News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

Stick Online 3

Started by ARTgames, September 17, 2009, 09:41:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jackabomb

I'm relatively certain none of that stuff has been coded yet, though I'm no authority on the matter.
My guess would be that he's been working on the basic setup of the game such as a one-player version of the game first, then redo it, using the same code, but integrating it into mmorpg form. That, at least, would be my approach to making an mmorpg. On the other hand, he could be doing the opposite and framing up the multiplay aspect first. My third guess would be working on basic physics, spawn systems, movement templates. Those are my guesses as to what he's working on when he says"Technical/raw form". I was under the impression that ALL code was technical.

JoEL

Yeah I highly doubt he's going to make an offline version then apparently use the same code and make an online version, they are two different, he'd basically have to start from scratch again. I don't think it's a good approach at all, seems very unnecessary.

And Meiun just said alls we would be able to comment on is the games physics and what not, so I also doubt the first thing you said was true as well.

Cactuscat222

Quote from: JoEL on November 15, 2009, 11:58:21 PM
Yeah I highly doubt he's going to make an offline version then apparently use the same code and make an online version, they are two different, he'd basically have to start from scratch again. I don't think it's a good approach at all, seems very unnecessary.

And Meiun just said alls we would be able to comment on is the games physics and what not, so I also doubt the first thing you said was true as well.

Actually it would be incredibly practical to construct a "single player" version first - especially if you are the kind of guy who likes to plan stuff out first. It would allow you to set in stone most of the game play elements and functions that you want in the game, without difficulty of the online programming involved. More than likely, you can grab a good chunk of that code to and transfer it over once you being work on the online version. A professional example of this: a game recently released called "Torch Light" - its a single player dungeon crawler, but they are using it as the base/prototype as they develop it into an MMORPG.

Check out Stick Online HotKeyz v1.03 (Now with Full Screen Support!): Click Here

Looperpuck

Quote from: Cactuscat222 on November 16, 2009, 01:41:36 AM
Actually it would be incredibly practical to construct a "single player" version first - especially if you are the kind of guy who likes to plan stuff out first. It would allow you to set in stone most of the game play elements and functions that you want in the game, without difficulty of the online programming involved. More than likely, you can grab a good chunk of that code to and transfer it over once you being work on the online version. A professional example of this: a game recently released called "Torch Light" - its a single player dungeon crawler, but they are using it as the base/prototype as they develop it into an MMORPG.

But wouldn't this procedure take twice the time and effort to make Stick online 3?

~Looperpuck

Resurrected

Cactuscat222

Quote from: Looperpuck on November 16, 2009, 03:03:17 AM
Quote from: Cactuscat222 on November 16, 2009, 01:41:36 AM

But wouldn't this procedure take twice the time and effort to make Stick online 3?

~Looperpuck

Time doesn't matter when you are a hobbyist/indie developer who doesn't have to listen to some board of directors or follow a deadline. And I'd say it might even save time, if anything. If you already have the core game worked out, you've already begun work on the game.

Check out Stick Online HotKeyz v1.03 (Now with Full Screen Support!): Click Here

JoEL

But why put effort into a single player version of the game when you could do better testing the online version of the game. Doesn't seem that all practical at all. You don't really see big game company's that develop MMO's developing single player games for testing purposes...well at least I've not seen any...I'm sure possibly it may have happened once or twice, but I've never seen or heard of it.

Cactuscat222

Quote from: JoEL on November 16, 2009, 05:34:48 AM
But why put effort into a single player version of the game when you could do better testing the online version of the game. Doesn't seem that all practical at all. You don't really see big game company's that develop MMO's developing single player games for testing purposes...well at least I've not seen any...I'm sure possibly it may have happened once or twice, but I've never seen or heard of it.

It is all dependent on the developer, obviously. Big game companies aren't going to need to worry about that because they have a huge amount of human and technical resources, and a set in stone plan before they begin work.

However, a beautifully networked game with no gameplay isn't going to do well - if you take the time to develop the features and gameplay you want, and test it out, you can see how it all works before you devote a large chunk of time programming it in online aspects. Its a great way to see how your game would function, and how fun it would be, before you put a very large amount of time into the online programming - and from there you can easily take portions of your pre-developed gameplay and just work with it. (In the game industry, before games are even set to being programmed, most publishers/producers want to see a full Game Design Document, which can often include a basic prototype)

Jackabomb

The approach is best suited for hobbyist programmers. Advanced or proffesionals are capable of writing it all at once. That method is also very easy for the developer because he divides a massive game project into 3 distinct sections: building the game itself in a single play format, building all the server to client communications and whatnot that is the multi play part, and integrating it all.

JoEL

But I've never done this, but I've always had a good idea in my head how things will and should work, as I'm sure Meiun does.

Cactuscat222

Quote from: JoEL on November 16, 2009, 07:40:31 PM
But I've never done this, but I've always had a good idea in my head how things will and should work, as I'm sure Meiun does.

Well yeah - like I said, it all depends on the developer. Everyone has their own style, and this is one that I know works pretty well.

ARTgames

QuoteHowever, a beautifully networked game with no gameplay isn't going to do well - if you take the time to develop the features and gameplay you want, and test it out, you can see how it all works before you devote a large chunk of time programming it in online aspects. Its a great way to see how your game would function, and how fun it would be, before you put a very large amount of time into the online programming - and from there you can easily take portions of your pre-developed gameplay and just work with it.

Oh, i guess you missed stick online one and two.

Cactuscat222

Quote from: ARTgames on November 16, 2009, 10:20:47 PM
QuoteHowever, a beautifully networked game with no gameplay isn't going to do well - if you take the time to develop the features and gameplay you want, and test it out, you can see how it all works before you devote a large chunk of time programming it in online aspects. Its a great way to see how your game would function, and how fun it would be, before you put a very large amount of time into the online programming - and from there you can easily take portions of your pre-developed gameplay and just work with it.

....Stick Online One and Two had Gameplay....

Scotty

Quote from: Cactuscat222 on November 16, 2009, 11:10:38 PM

If by game play, you mean run around and kill things for gold that was meaningless, attaining levels that were pointless, receiving weapons that did the exact identical motions as the rest, only varied in damage dealt, and disappointingly relied on new hats that added nothing but bonuses to stats, then yeah, LOTS of gameplay, lots!

EDIT: You will soon realize that the only reason SO will be remembered, is because of the community that participated.  For good or for bad, it does have a community that will make you smile with glee, and frustrated with annoyance.  The only reason Stick Online survived is because of its flavor of community that has leeched onto it.  Whether that is good or bad, well that is up to the individual player to determine.

Cactuscat222

Quote from: Scotty on November 17, 2009, 03:48:49 AM

If by game play, you mean run around and kill things for gold that was meaningless, attaining levels that were pointless, receiving weapons that did the exact identical motions as the rest, only varied in damage dealt, and disappointingly relied on new hats that added nothing but bonuses to stats, then yeah, LOTS of gameplay, lots!

EDIT: You will soon realize that the only reason SO will be remembered, is because of the community that participated.  For good or for bad, it does have a community that will make you smile with glee, and frustrated with annoyance.  The only reason Stick Online survived is because of its flavor of community that has leeched onto it.  Whether that is good or bad, well that is up to the individual player to determine.

Yes Scotty. That is what we call game play. And whether or not you liked it, it was enough to make players play. If the game was just running around, people wouldn't have played. Sure, it left a lot to be desired, but tons of people loved and still do love this game.

My point still stands.

stick d00d

Quote from: Cactuscat222 on November 18, 2009, 12:19:03 AM
Quote from: Scotty on November 17, 2009, 03:48:49 AM

Yes Scotty. That is what we call game play. And whether or not you liked it, it was enough to make players play. If the game was just running around, people wouldn't have played. Sure, it left a lot to be desired, but tons of people loved and still do love this game.

My point still stands.
Scotty has a point, but this is why we are looking forward to SO3, I'm sure Meiun and the team have a lot in store for us in the new version. (skills etc.) But to be honest I think the best things about SO2 are the PVP and community..