News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

Stick Online's Second Game Tournament

Started by crozier, October 02, 2010, 11:41:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

11clock

Because this is a Stick Online competition, might as well make my game Stick Online themed. That means I won't be entering Blockster 2 in the competition, unless multiple entries are ok.

Scotty

Wouldn't it be somewhat fair to require that all games not be started before the start of this competition?  Seems like it gives those who started their games earlier an unfair advantage...

Chaos

Quote from: xCoCex on October 04, 2010, 04:42:48 PM

Here's a little screeny of my game.
completed:
Menu= 5%
Game= 50%;

I worked all day on it :D

Strange, I don't recall ever being asked permission to use my sprites...
Jake says:
lol, I found God! He was hiding under a big rock this entire time that lil jokster

Mystery

croz, I suggest a couple of rules. One being you can't enter something that was started on before the start of this competition, and another being that you can't take anything from someone else and put it into your game. If these rules aren't followed, I think the game maker should be disqualified.
AKA Paradox/EnragedDeity/Occurrence.
Quote from: Medgar Evers
You can kill a man, but you can't kill an idea.

ARTgames

edit:
sorry for bad past post.

I want to ask if other users here will get to play the game when they are done?

T-Rok

I don't agree with the not allowed to have been started before. The YoYoGames comp doesn't require this. Just because someone has worked on it longer doesn't mean it will be better. On top of that, you won't be able to tell if a game has been started on before this.

edit: ART, mine will be open to people to play. xD Although it won't be anything as good as what some peoples. imo.
edit: ART, I just remembered I showed you it last night, don't show anyone else >.>

crozier

Haha all these day posts.

I am sorry CoCe but I can't allow a SO based game, same with clock. I want the game to be unique and filled with new ideas. I am not sure if you can enter blockster two, as it is a sequal and not as unique as most games, and you are far into development.

I will add: Games must be made by the creator. The exception to this rule is music. Minimal amounts of people know how to create music, and don?t have the programs to do so. The composer MUST be credited for his or her work! Graphics and programming must be done yourself.  Again as mystery, an official judge, stated whoever doesn?t follow this will be disqualified.

You are only able to present ONE game. If you have made two games over the next month or two, then pick your better one. And remember the rule about effort. Put effort into your game.  Unless you have a lot of time on your hands, you shouldn?t be able to make a respectable game in a weekend. For example, if you notice your graphics are lacking, look up on some tutorials and make that better for your game.

Another debated topic is starting a game before the tourney. I have not fully decided on what to do here, but I am leaning towards being able to have started it already. Even though some people do not get enough time as others, you will still have at least a month to finish. And for some people Fall Break is coming up and you will get several days to work; and you will also be able to work the next 4+ weekends. So I am letting people enter started games, unless you are ?+ into development already.
@art games of course! That would take away much of the fun, and you wouldn?t even see what your rival is presenting. Games will be posted for all to see.

Also a question to the other judges, do you think there should be collaborations?
Feel free to tell me more opinion if you disagree with my judgement.

Scotty

Quote from: crozier on October 04, 2010, 07:58:00 PM
Also a question to the other judges, do you think there should be collaborations?

Do you ask whether or not I and the other judges can judge games together, he points out something that I missed, and I bring to light something he overlooked?  I kinda assumed that was going to be the case...

crozier

Quote from: Scotty on October 04, 2010, 08:05:21 PM
Do you ask whether or not I and the other judges can judge games together, he points out something that I missed, and I bring to light something he overlooked?  I kinda assumed that was going to be the case...
I kinda meant two people working together as a team. Im sure some people aren't the best spriters/ programmers/ etc. Working in little groups would help solve this, but give an unfair advantage.
Yet the judge collaboration is also useful. Im sure the judges can talk to each other and or argue about said games.

11clock

K, gonna make something with simple graphics due to my terrible graphics design skills. Just to let you know I never planned on stealing graphics from another game.

Chaos

I agree that you should allow games that were already being worked on, as there is really no way you can regulate otherwise.  I also think you should let people enter as a collaborative team if they so wish, as it's actually fairly rare for games to be made by solely one person, and it allows people to pool their particular talents.
Jake says:
lol, I found God! He was hiding under a big rock this entire time that lil jokster

T-Rok

Hmmm.. maybe i'll find myself a partner then.. nah. xD

Mystery

Quote from: Chaos on October 04, 2010, 08:59:31 PM
I agree that you should allow games that were already being worked on, as there is really no way you can regulate otherwise.

Quote from: T-Rok on October 04, 2010, 06:32:37 PM
I don't agree with the not allowed to have been started before. The YoYoGames comp doesn't require this. Just because someone has worked on it longer doesn't mean it will be better. On top of that, you won't be able to tell if a game has been started on before this.
My point was that in extreme cases, if one person has been working on a game for a year or so, and it would be impossible to create another one of that magnitude in that short period of time, it shouldn't be allowed. You may be able to recognize this if the game is just TOO big/complex/whatever. Smaller games I'm okay with.
AKA Paradox/EnragedDeity/Occurrence.
Quote from: Medgar Evers
You can kill a man, but you can't kill an idea.

T-Rok

Quote from: Mystery on October 04, 2010, 09:18:56 PM
Quote from: Chaos on October 04, 2010, 08:59:31 PM
I agree that you should allow games that were already being worked on, as there is really no way you can regulate otherwise.

Quote from: T-Rok on October 04, 2010, 06:32:37 PM
My point was that in extreme cases, if one person has been working on a game for a year or so, and it would be impossible to create another one of that magnitude in that short period of time, it shouldn't be allowed. You may be able to recognize this if the game is just TOO big/complex/whatever. Smaller games I'm okay with.

But what about in the case of someone who, while the game is not being "made" per se, but the creator has designed several separate scripts, sprites, ect previously which he decides he wants to use in this game?

Also, more teasers!

Lucifer

Pebble, just take a look at your game. Do you believe the work you've completed so far could be done within the time restraints given by the contest by anyone else? If so, you're in effect cheating the contest, in my opinion. If not, and it's more of a general outline, as long as the majority of the work is done while the contest is in effect, I don't see any problem with it.

I'd be willing to be a judge, if more are needed.