News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

WiB: World in Balance [Turn 1]

Started by HamsterPants, April 11, 2010, 09:25:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trogdor

Quote from: Jackabomb on April 14, 2010, 11:38:27 PM
Is it too late to join?

I don't believe so. HampsterPants and I were in chat a few days ago, and in it he mentioned WiB being fairly open in the respect of joining late, or leaving in the middle of it and returning later (though it would be courteous to stay the whole duration). He hasn't posted the Turn 1 results yet, so now if any would be the perfect time to jump in. The more the merrier!
If you give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
If you light a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

HamsterPants

Quote from: Trogdor on April 14, 2010, 11:53:51 PM
Quote from: Jackabomb on April 14, 2010, 11:38:27 PM
Is it too late to join?

I don't believe so. HampsterPants and I were in chat a few days ago, and in it he mentioned WiB being fairly open in the respect of joining late, or leaving in the middle of it and returning later (though it would be courteous to stay the whole duration). He hasn't posted the Turn 1 results yet, so now if any would be the perfect time to jump in. The more the merrier!
Yup, you can join at any time in the game.

Lucifer

Quote from: HamsterPants on April 11, 2010, 09:25:12 PM
Research formula.

This formula will be used: T=(n/f)/R
T = Total Tech Gain
n = Random number 1-50
f = difficulty
R = Number of researches being held, if the number of researches being held is 1 then it is automatically put at 3, if there are 2 techs being researched then it will be 2, and finally, if there are 3 techs being researched, then none of them are boosted by this factor.

I'm sorry, but looking at this again, I'm a bit confused. Would you mind explaining this system to me? So the Total Tech Gain = (The Random Number / The Difficulty of the Tech)/ The Number of Researches, correct? So say I were to research one difficulty 2 tech, and I roll a 24. This would be T = (24/2)/3, Right? (24/2)/3 = (12)/3 = 4. After that I Presume that the 4 would be added to the initial roll, so your total tech gained would be 28. Correct me if I'm wrong so far, but to me this seems like a very minimal gain. Lets use the same thing, but instead of one tech, two techs. (Beforehand, I'm not sure if you roll once per every tech, I assumed that one roll counts for all techs.) T = (24/2)/2. (24/2)/2 = (12)/2 = 6; 24 + 6 = 30. Is this confusing to anybody else? So far, what I'm seeing is researching one tech is counterintuitive, in the end you're loosing tech points.

I'm probably just looking at this all wrong, I'm not very good at math anyways. A lot of this is presumptions, like for instance I have no idea what difficulty really is, I just figured different techs had a different difficulty, ranging from probably 1-3 or so. Also I figured the end result is added onto the initial roll, that way you actually end up higher than what you start with.

*edit*
Now that I think about it more, I guess the entire point of the formula is not that researching one tech is better or the same as researching more than one, it's just for finishing one tech a turn or two faster. Researching one tech at a time would never be a good idea in general, unless you actually really needed something done by the next few turns. (However you're still loosing a shatload of points...) I'm just thinking about this too much I guess, at first look the change just seemed way too minimal to ever bother with. What I think I would actually do instead is have R = 1 for 1 tech instead of 3, this way you get a bonus actually worthwhile.

Jackabomb

Is now the time to submit turn actions?

11clock

Quote from: Jackabomb on April 15, 2010, 08:02:10 PM
Is now the time to submit turn actions?

Yes it is. Submit through PM.

Jackabomb

About the tech tree...could you put some way to distinguish the units you can build from research?

uberzleet

it says im not allowed to make private messages, so should i post my nation here? If so i will edit this post and have it here.
Bandits

Lucifer

Quote from: uberzleet on June 28, 2010, 07:02:23 PM
it says im not allowed to make private messages, so should i post my nation here? If so i will edit this post and have it here.
Considering the last post in this topic was over two months ago, I think Hamster decided against proceeding with this. I would love to play a game like this however, sometime I might be motivated to create my own, maybe civilization forum-style.

HamsterPants

Quote from: Lucifer on June 28, 2010, 08:18:32 PM
Quote from: uberzleet on June 28, 2010, 07:02:23 PM
Considering the last post in this topic was over two months ago, I think Hamster decided against proceeding with this. I would love to play a game like this however, sometime I might be motivated to create my own, maybe civilization forum-style.
Yeah, I ran into a terrifyingly busy schedule just as we were about to begin... It's a very difficult game for a person to run. The creator basically has to be the computer processing everything. I would still like to do something like this, however, I think there should be a simpler approach. Something more discreet too(as in, not everybody has a front row seat at seeing what their enemies are doing every second), I think if the game were even more PM oriented, then that would be better, but trying to make that easy in the first place is what I haven't figured out yet... lol