News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

WiB: World in Balance [Turn 1]

Started by HamsterPants, April 11, 2010, 09:25:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HamsterPants

This is a very special forum game that I have been playing on another forum for the past couple weeks.
It's about world conquest(or conquest of the solar system if technology advances that far).

You start out as a small tribe in the stone age, and you advance in technology and epochs in order to stay ahead of the game.

The way it works is that you PM me a turn, and once I've collected all the turns, I will calculate your tech research with a random number generator.

(Note: The actual map is much larger than this one.)

Here is the turn format:
QuoteResearch:

Anything that has to do with research. No more, no less.
You can only research 3 techs at a time, if you research less than 3 techs, then your research progress will be boosted.

Tech1
Tech2
Tech3

Map Changing:

Anything at all that changes the map. ANYTHING. This includes making new units, fixing up old units, disbanding armies/scuttling ships, ceding land to others etc. If it makes a change to the map, no matter how slight, it goes here.

Military Production:
Where new units should be made, and what kind of units?

Everything Else:

Anything else you want to happen. Basically, this is the stuff I will be typing into the turn. Do NOT put anything into this category that changes the map, or has anything to do with research!!!

Finally, if you ever have anything to change about your turn, simply send the entire turn over again with edited details, and title your PM "WiB TURN CHANGE" (or something to that effect) and I will delete the previous one from the inbox. This prevents clutter, and will make the turn posting smoother and easier for me

You need to send in your basic information as a nation, just use your imagination, it can be whatever you want it to be.

Here's the Nation sheet.
QuoteName:
Capital: (You will start correlating to that city in real life, but you can rename)
Colour:
Religion/beliefs:
Flag: (Optional)
Anthem: (Optional)

There will be different Epochs.
Stone age (Farms and stone tools)
Bronze age (First metals and stuff)
Iron age (Roman like era)
Dark age (Arabian tech and for some the Greek Fire)
Medieval age (Early gunpowder weapons and that)
Renaissance age (Guns, Pikes, long distance exploration)
Colonial age (Colonization of New world and that)
Enlightenment age (Heavy ships, powerful muskets and early factories)
Industrial age (Railways, Factories, Steel ships, gatling guns)
Imperial age (Machine guns, gas, aeroplanes)
Modern age (Early computers, Cars, atomic bombs)
Digital age (Advanced computers, ICBMS, early space flight)
Space age (Lasers, space colonies, doesn't hurt to make stuff up. lol)

Also some other things:

Cities appear in the bronze age along with armies, every turn a city will produce a army dot or naval dot, this will double in the industrial age. The first city is your capital and in order to create more you must use up 3 naval or army dots. You can create a maximum of 2 cities a turn. If this system described above seems stupid and you have bothered to read this far, you can either leave an insulting note in the reply or a non-insulting one. The choice is yours my friend.

Research formula.

This formula will be used: T=(n/f)/R
T = Total Tech Gain
n = Random number 1-50
f = difficulty
R = Number of researches being held, if the number of researches being held is 1 then it is automatically put at 3, if there are 2 techs being researched then it will be 2, and finally, if there are 3 techs being researched, then none of them are boosted by this factor.

You can research anything you like at any time, results will vary though.
After I process your turn, I will try to keep you constantly posted on your research progress.

And last but not least. If you ask me to post the turn, I will wait an extra hour before posting the turn.

The game begins when 4 or more people join, when i post turn 1 you send in turn sheets.

11clock

HamsterPants

Quote from: 11clock on April 11, 2010, 10:15:49 PM
I'd like to join.
Alright clock, well you've got to send me your nation sheet, through PM if you prefer.

The format for it is in the first post.

Nation Name:
Capital: (You will start correlating to that city in real life, but you can rename)
Colour:
Religion/beliefs:
Flag: (Optional)
Anthem: (Optional)

Lucifer

This looks really interesting, but could you clarify a few things for me? First off, is there a tech list of some sort that we choose from? Or are you going to make up techs as we go? Also, could you explain the teching system in a bit more detail? I understand the formula, but about the techs themselves, does each tech differ in the amount of points it takes to research them, or is there a set amount (say, 50) that means the completion of each tech? Second, how do you advance an "Epoch"? Or does everyone get advanced to the next Epoch at the same time? Third, is there a list of commands for the Map Changing phase of the turn, and also a list of units? Finally, in the Nation Sheet,
Does this mean we have to choose a real capital, and that defines where we start off on the map?

Sorry for all of the questions, forgive me if you were planning to post more details once you've got enough players, I'm just a bit confused as to the mechanics of it all.

HamsterPants

Quote from: Lucifer on April 11, 2010, 11:10:54 PM
This looks really interesting, but could you clarify a few things for me? First off, is there a tech list of some sort that we choose from? Or are you going to make up techs as we go? Also, could you explain the teching system in a bit more detail? I understand the formula, but about the techs themselves, does each tech differ in the amount of points it takes to research them, or is there a set amount (say, 50) that means the completion of each tech? Second, how do you advance an "Epoch"? Or does everyone get advanced to the next Epoch at the same time? Third, is there a list of commands for the Map Changing phase of the turn, and also a list of units? Finally, in the Nation Sheet,
Does this mean we have to choose a real capital, and that defines where we start off on the map?

Sorry for all of the questions, forgive me if you were planning to post more details once you've got enough players, I'm just a bit confused as to the mechanics of it all.
I was actually waiting for someone to ask these questions.
I will answer every single one:

1. There is a tech tree, but you don't have to stick to what's on the list, if you can think of a tech that isn't on the tree then we can discuss it, and it will be possible to research. I'll have to make a more organized version of the tree myself so that it's more convenient.

2. There is a system for the tech research. Once a tech's research has reached 100 or higher, the tech is then finished. I use a random number generator to evaluate the outcome.

3. You advance an epoch by researching the right techs which will automatically advance your nation. I'll write up a general guide to go by in a minute here.

4. No, there's no list of commands for the map change, map changing is where you describe where you would like to expand your territory, or where you would want to move military units(wouldn't be a  bad idea to whip up a picture from the actual map to give an idea, if you are willing to go through the trouble).

5. Yes, the capital will be the place where you start out on the map, and it will be a capital city with greater defenses than other cities. I think it might have other uses too but I'll have to look further into it.
You can tell me where you want to start off by stating a real location or city, but you can rename it to your liking.

In every turn, your territory will expand, and it will be the same color as your nation.
There are some conditions, you can't have a yellow nation, because the color of cities are yellow, and you need to be able to see the stuff that's in your territory.

Trogdor

If you give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
If you light a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Seifer

NotoriousM4^

I'm quite confused as to what is "researching" as far as looking for "Techs", do they have to be relevant to that specific nation or area?

HamsterPants

Quote from: NotoriousM4^ on April 12, 2010, 03:15:56 PM
I'm quite confused as to what is "researching" as far as looking for "Techs", do they have to be relevant to that specific nation or area?
No, they don't have to be relevant, you can research any technology that is available in your epoch.

I'll put together a tech tree today...

HamsterPants

I put together a tech tree.

It's not finished, but it'll last us long enough for me to expand upon it.

Here it is.

http://sadpanda.us/images/119130-KWGVOG0.png

Just to give you a run down.
The Green Techs are passive, and help support an increase in population.
The Red Techs are for warfare.
And the Brown Techs are important for producing Red Techs.

HamsterPants

So far only 3 people have sent in their nation forms.

Oh and Trogdor, you were supposed to provide me with a pre-made image to use as a flag, but I made one for you anyway because I'm awesome...

Trogdor

Quote from: HamsterPants on April 13, 2010, 09:06:15 AM
Oh and Trogdor, you were supposed to provide me with a pre-made image to use as a flag, but I made one for you anyway because I'm awesome...

Oops, I thought people were going to use their imagination. I already have one picture picked out, so I'll send it to you.
If you give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
If you light a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

HamsterPants

Quote from: Trogdor on April 13, 2010, 11:06:59 AM
Quote from: HamsterPants on April 13, 2010, 09:06:15 AM

Oops, I thought people were going to use their imagination. I already have one picture picked out, so I'll send it to you.
Sure thing, but I already made your flag. So it kinda defeats the purpose. lol
I'll just show you the flag and let you decide.

HamsterPants

The Game.

The Big Map O Doom. http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/7318/wibmapturn1.png

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Trogdor ? Red ? Trogdoria
Religion: 100% Norse Paganism
Anthem: Wingthors Hammer, which glorifies Thor, son of Odin

11clock ? Green ? Uxu
Religion: 100% Unknownism
Capital Name: Uh
More Info: They act and look just like cavemen, but their skin color is green, they have antennae on their heads, and have big black eyes and...well you get the point.

Seifer ? Pink ? Aiel
Religion: 100% Atheism

Dipz - Blue - Dipzia
Religion: Dipziscoolism

GM's notes:
This is the part where you send me your turns in the format displayed in the first post. It doesn't need to be anything fancy, this is only your first turn, just get a feel for it, if you make any mistakes then I'll point them out to you and correct them.

Jackabomb