News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

Weapon Sprites

Started by leviofoley, February 22, 2010, 03:45:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

leviofoley

So, I stopped playing S.O. 2 a long time ago (kinda got bored)...but before that I made some sprites, intending to make a whole collection of weapons and stuff that I hoped could be used for v3.  Well, I got lazy and only really got one of them done, and it's this green sword thing.  It was only when I used this for a school assignment last week that I thought it might still be useful.  Do you think this might make a good weapon for S.O. 2?  I know SO players like a new item once in a while :P

If the green color doesn't work for you, it can be recolored to look more sword-like.

EDIT: I fixed the issue of limb growth that most people talked about, including the character sprite for comparison on arm & leg length.  I also corrected a few issues with the motion of the stick man's legs, so I think it's slightly more fluid.  Since Lucifer mentioned the weapon blur, I think I may try to fix that so that it looks better.  Here are the new sprites and the new anim: let me know what you think.

EDIT:
I messed around with the weapon blur, trying to make something that looks a little nicer than my original tri-colored one, and I eventually found that one that was basically the same with only two colors works best.  The only problem with this is that it ignores the bluish color in the middle of the sword that's found in most of the sword sprites...but at least the colors don't clash so much.  The new sprites/anim:

And here are some of the weapon blurs I tried out...

I'm also including an inventory sprite just for the hell of it.

Chaos

Your stick man has some major issues with limb growth.   :-X
Jake says:
lol, I found God! He was hiding under a big rock this entire time that lil jokster

DivineLegend

it looks SO stylish i think. but chaos is right on with the limbs

Aqua

There are errors, but you've got potential. Also, I don't think you could hurt a fly swinging at that speed.
~Aqua

Lucifer

The animation is O.K, but not the sprite. First off we already have a great sword, would be nice if you were a bit more creative in the actual weapon. I don't really see any shading done whatsoever, the blur is just three very poor choices of color on top of each other. I would have liked the animation if it didn't look like he was cringing away from his own sword. Practice swinging a sword in real life, your arms wouldn't get so near your stomach. Doing so required you to bend your stick figure, which would also not happen while swinging a sword that way, and is not humanly friggin possible (hence the limb growth).

It's a good attempt though, it just looks like you got a bit lazy. I will note to everyone that the server being private and no longer being officially developed, does not mean Meiun will now accept every submission. People seem to get this flawed logic into their heads, it isn't true, and won't ever be. Just because SO is no longer being developed doesn't mean Meiun is going to destroy his game with your 30 minute sprites...

So, that being said, topics like these should go in the off topic or media section, where you would post your sprites and have them be commented upon and criticized, so you can improve your art to the point that you are ready to submit them seriously.

leviofoley

Well, Meiun doesn't have to use them if he doesn't want to.  I only think that they're usable and consistent with the SO style, not that they're perfect.

Cactuscat222

You know Luci, I hardly see anyone with that mindset - in fact, this sprite and animation is much better than the average sprite I see suggested, and I rarely see any suggested on here.

Check out Stick Online HotKeyz v1.03 (Now with Full Screen Support!): Click Here

JoEL

I think it looks perfectly fine for SO...just as the others have suggested, the limbs grow, once that's fixed I think it'll look fine.

Lucifer

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply everyone has that mindset, only to note that people shouldn't come in with it. What I got from reading his post was that he randomly thought his sprite would be useful because it fits the style of stick online, and therefore should be added.

A better approach, in my opinion, would have been to post this in the media or off topic forum, and ask for criticism/ideas to improve your spiriting ability. The reason for this is because when you make a post in the ideas/suggestions, people (me, anyways) tend to think you're Actually suggesting something, and judge your work that way. This obviously wasn't a finished product, and if he actually did think it was, that further proves my point. Ideas/Suggestions should be a place for finished products, ideas you Really think have a chance to be added. Otherwise it just gets cluttered with topics that die quickly, and that entire thought process was wasted.

But of course, it's not like the ideas/suggestions forum is used very much at all, so I'm obviously taking it too seriously, but you get my point.

*edit*
Anyways, don't want to hijack the topic, nor do I mean to discourage anyone from suggesting. If you actually do intend to fix your sprite I look forward to seeing the finished product.

Cactuscat222

Quote from: Lucifer on February 23, 2010, 03:11:46 AM
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply everyone has that mindset, only to note that people shouldn't come in with it. What I got from reading his post was that he randomly thought his sprite would be useful because it fits the style of stick online, and therefore should be added.

A better approach, in my opinion, would have been to post this in the media or off topic forum, and ask for criticism/ideas to improve your spiriting ability. The reason for this is because when you make a post in the ideas/suggestions, people (me, anyways) tend to think you're Actually suggesting something, and judge your work that way. This obviously wasn't a finished product, and if he actually did think it was, that further proves my point. Ideas/Suggestions should be a place for finished products, ideas you Really think have a chance to be added. Otherwise it just gets cluttered with topics that die quickly, and that entire thought process was wasted.

But of course, it's not like the ideas/suggestions forum is used very much at all, so I'm obviously taking it too seriously, but you get my point.

Ahhh, I see what you are getting at. Very true - it'd rather be finished first before putting it in the suggestions, although that may be a tad too strict, as all ideas have to be refined.

Check out Stick Online HotKeyz v1.03 (Now with Full Screen Support!): Click Here

leviofoley

OK, so I'll tweak the guy's arms and legs so they don't get out of proportion in some frames...and I'll see what I can do with the weapon blur.

Delicious

The sword isn't really creative, but it's good nonetheless.  :)
<3

Josh

The animataion is good But as some people say the sword might need a little of work but i like the anim besides limb growth lol.

leviofoley

Bump for update.  Limb growth issues fixed.

Pat

Why is there a blur when he moves the sword down slightly but not when he swings it across?
Facepunch consumes your soul and assimilates you into their crazy community.