News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

Pirate Arr

Started by Ceroblitz, December 29, 2009, 04:00:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Pwnage

Quote from: NotoriousM4^ on December 30, 2009, 02:24:22 PM

Yeah, I think the face could still be used to. But if a parrot is to be added, we need to broaden up the shoulders. Sorta like these:

I also added sort of a Machete type weapon, I think that would be a little more fitting.

Here's some other Pirate stuff I was working on:

I'll throw my 2 cents in...
For the boss:
1) Use the 3rd, the one with the face.
2) Move the parrot higher up on his shoulder.
3) The peg leg looks strange: Make the funneled portion of the peg leg smaller, to better fit his leg. Also, get rid of the 2 white looking pixels at the bottom, and give the peg leg a mild cylinder shading.
4) Make amends to the body so it doesn't look so awkward. As of current, I'd say that pirate has some mighty fine hooters. With a little bit of tweaking that shouldn't be too hard to fix.
5) For the red eye patch, get rid of that strange red triangle, and just make the patch itself larger.
6) This last one might be more personal preference, but I would darken the colors of the pirate hat. A dark brown would look better in my opinion.
For the Sailors hat:
The second one looks perfect...don't use the gem....and you might want to make the cutlass go down more if that is standing animation.
For the Bandanna Crew Member:
The Bandannas shape is wrong, and it looks 2d...could use some tweaking. Also, point the hook down if that is standing animation.
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -Albert Einstein (1947)

http://www.benmward.com/projects.php

NotoriousM4^

Quote from: Mr Pwnage on December 30, 2009, 02:40:46 PM
For the boss:
3) The peg leg looks strange: Make the funneled portion of the peg leg smaller, to better fit his leg. Also, get rid of the 2 white looking pixels at the bottom, and give the peg leg a mild cylinder shading.
4) Make amends to the body so it doesn't look so awkward. As of current, I'd say that pirate has some mighty fine hooters. With a little bit of tweaking that shouldn't be too hard to fix.
5) For the red eye patch, get rid of that strange red triangle, and just make the patch itself larger.
6) This last one might be more personal preference, but I would darken the colors of the pirate hat. A dark brown would look better in my opinion.
For the Sailors hat:
The second one looks perfect...don't use the gem....and you might want to make the cutlass go down more if that is standing animation.
The Bandannas shape is wrong, and it looks 2d...could use some tweaking. Also, point the hook down if that is standing animation.

I'll take most of these into consideration, thanks for the advice :D. I've been struggling with 2-4 on the boss pirate, so If Cero can help me out there it would be nice  :P. However, for the eye-patch, in my vision, it's not really the standard black eye-patch, it's sort of a makeshift one made out of some sort of handkerchief. That is why you have the knot to the left, and it is embroidered in gold. If you take another look at the blown up version maybe you can sorta see what I was aiming at.

Edit: Regarding the bandanna pirate, well that was more of a shot in the dark xD, I'll work more on it later. As for whether or not there in walking or standing animation, I'm not quite sure, those are Cero's. I just used to bodies to model for the hats and hook.

2nd Edit: Blunderbuss anyone? (Not really a suggesting just for Lol's)

stick d00d

You also need to add a standing sprite facing <<, since the eyepatch will change. They look great though.

ARTgames

Quote from: stick d00d on December 30, 2009, 04:28:48 PM
You also need to add a standing sprite facing <<, since the eyepatch will change. They look great though.

not really. all you need to do is flip it on the x axise. And any one can do that.

EpicPhailure

The blunderbuss looks more like a Spire that he's holding more than an early shotgun. I say make it bigger, and make it stand out more.

crozier

version1 (my personal favorite)
version 2
version 3
Some hats I made in August.
Just felt like bringing them back due to this new pirate ship :D

Mr Pwnage

Quote from: NotoriousM4^ on December 30, 2009, 03:03:41 PM
Quote from: Mr Pwnage on December 30, 2009, 02:40:46 PM
For the boss:
For the Sailors hat:

I'll take most of these into consideration, thanks for the advice :D. I've been struggling with 2-4 on the boss pirate, so If Cero can help me out there it would be nice  :P. However, for the eye-patch, in my vision, it's not really the standard black eye-patch, it's sort of a makeshift one made out of some sort of handkerchief. That is why you have the knot to the left, and it is embroidered in gold. If you take another look at the blown up version maybe you can sorta see what I was aiming at.

Edit: Regarding the bandanna pirate, well that was more of a shot in the dark xD, I'll work more on it later. As for whether or not there in walking or standing animation, I'm not quite sure, those are Cero's. I just used to bodies to model for the hats and hook.

2nd Edit: Blunderbuss anyone? (Not really a suggesting just for Lol's)

Ah, well in that case I suggest you make the gold in the eye patch a darker shade of gold because right now it is so light it blends with the white of the stick figures face. Try that and see if it looks any better.
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -Albert Einstein (1947)

Lingus

Quote from: Mr Pwnage on December 30, 2009, 11:39:31 PMAh, well in that case I suggest you make the gold in the eye patch a darker shade of gold because right now it is so light it blends with the white of the stick figures face. Try that and see if it looks any better.
Are you sure it's not your monitor. It looks fine on my screen. I noticed you also said something about making the hat a darker brown. It's already pretty dark. Maybe you have your brightness/contrast up too much?

Ceroblitz

Minimal pirate details walk

Magebolt

http://teno.boards.net/

Just started a 2D Platformer MMORPG with Killer Loader called " The Endless Night Online"

DivineLegend

he looks like he is walking like a pimp with a limp

Pat

Quote from: DivineLegend on December 31, 2009, 02:48:10 AM
he looks like he is walking like a pimp with a limp
Yeah, I agree. The problem is he goes down for only one frame of the cycle.
Facepunch consumes your soul and assimilates you into their crazy community.

Delicious

Nice work, I have a few critics for it at this point if you don't mind...

The frame where he goes down 1 pixel is rather odd, as it's suppose to be the peak in which he rises; you are basically doing the exact opposite. If you are trying to make him limp, it would make much more sense to have frame 5 or/and 6. If not, there is actually no need for the 1 pixel decrease at all. His arms don't show much confedence (Almost femanine from the floppy arm movement).

Keep going, this is looking nifty.
<3

Mr Pwnage

Quote from: Lingus on December 31, 2009, 01:41:49 AM
Quote from: Mr Pwnage on December 30, 2009, 11:39:31 PMAh, well in that case I suggest you make the gold in the eye patch a darker shade of gold because right now it is so light it blends with the white of the stick figures face. Try that and see if it looks any better.
Are you sure it's not your monitor. It looks fine on my screen. I noticed you also said something about making the hat a darker brown. It's already pretty dark. Maybe you have your brightness/contrast up too much?
I'd hope not? What's considered normal/brightness contrast? (You can PM if you can't answer in 1 post.)

NotoriousM4^

Quote from: Mr Pwnage on December 31, 2009, 10:30:05 AM
Quote from: Lingus on December 31, 2009, 01:41:49 AM
I'd hope not? What's considered normal/brightness contrast? (You can PM if you can't answer in 1 post.)
I'm not quite sure if my settings are considered "normal", but my contrast is "75", and my brightness is "35".

Quote from: Delicious on December 31, 2009, 03:59:05 AM
Nice work, I have a few critics for it at this point if you don't mind...

The frame where he goes down 1 pixel is rather odd, as it's suppose to be the peak in which he rises; you are basically doing the exact opposite. If you are trying to make him limp, it would make much more sense to have frame 5 or/and 6. If not, there is actually no need for the 1 pixel decrease at all. His arms don't show much confedence (Almost femanine from the floppy arm movement).

Keep going, this is looking nifty.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure he's trying to make him limp. However, I may be wrong.