News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

Favorite Bands/type of music

Started by Kbob32, April 27, 2010, 08:30:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ARTgames

I wanted to ask if any one here dislikes any music gender that starts with "smooth".

Lingus

Quote from: Scotty on April 28, 2010, 09:56:42 PM
Quote from: Lingus on April 28, 2010, 09:40:06 PM
I like really good mellow kinds of stuff, but I don't care too much what it is or who's playing it. If it's interesting and unique, I'm into it.

I'm not that far off from you, as it all depends on my current state of attention deficit.  Here, I'll step away from death metal for a minute.  Take a look at these two acoustic guitarists.  Downright amazing to watch and listen to!

Rodrigo y Gabriela
Yea, I'm pretty sure I've heard of them and listened to one or two of their songs. Btw, I thank Pandora for that. They show up on the same station as Jeff Beck and Joe Satriani as well as some others I have never heard of but really enjoy. It's really a great way of finding out about new stuff.

Quote from: Trogdor on April 28, 2010, 10:10:20 PM
They can't top the Yoshida Brothers!
Wow, that was really cool. I like that.

stick d00d

Quote from: Lingus on April 28, 2010, 09:40:06 PM
Btw, I find it interesting that these topics always tend to gravitate towards metal..
Though metal is one of my favorite genre's, I listen to a lot of classic and soft rock etc.. once in a while you gotta listen to some calming music haha. It all really depends on my mood which type of music I go to first.

Also the songs I pick to listen to usually have something to do with how im feeling. (Basically relating to the lyrics.)

Mr Pwnage

Quote from: Scotty on April 28, 2010, 09:33:05 PM
Oh, and a new favorite of mine: Munity Within.  Check these guys out Pwnage, if you can like Bullet and some Sonic Syndicate, I think you'll like these guys.  The vocalist is freakin' amazing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PS8t9jrccU

Damn. That vocalist is !@#$ing great. Nice find. In many ways with combining a synthesizer and awesome guitar its a lot like sonic. Are these guys Swedish?
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -Albert Einstein (1947)

http://www.benmward.com/projects.php

Lingus

Quote from: ARTgames on April 28, 2010, 10:11:19 PM
I wanted to ask if any one here dislikes any music gender that starts with "smooth".
Forgot to answer this. Hell yea I do. "Smooth" Jazz. What the crap is that? I don't think they should be allowed to use the term jazz for that.

I don't know of anything else that starts with smooth.

Scotty

Quote from: Mr Pwnage on April 29, 2010, 05:26:01 PM
Quote from: Scotty on April 28, 2010, 09:33:05 PM
Oh, and a new favorite of mine: Munity Within.  Check these guys out Pwnage, if you can like Bullet and some Sonic Syndicate, I think you'll like these guys.  The vocalist is freakin' amazing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PS8t9jrccU

Damn. That vocalist is !@#$ing great. Nice find. In many ways with combining a synthesizer and awesome guitar its a lot like sonic. Are these guys Swedish?

Negative.  If I'm not mistaken, they are from Florida, but the vocalist is British.

NotSoCheerios

Favorite bands
Brand New
Coheed and Cambria
Rufio
Blackfield
Katatonia
The Human Abstract

@first post.
I do think Nirvana has some good songs, but not good in general as a band imo. It's a shame that he killed himself.. but at the same time.. Greatness did come out of it. Foo Fighters imo is a MUCH better band.

Lingus

On the topic of Nirvana, I don't think you can discount them that easily. For the type of music, it was the greatest of its time. I agree that Foo Fighters is a great band, but they were newer and doing different things by then. When it comes to the grunge genre, Nirvana was, and will always be, the epitome of that style.

Scotty

Quote from: Lingus on April 30, 2010, 04:32:12 PM
On the topic of Nirvana, I don't think you can discount them that easily. For the type of music, it was the greatest of its time. I agree that Foo Fighters is a great band, but they were newer and doing different things by then. When it comes to the grunge genre, Nirvana was, and will always be, the epitome of that style.

So does that mean I shouldn't discount the hobo on the side of the street and his drunken wailing he calls music?  :P

stick d00d

Ah I forgot to mention a few bands...
Sublime, Seether, Chevelle, Breaking Benjamin, Foo Fighters, Tool, Black Label Society, Alice in Chains... All awesome bands..

sk8terboi

Quote from: Meiun on April 28, 2010, 07:58:31 PM
Oh, yeah. That type of "screaming" more qualifies as the low gutteral stuff that I was saying I'm not really a huge fan of. Never really have been. When I use the word scream I more mean the type of stuff you'd hear from Bullet (although All These Things I Hate is a pretty mild example). There really are a lot of different styles of harsh vocals, so you can't really lump them all together and make a judgement on the whole genre until you've heard a variety. But yeah, although Arch Enemy definitly does have some epic guitar and all that, not a huge fan of that style of vocals, its really more of a growl than a scream anyways.

A couple examples of the type I like most are:
Bullet For My Valentine - Hand Of Blood: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0SrxSMHDmE
Threat Signal- Counterbalance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tu7AA7OIw3M
Atreyu - The Crimson: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDtxDRvFRdo
Bullet For My Valentine - Waking The Demon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaksTCdW5P8
Sonic Syndicate - Denied: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0t0FGyhB6C8
Sonic Syndicate - Rebellion In Nightmareland: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxQbs9v8FYk

Oh, and while it may not be quite as heavy in terms of metalness, I can't resist posting it since the album just came out yesterday and it's a sweet song.

Bullet For My Valentine - Your Betrayal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qz6IMjdthr4
waking the demon my fav song lol
[SSSS]

EpicPhailure

I completely forgot about my liking for Stratovarius.

My favorite song of theirs is currently Stratosphere.

VolcomPunk

Well, music is my specialty. So I'm going to share the very extensive list of bands that I enjoy listening to, though I might miss a lot of them.

A Day To Remember, A Plea For Purging, All Time Low, Anarbor, Anberlin, Angels & Airwaves, As Blood Runs Black, As I Lay Dying, As Silence Breaks, Asteria, Attila, Austrian Death Machine, Brand New, Between The Buried And Me (which I think Scotty would like), Blink-182, Bloodlined Calligraphy, Born Of Osiris, Bullet For My Valentine, Coheed and Cambria, Dashboard Confessional, Despised Icon, Drake, Eminem, Emmure, Escape The Fate, Every Avenue, Fall Out boy, Farewell, Foo Fighters, Forever The Sickest Kids, Four Year Strong, From First To Last, Greeley Estates, Hit The Lights, I See Stars, I Set My Friends On Fire, It Dies Today, Job For A Cowboy, Just Surrender, Killswitch Engage, Less Than Jake, Like A Movie (local), My Favorite Highway, New Found Glory, NOFX, Our Last Night, Paramore, Parkway Drive, Patent Pending, Plain White T's, Protest The Hero, Punchline, Recon, Rise Against, Say Anything, Scary Kids Scaring Kids, Senses Fail, Set Your Goals, Sing It Loud, Stick To Your Guns, Sum 41, Team Goldie, Texas In July, The Acacia Strain, The Audition, The Devil Wears Prada, The Format, The Friday Night Boys, The Maine, The Offspring, The Secret Handshake, The Starting Line, The White Tie Affair, Throwdown, Tokyo Rose, Valencia, Versa Emerge, Waking The Cadaver, We The Kings, Whitechapel, With Blood Comes Cleansing, Years Spent Cold, Yellowcard, Dr. Acula, Hoods, For The Fallen Dreams, Wisdom In Chains, Know The Score, Linkin Park, Sea of Treachery, Breathe Carolina, Cash Cash, Third Eye Blind, 30 Seconds To Mars, Boxcar Racer, +44, Pierce The Veil, Bayside, Secondhand Serenade, Chase Coy, Miss May I, The Morning Of, Incubus, Goo Goo Dolls, Kesha (yes I listen to her music), The Early November, Taylor Swift, Breaking Benjamin, Biggie Smalls/Notorious B.I.G (whatever you want to call it), The All-American Rejects, I Killed The Prom Queen, Bury Your Dead, Have Heart, First Blood, All Shall Perish, Beneath The Sky, Black My Heart, Blood Stands Still, Casey Jones, Death Before Dishonor, Fight Everyone, For Today, Jedi Mind Tricks, Lionheart, My Children My Bride, Suffokate, Through The Eyes Of The Dead, Bracewar, The World We Knew, Norma Jean, City and Colour, Self Against City, Hey Monday, Motion City Soundtrack, Between The Trees, Cartel, Panic At The Disco, A Rocket To The Moon, The Scene Aesthetic, Stephen Jerzak, Amber Pacific, Taking Back Sunday, Matchbook Romance, Relient K, Sherwood, Boys Like Girls, Something Corporate, Bedlight For Blue Eyes, Brighten, Sienna Skies.

But that's just off of the top of my head, and what I had sitting on my desktop (which is why half of it is in alphabetical order). There are definitely more that I'm forgetting right now. As you can see, I mainly listen to pop, punk, pop punk, metal, hardcore, metalcore, and acoustic. However, I'm very open about music and I'll listen to a lot more.

And Scotty, the reason I think you might like Between The Buried And Me is because they have some insane instrumentals and riffs that you may or may not like. In my opinion, their album "Colors" is pure orgasm.

NotSoCheerios

Quote from: VolcomPunk on May 01, 2010, 05:26:45 AM
Well, music is my specialty. So I'm going to share the very extensive list of bands that I enjoy listening to, though I might miss a lot of them.

A Day To Remember, A Plea For Purging, All Time Low, Anarbor, Anberlin, Angels & Airwaves, As Blood Runs Black, As I Lay Dying, As Silence Breaks, Asteria, Attila, Austrian Death Machine, Brand New, Between The Buried And Me (which I think Scotty would like), Blink-182, Bloodlined Calligraphy, Born Of Osiris, Bullet For My Valentine, Coheed and Cambria, Dashboard Confessional, Despised Icon, Drake, Eminem, Emmure, Escape The Fate, Every Avenue, Fall Out boy, Farewell, Foo Fighters, Forever The Sickest Kids, Four Year Strong, From First To Last, Greeley Estates, Hit The Lights, I See Stars, I Set My Friends On Fire, It Dies Today, Job For A Cowboy, Just Surrender, Killswitch Engage, Less Than Jake, Like A Movie (local), My Favorite Highway, New Found Glory, NOFX, Our Last Night, Paramore, Parkway Drive, Patent Pending, Plain White T's, Protest The Hero, Punchline, Recon, Rise Against, Say Anything, Scary Kids Scaring Kids, Senses Fail, Set Your Goals, Sing It Loud, Stick To Your Guns, Sum 41, Team Goldie, Texas In July, The Acacia Strain, The Audition, The Devil Wears Prada, The Format, The Friday Night Boys, The Maine, The Offspring, The Secret Handshake, The Starting Line, The White Tie Affair, Throwdown, Tokyo Rose, Valencia, Versa Emerge, Waking The Cadaver, We The Kings, Whitechapel, With Blood Comes Cleansing, Years Spent Cold, Yellowcard, Dr. Acula, Hoods, For The Fallen Dreams, Wisdom In Chains, Know The Score, Linkin Park, Sea of Treachery, Breathe Carolina, Cash Cash, Third Eye Blind, 30 Seconds To Mars, Boxcar Racer, +44, Pierce The Veil, Bayside, Secondhand Serenade, Chase Coy, Miss May I, The Morning Of, Incubus, Goo Goo Dolls, Kesha (yes I listen to her music), The Early November, Taylor Swift, Breaking Benjamin, Biggie Smalls/Notorious B.I.G (whatever you want to call it), The All-American Rejects, I Killed The Prom Queen, Bury Your Dead, Have Heart, First Blood, All Shall Perish, Beneath The Sky, Black My Heart, Blood Stands Still, Casey Jones, Death Before Dishonor, Fight Everyone, For Today, Jedi Mind Tricks, Lionheart, My Children My Bride, Suffokate, Through The Eyes Of The Dead, Bracewar, The World We Knew, Norma Jean, City and Colour, Self Against City, Hey Monday, Motion City Soundtrack, Between The Trees, Cartel, Panic At The Disco, A Rocket To The Moon, The Scene Aesthetic, Stephen Jerzak, Amber Pacific, Taking Back Sunday, Matchbook Romance, Relient K, Sherwood, Boys Like Girls, Something Corporate, Bedlight For Blue Eyes, Brighten, Sienna Skies.

But that's just off of the top of my head, and what I had sitting on my desktop (which is why half of it is in alphabetical order). There are definitely more that I'm forgetting right now. As you can see, I mainly listen to pop, punk, pop punk, metal, hardcore, metalcore, and acoustic. However, I'm very open about music and I'll listen to a lot more.

And Scotty, the reason I think you might like Between The Buried And Me is because they have some insane instrumentals and riffs that you may or may not like. In my opinion, their album "Colors" is pure orgasm.

Okay.. bolded = good. I stopped when I saw Dr. Acula.

But with a quick glance there is still some in there that aren't terrible. like.. Something !@#$ing Corporate.
Colors = Vast amount of WIN
As for Escape the Fate, I hope you like Ronnie over Craig.
also.. i saw acoustic.. and get my hopes up because my brain thought Instrumental.. now I'm upset.

It's true, this is my opinion, and we are all entitled to our taste. But, I will argue that Metalcore isn't music.

but.. I'm soo glad there is people here like Coheed. Maybe I'll show how much i like them.

EDIT: I like Coheed and Cambria

Maybe a bit to much.