News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

Game Mockups - Update #3

Started by Delicious, July 06, 2009, 05:54:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Delicious

Game project I am working on. I believe that my programmer is set to program it in a NES styled platform game, however I am working with more modern graphics. Working on it to get excercise with pixelart.
Newer ones are placed at the bottom! :)

I've been deleting some of my posting after it's been read or qouted to keep it clean, so if there are any double posts, sorry. I'm just trying to fit a good amount on one, and answer as much questions as possible.

Put Em' Hands Up, And Gimme Your Tux!

This game will have tons of online shoot outs and general range were you could possibly pick up items and chuck it at your enemies! Also, you will be open to exploring the world, as it will have many platforms. Expect some underground caves with tons of puzzles and mysteries to solve in order to preceed to various areas on the map, and discover plenty of other lands along the way. Some would be so sneaky, that perhaps the world will not be fully discovered, therefor it gives tons more purpose to it. The game is also based on skill and action, rather then constant grinding, making it more enjoyable and less like a chore.
Anyways, enough about the gameplay.. :P
<3

EpicPhailure

Heh, Schyler is making a steampunk MMO as well. Good luck on yours though.

EpicPhailure

Maybe more scenery. Like, clouds or random birds. And unless that's like, afternoon or something, lighten up the sky.

Lingus

Quote from: Delicious on July 06, 2009, 05:54:30 PM
Steampunk is a cross between midieval and modern day lifestyle and technology.
Not necessarily. Steampunk has a varied definition depending on who you ask. In general it the anachronistic (blending of old and new) theme is common between all definitions. So saying "medieval" is not necessarily correct. The "old" time period being used varies. Sometimes it is victorian era, sometimes edwardian, sometimes it's the 20's or 40's, and some people even use the "old west". In fact, using medieval is a bit uncommon but not unseen. In any case, the fact that steampunk allows for different interpretation means you can use medieval if you want. In my opinion, it sounds like a really cool idea. Can't wait to see it!

EpicPhailure

Here's an idea: Have the sky covered with clouds and w/e. Since it's steampunk, shouldn't there be some type of pollution?

Actually, This is what I'm talking about.

Lingus

As mentioned, steampunk is varied in it's imagery. Depends on the effect you're going for. They might not have tons of smog.

I'm curious though, what forms of technology are being used? What modern era technologies and what medieval era technologies? That would help explain whether or not there should be smog.

Also, is there a story behind any of this? That helps things too.

ARTgames

your styli is vary far from "NES stylized". your color depth and resolution is all wrong.

here is a correct color panel.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/29/NES_palette.png

and keep this in mind.
Quote from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_Entertainment_SystemThe system has an available color palette of 48 colors and 5 grays. Red, green, and blue can be individually darkened at specific screen regions using carefully timed code. Up to 25 colors may be used on one scanline: a background color, four sets of three tile colors, and four sets of three sprite colors. This total does not include color de-emphasis.[40]

A total of 64 sprites may be displayed onscreen at a given time without reloading sprites mid-screen. Sprites may be either 8 pixels by 8 pixels, or 8 pixels by 16 pixels, although the choice must be made globally and it affects all sprites. Up to eight sprites may be present on one scanline, using a flag to indicate when additional sprites are to be dropped. This flag allows the software to rotate sprite priorities, increasing maximum amount of sprites, but typically causing flicker.[40]

Typically, games designed for NTSC-based systems had an effective resolution of only 256 by 224 pixels

If this is not the styli your looking for than don't call it "NES stylized" because thats misleading. What you have there looks good i just wanted you to know what your doing.

also its meiun not Muien.

Delicious

I'm aiming for a more modern graphicical veiw, though the platform game will be played much like a NES platform game, if that makes any sense? Ah god damn, I spelt it wrong? Haven't been around him for a bit, kinda gets away from me.
Also, I'm still confused on what my partner is also aiming for when he says steampunk. However, I believe it's our modern technology inside the more medieval enviroment. Smog would then occur, yes. Thank you for your opinions.
<3

EpicPhailure

Since you said Schyler was working with you, I'll assume that you're working on A Medici Story?

ARTgames

Quote from: Delicious on July 06, 2009, 08:15:55 PM
I'm aiming for a more modern graphicical veiw, though the platform game will be played much like a NES platform game, if that makes any sense? Ah god damn, I spelt it wrong? Haven't been around him for a bit, kinda gets away from me.
Also, I'm still confused on what my partner is also aiming for when he says steampunk. However, I believe it's our modern technology inside the more medieval enviroment. Smog would then occur, yes. Thank you for your opinions.

ok i see now. but when you said "I 'm not asking to discuss about the gameplay" i thoght you ware talking about your grahpics as in the styli of the nes.

But what kind of "NES platform game". mario, contra, mix? Also i hope you did not take my post the wrong way. i do think the artwork is great.

ARTgames

Quote from: Delicious on July 06, 2009, 08:49:41 PM
Well, he said something about it being played like a NES game - simular to Cave story, though it's a Wii platform game, it still plays classically and is pretty fun too. :) And naw man, I didn't take it the wrong way. And thank you.  :P

don't go to crazy there! Cave story was a pc game first! But i see what your saying. you going for a retro/modern kind of game like Cave story, or Bit.Trip Core.

EpicPhailure

Quote from: Lingus on July 06, 2009, 07:59:55 PM
As mentioned, steampunk is varied in it's imagery. Depends on the effect you're going for. They might not have tons of smog.

I'm curious though, what forms of technology are being used? What modern era technologies and what medieval era technologies? That would help explain whether or not there should be smog.

Also, is there a story behind any of this? That helps things too.

That picture up there was included in their topic for A Medici Story. I guess that's the effect they're going for.

Lingus

Delicious

Thanks for the feedback guys. ;)
Anything to add now? I'll do birds and such, but just working with backgrounds atm. Perhaps a crashed plane or something to give it an orginal effect on each level design?.
<3

ARTgames

Quote from: Delicious on July 06, 2009, 09:57:21 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys. ;)
Anything to add now? I'll do birds and such, but just working with backgrounds atm. Perhaps a crashed plane or something to give it an orginal effect on each level design?.

I really like that robot. I would like to see what you will do with a crashed plane.