News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

constant fps display

Started by ARTgames, September 19, 2010, 07:13:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ARTgames

Something simple I would like to have is when you type /fps it shows fps counter in the top right side of the screen. Nothing big, about the size of the text chat uses.

Why I want this is so I can see the fps change dynamically. So that way I can know if I'm having performance issues and to help me when I'm helping some one else.  I use Fraps for this but sometimes on older boxes I don't want to run more than whats required, and on PC's that are not mine I don't want to install software they might not want.

This would also be nice for ping. So I know when my network is starting to crap out. I know it would use more bandwidth but its almost nothing. But I can understand if you still don't want to.

That is all. Thank you for reading.

Prosper

Lingus

Quote from: ARTgames on September 19, 2010, 07:13:13 PM
This would also be nice for ping.
Wouldn't that essentially cause a denial of service attack? Everyone constantly pinging the server?

ARTgames

Well I'm assuming not because lots on online game's have a ping that's constantly updating. Ping packets are not that big and have lower processing overhead for the server and only needs to be send back to you.

Now I do mean to be reasonable. I don't expect a ping packet sent as fast as you can like a ddos. :P Maybe just one every 5 secs will be just fine.

Hell Ill be more reasonable than that. For one /ping it just pings the server every 5 secs for only 30 secs. That will give me just as much as I need to see if something is going on. BTW It would show like the fps would. Just a number in the right top corner.

I'm ok with not having it also. As it was only a side suggestion.

Lingus

bubba

Quote from: Lingus on September 20, 2010, 02:28:08 AM
Quote from: ARTgames on September 19, 2010, 07:13:13 PM
This would also be nice for ping.
Wouldn't that essentially cause a denial of service attack? Everyone constantly pinging the server?
Ping is just another word for Latency which is the time in which it takes your client to send packets back and fourth between the server, ping is ALWAYS going on so long as you are connected to the server, i believe ping on most games is updated every 5 seconds or so, if SO had a "scoreboard" it would show this ping, running your /ping command would do nothing other than show how fast you are registering back and fourth between the server and therefore cause no collateral.

The way (i assume) meiun has it set up is that if you did:
/ping
wait 1;
/ping
wait 1;
/ping
wait 1;
/ping
wait 1;
/ping
wait 1;
those would all show it being 100
then, once on your 6th second it shows it as another number, persay 101. This is the theory at work and therefore you are not repinging the server everytime you do /ping, you are simply showing what your connection is with the server.

Now if he DOES have it set so it repings the server everytime you do /ping, that needs to be fixed pronto!

ARTgames

And to my assumption I would guess he would not be pinging the server every 5 seconds. He has not use to. I assume he only sends a ping packet when you ask for it with /ping and sends one every time you do so. I logged into so for my self and sent two /pings fast under 5 secs and got different results.

And there nothing wrong with that IMO. Chatting with some one on stick online takes up a lot more bandwidth. Running back and forth, Attacking monsters, take up a lot more than some one trying to type /ping as fast as they can.