News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

Game Mockups - Update #3

Started by Delicious, July 06, 2009, 05:54:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EpicPhailure

If you're talking about backgrounds for cities or whatever, then you should have semi-modern cities that are a bit...slum-like I guess. This scene of Advent Children explains it what I'm trying to say.

ARTgames

Delicious

Alright, did two small mockups.. I'm hoping to display something new in each as i progress along. I will also try to keep most of the monsters a surprise, as well as items and such.. so, plenty of this will either be updates or things that are simlar like trees and odd things here and there. First one, I want to introduce the grim reaper, which could possibly play a role in the game, and a large rock and spikes in the bottom. These are not ingame stuff, and you could tell since no hud or anything has been applied. Yes, he is wearing a tuxedo in both the mockups, incase you guys ever wonder. Sorry for it being small.. you should have the option to swtich from 1x veiw to 2x veiw in game to make things easier on your eyes and to see what style suits you.  :D
<3

niwXOR

are those screen shots the native resolution of the game?

ARTgames

Ok. when the game come out do you know if you will be able to scale the game graphics on its native aspect ratio other than 2X.

Also is the hub pre rendered or is it all, i dont know the word for it but drawn in game with shapes like vector graphics?

Delicious

niwXOR - No, though I am unsure what the resolution of the game will be. It shouldn't be too large, as I really would like it to be focused on the character. The hud would most likely be placed on the top right and the inventory on the bottom left. But no, those resolutions are not real.

ARTgames - At this point in time, I'm unsure about both the questions, since I am so early into developement with my partner...  :-[

Completely offtopic, but I made myself an avatar..  :)

Also, anything to add/remove or edit? I want it so that you guys like the tiles and feel comfortable while playing if you intend to do so.. I need to make it suitable. Any suggestions would be appreciated. More mockups will be on the way as well.
<3

ARTgames

Well turn my questions into suggestions. I know you want to keep the rez small which is ok but let us blow it up if we want. because on a 1680x1050 screen a 10x5 guy not going to be easy to see. also your avatar vary scary.

Delicious

You will have the option of playing at 1x, which is what is presented, or 2x.. Therefor, It wont blur the quality of pure pixel work and ruin it like most games have when they allow you to change the resolution. So, at 2x, you should have no problem seeing the character..  ;) If thats not what you had ment, then perhaps you could refraise your question. And yea, my avatar is pretty spooky.

Also, I got another update! Added some bats, made the ground darker, added tile backgrounds (lightly saturated) to give it more depth. And got some large mysterious bricks, like that skull down there, and their is more were that came from.. plus, I made a tiny hat as another one of the items..

What do you guys think so far?
<3

ARTgames

bats are really small! Also is there going to be any foreground or animated background?

Delicious

The saturated tiles are the fore ground, the bats are going to be in the background flying around, and there will be a smoggy kind of sky with odd clouds moving slowly across.. So yea, their will be backgrounds. :) The bats are small, as thats the style I'd like to stick to, and their in the background as an extra, so they don't server much of a purpose other to give the game more character. It's animation of the wings are done, and I fully completed everything on the human base. But, does it look any good at this point?
<3

ARTgames

Is the stile you what is you what things to be pixaly or do you what them to be small? also why is the color different in the two screenshots? Also ware did your robot go? i liked it.

Delicious

As mentioned above, I changed the saturation to make the ground tiles more noticeable, and to add some stuff to the foreground without making it all look to washed away. I'm attempting to go for a very common style in pixel art. For example: Cave-Story, Moneyseize, FATHOM, Mode and many other pure pixel art indie games. Some of them are based on character sizes of 16x16, and I would love to stick with that classical size, but go with a more modern approche on the pixel graphics and such. Oh, and the robot will be back soon, along with some other friends. :) Glad you like him, I finished his attack animation yesterday! I should post it soon, though it's a Game maker file atm, so I have to find a correct animation software to share them.
<3

ARTgames

your foreground looks like your middle ground because the people are standing on it. But it also looks like you brighten and upped the contrast on it also. But it does not really matter, i like the bottom mock up better than the top.

i know you dont like bury pixes but is there going to be a fake dof?

Lingus

Art, now you're just getting into semantics. What he calls "foreground" you're calling "middle ground". Same thing.

Btw, on that third screenshot, it's throwing me off that the "mountain" or whatever to the far right is in the background but looks like it has a flat platform at the top. Anything in the background probably shouldn't look like you can stand on it. I would make background mountains not have a flat top.

ARTgames

Dude there's foreground, middle ground, background and there all different things. And im not sure if Delicious and i are talking about the same thing. So i wanted to clear that up with him.