News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

TERA Online

Started by Meiun, February 04, 2012, 01:00:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seifer

Quote from: DarkTrinity on May 04, 2012, 07:41:32 PM
It looks like something I'd like to try sometime but I don't really want to pay for it. Will wait for a private server... ;D

That's the spirit!

havok

It looks like something I'd like to try sometime but I don't really want to pay for it. Will wait for a private server... ;D

you should just buy it will never be the same as the real thing for one. 2nd its kinda a shame to take a play on a private server of a game like that it hurts the company and its just defeats the point in the game lol.

would be like me saying o i dont want to donate $10 to SO so i will go on a private server. wouldnt be the same game and same rules lol you get my point in all this tho :p

btw not dissing on you just putting my 2 cents in and just saying buy it the game is well worth it :p

DarkTrinity

Quote from: havok on May 05, 2012, 09:33:18 AM

you should just buy it will never be the same as the real thing for one. 2nd its kinda a shame to take a play on a private server of a game like that it hurts the company and its just defeats the point in the game lol.

would be like me saying o i dont want to donate $10 to SO so i will go on a private server. wouldnt be the same game and same rules lol you get my point in all this tho :p

btw not dissing on you just putting my 2 cents in and just saying buy it the game is well worth it :p

Almost $160 to play for just one year....? Or $65 if i want to play for one month.... Like someone else mentioned earlier, I don't feel like I should have to buy a game and then pay a monthly fee to continue playing it. If it was straight up just $50 then I would consider it. Donating $10 to say play SO is different, it's $10 and you can play it for as long as you please(or as long as Meiun decides to keep it running). And even in that case it's so Meiun can keep his servers running.

Secondly, there are private servers out there that do try to stay as true to the game as possible; ones that do try to make it the same game and same rules.

venuse

just alittle info i think the first 30 days are included with the game, after that the monthly payment starts.

DarkTrinity

Quote from: venuse on May 05, 2012, 01:02:32 PM
just alittle info i think the first 30 days are included with the game, after that the monthly payment starts.

Yea, but still, you get 2 months for $65. Still more than I'd like to pay. And what, their open beta lasted like 1 day..?

T-Rok

Quote from: DarkTrinity on May 05, 2012, 01:30:57 PM

Yea, but still, you get 2 months for $65. Still more than I'd like to pay. And what, their open beta lasted like 1 day..?

If you find a private server before I do, be sure to let me know.

Or if the game takes on the Guild Wars model. Or even WoW's first 20 levels free model.

Scotty

Quote from: DarkTrinity on May 05, 2012, 10:59:40 AM
I don't feel like I should have to buy a game and then pay a monthly fee to continue playing it.

I have a hunch that such a business model isn't going to be around much longer (next couple of years is my guess).  It used to be that if you heard the words "MMO(RPG)", the first thing that went through your head was "Is it $10 or $15 dollars a month to play?", now games are finding much more success is adopting some form of a free to play model.  There's games out there that have made exorbitant amounts of money off free to play than with their monthly subscription model, most memorably being Lord of the Rings Online.  Then you have games that are entirely free to play, with the only purchases being made are supposedly going to be trivial, like Firefall.

I'm guessing that a lot of businesses are still adapting the monthly subscription model because they need to at least break even with all the expenses of developing large MMOs, and quite frankly, FTP is a freaky concept for games.  Just to clarify, I'm using FTP (free to play) in the context that you don't have to pay a monthly subscription, initial costs, or the lack of, are irrelevant for my point.  They still don't know how to make money off of it.  I stumbled upon a really interesting business model the other day when playing league of legends for the first time with Pwnage, Haon, Luci, and a few others.  You can either buy or earn different character roles you play in the game.  Being that each of the (seemingly) hundred characters all have their strengths and weaknesses, for the most part, players won't suffer too much if someone goes and puts for the money for a character, when they could just earn the money to get the same end result.  It's small things like those that companies can't seemingly think about, because they all seem to think about the game first, and stick to the same business model that proved really fruitful for one company, assuming it will do the same for them.  If you can develop your business model, and how it is you are going to make money, and then intelligently wrap your game's model around that, and also aren't a greedy effing bastard, you'll likely find more success in FTP.

DarkTrinity

Yea, I mean there are games I know of that are free but also have a cash shop to buy in game items with real money. The first that comes to mind is Lunia since I played it for so long. But you could get styled outfits or even items you can get in game, but for the people too lazy to actually get them through game play. lol. (Not a fan of that though since people could get stat-outfits so basically if you have money you can be stronger than everyone else). But they also made character which you could pay for or earn through game play.
But I know there are games where you can buy statless cash shop items that don't make you stronger, but make you look cool. And people will still buy those and make decent money off of it. Lunia isn't a good comparison as it is a smaller game with less intense graphics. Another game that comes to mind though is Dragons Nest.(which to me is like Tera & Lunia smashed together. DN doesn't have the open world of tera, but has the same attack style. But it's like Lunia in that it has the "stages" or "dungeons" or w/e you want to call them. DN is free, pretty good graphics and yet they still are free.

Meiun

Quote from: T-Rok on May 05, 2012, 01:42:35 PM

Or if the game takes on the Guild Wars model. Or even WoW's first 20 levels free model.
Please do not post or share any info or links to anything regarding private servers via these forums even if you were to find one. That is not something that is really condoned here. Not exactly a lawful thing.

Also, I honestly don't mind paying a fee if the game is good enough. Often brings more and larger content updates, and keeps the swarms of obnoxious little kids out :P In the grand scheme of things, if it's an MMO you really enjoy then you will probably be clocking enough time into it that $15 is really pretty trivial in contrast. But I do agree it is a dying concept.

Turkey

Started at 17 hours remaining with my max download of 350kB/s. How big is this game really? o_o

venuse

wait are you downloading just a patch or the entire game? because it only took me like an hr to patch and my download speed is like 60 or 80.

says on my system that the entire game is 25gigs

Turkey

This is for the entire game.
25gigs is by far the biggest game I have ever downloaded.

T-Rok

Quote from: Meiun on May 05, 2012, 05:24:17 PM

Please do not post or share any info or links to anything regarding private servers via these forums even if you were to find one. That is not something that is really condoned here. Not exactly a lawful thing.

Not exactly unlawful either. Just going to point that out. If it was all those private servers for other games would not exist for as long as they have. And I'm pretty sure Blizzard has the money to file lawsuits over private servers. Regardless, I live in Canada, we don't have laws up here, just lazy politicians who want more money for less work. And I have not nor will I agree to any ToS involving the game. Also I would never have such things sent via these forums either, that's what msn or facebook are for. As for discussion, I can clearly see nothing wrong with discussing the use of private servers anywhere on these forums.

ex1. http://www.stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=1615.msg34616#msg34616
ex2. http://www.stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=659.msg17776#msg17776

They exist because they are allowed to exist until the creator company decides otherwise. Such is the case of OdinMS and their lawsuit.

Meiun

Quote from: T-Rok on May 06, 2012, 03:16:10 AM
Quote from: Meiun on May 05, 2012, 05:24:17 PM

Not exactly unlawful either. Just going to point that out. If it was all those private servers for other games would not exist for as long as they have. And I'm pretty sure Blizzard has the money to file lawsuits over private servers. Regardless, I live in Canada, we don't have laws up here, just lazy politicians who want more money for less work. And I have not nor will I agree to any ToS involving the game. Also I would never have such things sent via these forums either, that's what msn or facebook are for. As for discussion, I can clearly see nothing wrong with discussing the use of private servers anywhere on these forums.

ex1. http://www.stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=1615.msg34616#msg34616
ex2. http://www.stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=659.msg17776#msg17776

They exist because they are allowed to exist until the creator company decides otherwise. Such is the case of OdinMS and their lawsuit.
I didn't say they were necessarily always "illegal". I said they were unlawful. Just because people get away with something, and just because it isn't always bad enough to be worth the companies time for a lawsuit, doesn't automatically make it ok. At least that's my take on the matter. It's not a huge deal, I just don't want discussion of such things to end up escalating in to anything more. If i had seen those example posts I would have stated the same then as well. This is certainly nothing that was ever made very clear prior to this, so it really is no biggie.

T-Rok

Quote from: Meiun on May 06, 2012, 08:45:31 AM
I didn't say they were necessarily always "illegal". I said they were unlawful. Just because people get away with something, and just because it isn't always bad enough to be worth the companies time for a lawsuit, doesn't automatically make it ok. At least that's my take on the matter. It's not a huge deal, I just don't want discussion of such things to end up escalating in to anything more. If i had seen those example posts I would have stated the same then as well. This is certainly nothing that was ever made very clear prior to this, so it really is no biggie.

Alright, I thank you for the clarification.