long before desert update. You clearly have no idea what you're talking about... So don't suggest things like this =)

How is the Wooden Hammer being released before the desert update instead of AT the desert update at ALL related to the validity of his suggestion?  Did you even bother to READ it?
Eh... I just felt like being an ass at that time... My apologies aqua =(

crozier

Quote from: krele on January 06, 2010, 07:57:25 PM
Quote from: Chaos on January 05, 2010, 07:41:52 PM

I just buy my wh at the shop in the cliffside between the arena and the clubhouse.
I see what you are getting at. Neat idea...