News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

My First Sprite EVER!

Started by Sainomi, January 18, 2010, 08:30:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chaos

Quote from: Snakeman on January 20, 2010, 10:34:04 PM
Quote from: Chaos on January 20, 2010, 07:09:10 PM
Honestly, I would practice drawing.  It helps a lot, since a lot of the same concepts carry over from one to the other.

My entire experience with spriting was from doing a lot of doodling and from observation on sprites from commercial games.  Look at what they did and think about why they did it, and why it makes the object look good.  Stick Online 2's blob was the first sprite I made for a game, with no real previous practice, not including the shitty original version of my Goldenblade RPG.

But Chaos my avatar captivates the truly simpler style of your old work from that classic game of yours!

That is from my ill-advised sequel to my Goldenblade RPG, though, which actually had markedly better sprite-work compared to its predecessor game.  That's about when I decided "Why the heck should I make a sequel with improvements to the concept?  I'll remake the FIRST game with improvements instead and get the concept right the first time!"

And I don't regret it.

Incidentally, sword looks okay.  Is it supposed to be squared off on the end there?
Jake says:
lol, I found God! He was hiding under a big rock this entire time that lil jokster

Delicious

Probably the best advice you will ever get related to spriting; Save your pixel-art sprites as a PNG.
<3

Chaos

Quote from: Delicious on January 21, 2010, 01:58:36 AM
Probably the best advice you will ever get related to spriting; Save your pixel-art sprites as a PNG.

^^^^^ ^    ^  ^^^^^   ^^^^^
     ^     ^    ^       ^       ^       
     ^     ^^^^      ^        ^^^^^
     ^     ^    ^       ^                ^
     ^     ^    ^  ^^^^^   ^^^^^
Jake says:
lol, I found God! He was hiding under a big rock this entire time that lil jokster

Sainomi

Okay thank you Gottoa go to school now

Sainomi

Added Black Emo Sword V2:
Next Adding V3
Added: V3

Sainomi

Added:
V4
Guys i think im geting Better
But i need better Shadeing give me
some tips Plz

LeGuy

Wow.

I've been watching your progress over the last few days, and while you're still a beginner, you have without ceasing shown a steady and noticeable improvement in your sprites. Obviously you need to learn shading and some good techniques, but your style (particularly that V4 sword) has become much more polished and neat than the scribbles you originally posted.

Keep up the good work.
Whee!

Sainomi

Quote from: LeGuy on January 21, 2010, 09:26:45 PM
Wow.

I've been watching your progress over the last few days, and while you're still a beginner, you have without ceasing shown a steady and noticeable improvement in your sprites. Obviously you need to learn shading and some good techniques, but your style (particularly that V4 sword) has become much more polished and neat than the scribbles you originally posted.

Keep up the good work.
Shadeing Is the gonnoa be hard for me
But not gonnoa giveing up Is there guide for
shadeing you send me Talk to me in Chat

EpicPhailure

Shading is actually pretty easy once you grasp the concept of it, or at least it was for me.

Sainomi

Quote from: EpicPhailure on January 21, 2010, 09:51:23 PM
Shading is actually pretty easy once you grasp the concept of it, or at least it was for me.
grasp the concept of it how I need Tips PLZ or a video
Thx you

LeGuy

It's quite simple, really - you just use increasingly dark shades of a color to signify that a surface is becoming less and less exposed to a light source.

Here's a really basic example I found on Google - a simple, six sided cube. Due to the laws of perspective, you can only see a maximum of three sides, but that's irrelevant for now. All you need to know is that the first side of the cube is bright green, and the second and third sides are dark green and darker green (proper color description fail) respectively. Based on the exposure to the light source, (in this example, the top-left corner of the window) the sides are darker shades of the exact same color of green. The first side is pointing directly at the light source, so naturally it will be the lightest color. The second sade is pointing slightly upward to the light source, but is on the other side of the cube, so it's slightly darker. And the third side is pointing down from the light source, so naturally it's going to be the darkest side.

Just simple shading is a vital part of creating nice-looking sprites, and eventually, even 3D graphics.

I can always give you more examples if you need 'em. I hope this helped somewhat. :P
Whee!

Jake

Also take note that it's not always necessary to make extremely smooth transitions between shades. often times only two shades of a color are needed to represent lighting. I see a lot of beginners use gradients for the shading, and it looks absolutely horrible.

LeGuy

Quote from: Jake on January 22, 2010, 01:13:48 AM
Also take note that it's not always necessary to make extremely smooth transitions between shades. often times only two shades of a color are needed to represent lighting. I see a lot of beginners use gradients for the shading, and it looks absolutely horrible.

This. Unless you're trying to establish some sort of fully-rendered 3D model of a building, then one or two shades are generally fine. Try to avoid gradients as much as possible.

[/pointless_reiteration]
Whee!

wrinkles

Shading is quite easy to do but to show detail in sprites gets tricky.. ive also watched your progress and i've seen a massive improvement keep going :D

Sainomi

I see Now I see some White lines on my avater girls hair
I will try  ;D
Edit.
Do you mean like this