News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

Mount, faster travel

Started by jackel1994, May 27, 2010, 10:11:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jackel1994

lmao, higher levels should be able to mount lower levels, how about that guys?! ( defeats purpose of faster travel, yet funny as all hell hahaha )

Lucifer

Quote from: jackel1994 on May 29, 2010, 11:50:50 PM
lmao, higher levels should be able to mount lower levels, how about that guys?! ( defeats purpose of faster travel, yet funny as all hell hahaha )
That is... the single best line to come out of your mouth. Dear god... do want.

JninjaJ

i like the idea of mounts but it really does cancle out the need for agi

Lucifer

Quote from: JninjaJ on June 13, 2010, 02:41:22 PM
i like the idea of mounts but it really does cancle out the need for agi
Well, no, I actually have yet to hear a logical argument to back that statement up. All Meiun would need to do to balance it is give more uses, or power up the current use of less time between weapon swings. Making agility the one means of transportation doesn't seem entirely necessary to me. I'm just fine without any kind of mount or travel system, and agility staying the same, but I don't believe the concept should be tossed out the door because it would "cancle out the need for agi", simply because it wouldn't.

LeGuy

What needs to be established here is that the purpose of AGI should be viewed not as transportation/convenience but instead another aspect of battle, just like STR or VIT. (...Or INT, for that matter.) Sure, being able to get to the Wall faster than everybody else is a nice plus to having high AGI, but Stick Online is an entirely combat oriented game, and I think the advantages of AGI should rest more in the area of combat, rather than transportation.
Whee!

Lingus

As I've already mentioned, I completely agree with Luc and Leguy on this. Character stats are combat oriented and any decision regarding them should take that into consideration. Things such as transportation should be based on status (ie gold, accomplishments, etc.)

JoEL

The speed of the mount should actually increase your Agility, just like a hat or weapon would.

Cactuscat222

I agree with you all, as I have said before... however, looking at it though, one of the combat benefits IS being fast and jumping high. It allows for better evasion and getting the the opponent faster.

So, I still think mounts should be implemented for everyone, so that everyone has the opportunity to get to places faster - but agility still holds the value of moving faster and jumping in combat.

Unless there are other ways to make agility more combat viable, that could replace the movement speed of it.

Check out Stick Online HotKeyz v1.03 (Now with Full Screen Support!): Click Here

Lingus

Quote from: Cactuscat222 on June 15, 2010, 12:49:51 AM
I agree with you all, as I have said before... however, looking at it though, one of the combat benefits IS being fast and jumping high. It allows for better evasion and getting the the opponent faster.

So, I still think mounts should be implemented for everyone, so that everyone has the opportunity to get to places faster - but agility still holds the value of moving faster and jumping in combat.

Unless there are other ways to make agility more combat viable, that could replace the movement speed of it.
I'm not sure what you're saying here. My point about Agi being a combat stat is what you are saying. All of its current benefits should be looked at in the light of combat. So Agi makes you move faster because it makes you more effective in combat. The fact that it allows you to travel faster is irrelevant. Therefore adding mounts for faster travel should not detract from Agi's effectiveness because it doesn't have anything to do with combat.

What do you mean by "mounts should be implemented for everyone"? No one was suggesting otherwise. Everyone would have the ability to purchase or otherwise obtain any mount in the game.

I don't think anyone was suggesting that mounts would replace Agi's movement speed in any way. Agi would act exactly as it does now.

Cactuscat222

Well, when I first thought about it, I was thinking of getting rid of the bonus movement speed from agility, so that is where I was coming from.

Check out Stick Online HotKeyz v1.03 (Now with Full Screen Support!): Click Here

Lingus

I see... that would kind of have the opposite effect of what everyone is talking about though. It would make Agi even less effective. It needs to give a bonus to regular movement speed because, as you pointed out, it is effective in combat.

JoEL

I don't even think mounts would suit the game. I can't really say whether it suits SO3 or not because obviously we don't know what it is like yet. But for a 2D stick MMO, it kind of doesn't seem like it'd work to well...most games that have mounts make all the players stick with one or slightly improved movement speeds, which isn't effected my stats. SO isn't like other MMO's as agility increases your movement speed unlike most other games that actually have mounts.

So I think I'll say no to this idea so far. Unless I someone can come up with a way this will actually work. Which I can't see it working and fitting well into the game.

The only way I can even see it working is if it's like what I said before, just like a hat/and or weapon that provides bonuses. E.G +10 AGI.

Cactuscat222

...But Joel, why can't it just provide a solid bonus to movement speed? It is not like that is against the rules or anything. Meiun could put whatever he wants in. Just because its not sticking to the original stats does not mean it wouldn't fit with the game. In fact, it probably makes sense for it to adjust your base speed rather than add agility.

Lingus

Quote from: Cactuscat222 on June 16, 2010, 02:55:07 PM
...But Joel, why can't it just provide a solid bonus to movement speed? It is not like that is against the rules or anything. Meiun could put whatever he wants in. Just because its not sticking to the original stats does not mean it wouldn't fit with the game. In fact, it probably makes sense for it to adjust your base speed rather than add agility.
I'm not sure that would make a difference as you wouldn't be attacking or crouch-jumping from a mount. Those are the only other things Agi affects so it would essentially be the same thing. Alternatively though, it would be nice if mounts increased your base jump stat as well so you don't have to crouch jump to jump higher on a mount. So yea, mounts could just increase run speed and regular jump directly rather than increasing agi. I guess that would make more sense too. It would be odd to see a + to Agi on your stat screen when you are on a mount.

JoEL

Quote from: Cactuscat222 on June 16, 2010, 02:55:07 PM

That's true, mine was just an example. And technically I did kind of say that because some hats do change your base speed / jump.