News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

that onLIVE stuff

Started by ARTgames, December 29, 2009, 11:41:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ARTgames

Quote from: Jake on December 30, 2009, 01:43:56 PM
Quote from: ARTgames on December 30, 2009, 01:16:43 PM
Quote from: Lingus on December 30, 2009, 01:12:56 PM
Steam is different than this. Steam is digital distribution. This is streaming/remote connection. With digital distribution you have the game files on your computer. Your machine is running the game. The specs of your computer determine how well the game runs. You can't do that with streaming like this...

Thats not my point. My point was to combat jake's point of owning a physical copy. Steam does not give you a physical copy but yet people still use the service. Thus proving to jake that people will buy stuff even if you dont get a physical copy.
I actually made a mistake in my post. I meant physical and digital copies of the game. Like Lingus pointed out, we will no longer have either with onLIVE.
Ok that's fine. But think about the roku box, nexfilx streaming, voodoo streaming, pay for view, on demand tv, etc. You also have neither here ether. And these services still work. Now will it work as well for the gaming market idk. It looks like it could.

QuoteI also watched the video for 25 minutes, and never found out how they're going to account for a massive amount of people.
27:02 in the video. "well how do we go and build millions of servers? well we leash the server actually....." and he goes on. watch the whole thing next time :P

there's still so many problems. Even in the test videos, I saw frames being skipped and whatnot. DSL users are going to have a hell of a time playing games without their being a glaring input delay.
seemed fine to me. But i will say the video they did have on the site was not that good to start with.

But another thing i knowdest was that a lot of the games looked like there were running on a lower stetting. but its beta.

Jake

I'm not saying the service won't work. I'm saying that it will lose it's appeal to a lot of people because of the lack of a digital or physical property. MANY people will still love it, but I think this flaw will be one of the reasons that onLIVE won't make a much bigger dent in the gaming market. PC gamers are gonna be the real haters.

I've already watched a few other long onLIVE vids. I apologize if i didn't watch all 40 minutes of this one before posting. Anyway, watched what he had to say and he said what I thought he'd say. They will basically split people between servers depending on how GPU or CPU intensive the application they're using is. This isn't enough if they plan on their service getting popular. We'll see.

Lingus

Quote from: ARTgames on December 30, 2009, 01:58:46 PM
Quote from: Jake on December 30, 2009, 01:43:56 PM
Quote from: ARTgames on December 30, 2009, 01:16:43 PM
Quote from: Lingus on December 30, 2009, 01:12:56 PM
Steam is different than this. Steam is digital distribution. This is streaming/remote connection. With digital distribution you have the game files on your computer. Your machine is running the game. The specs of your computer determine how well the game runs. You can't do that with streaming like this...

Thats not my point. My point was to combat jake's point of owning a physical copy. Steam does not give you a physical copy but yet people still use the service. Thus proving to jake that people will buy stuff even if you dont get a physical copy.
I actually made a mistake in my post. I meant physical and digital copies of the game. Like Lingus pointed out, we will no longer have either with onLIVE.
Ok that's fine. But think about the roku box, nexfilx streaming, voodoo streaming, pay for view, on demand tv, etc. You also have neither here ether. And these services still work. Now will it work as well for the gaming market idk. It looks like it could.
I actually don't think Netflix streaming is as good as having the DVD. I'm sure there are even more people that would be against the movie industry going towards streaming. There's so many video- and audiophiles out there that need to have the best quality sound and video when they watch a movie. I just don't see them being even remotely satisfied by streaming. Those products you mention are working now... but I don't think they will ever be the exclusive form of watching movies. Just like I don't see streaming video games being the exclusive way of playing games. Which is fine...

ARTgames

Quote from: Jake on December 30, 2009, 02:17:26 PM
I'm not saying the service won't work. I'm saying that it will lose it's appeal to a lot of people because of the lack of a digital or physical property. MANY people will still love it, but I think this flaw will be one of the reasons that onLIVE won't make a much bigger dent in the gaming market.

mmk. just making sure. I dont think it will. I think it will place a big dent over time. Thats just me tho. And i think thats a fair (yours) view that that will prevent it from doing such things.
PC gamers are gonna be the real haters.
Yup. there not too many of them also.

I actually don't think Netflix streaming is as good as having the DVD.
yup. its not as good quality and you don't get the extras and you cant play it without internet. But those are all things that can be fixed with tech.

QuoteI'm sure there are even more people that would be against the movie industry going towards streaming. There's so many video- and audiophiles out there that need to have the best quality sound and video when they watch a movie.
Not really. The video- and audiophiles is a vary small percent. Normal people don't care nearly as much.
Those products you mention are working now... but I don't think they will ever be the exclusive form of watching movies. Just like I don't see streaming video games being the exclusive way of playing games. Which is fine...
There not now but are starting to become more and more digital. There are steamed events in movie theaters.

Now why i think all video games could go all streamed is because it could be better for the consumer and its really is better for the developer. Its and extream look but i think it could happen. Im not to sure about hand held devices but maybe one day. I think its a matter of connection advablilty and speed. I dont think its going to take over the indasty over night but i think it will cause damige if its succesful. just my prediction.

What you need to think about with streaming is that's its as i said in the past convent. Maybe all you want to see is a quick movie and you don't want to w8 for a disk or goto a video store or buy the dvd watch it once and let it collect dust. Think of all the movies you dont really care about owning but still would like to see if you have some free time.

Its funny how we had main frames computers, when to pc's, then were are coming back. I mean theres no reason why this hast to stop at gaming. cloud computing has many forms.

I think its fair what you and jake think. Its just that i have a different thought.

Lingus

I agree that this kind of thing has its uses. It's definitely convenient. I just don't think it will ever be the ONLY way of doing things. But who knows.

ARTgames

Quote from: Lingus on December 30, 2009, 03:11:56 PM
I agree that this kind of thing has its uses. It's definitely convenient. I just don't think it will ever be the ONLY way of doing things. But who knows.
And this is how i feel exactly! :D

JoEL

Australians won't have much use for this, as we have an internet download cap. You can only download a certain amount of gigabytes of data that you pay for. You can pay for a bigger cap sure, but it's expensive. I can see myself getting capped within a few days of playing this...in other words, it's completely useless.

Also they say this will over be how we get access to games in the future, you will not be able to buy an actual copy of the game from a game store, as they will not exist in this future.

Lingus

Quote from: JoEL on December 30, 2009, 05:23:16 PM
Australians won't have much use for this, as we have an internet download cap. You can only download a certain amount of gigabytes of data that you pay for. You can pay for a bigger cap sure, but it's expensive. I can see myself getting capped within a few days of playing this...in other words, it's completely useless.
I imagine that will change in the future. I've heard of that kind of payment model. In the end companies have to do what their customers want. And if most people want to be able to use unlimited bandwidth, then they will eventually provide it.

Chaos

You know Art, you seem to be making an awful lot of assumptions about the general population.

I said it the first time someone brought this up, and I say it again.  I think this is stupid.  I can see its uses for some people, but I have absolutely NO interest in it myself.  Give me cds, dvds, or what have you.  When this company goes bankrupt, as all companies eventually do, say bye-bye to your games.  I'll be sitting in my home playing all my old games whenever I want and laughing.

It's a nice service, but it will NEVER replace hard copies.
Jake says:
lol, I found God! He was hiding under a big rock this entire time that lil jokster

Jackabomb

Well, I see truth in chaos's point of view(how much of that is due to not wanting him to cream me like he did in the topic about the dog thrown off the bridge, I don't know), but one can rarely be correct when speaking in absolutes. I'm sure someone said, way back when, "Books are great for some people, but they'll never replace scrolls."

Chaos

Quote from: Jackabomb on December 30, 2009, 06:38:45 PM
Well, I see truth in chaos's point of view(how much of that is due to not wanting him to cream me like he did in the topic about the dog thrown off the bridge, I don't know), but one can rarely be correct when speaking in absolutes. I'm sure someone said, way back when, "Books are great for some people, but they'll never replace scrolls."

The difference with that is you can still hold a book in your hand as much as a scroll.  You never get to own any of these games, you pretty much get to pay people to play them.  !@#$ that.  If I'm going to pay money, I want to own what I'm paying for.
Jake says:
lol, I found God! He was hiding under a big rock this entire time that lil jokster

ARTgames

Quote from: Chaos on December 30, 2009, 06:32:39 PM
You know Art, you seem to be making an awful lot of assumptions about the general population.
please point out what they are.

I said it the first time someone brought this up, and I say it again.  I think this is stupid.  I can see its uses for some people, but I have absolutely NO interest in it myself.  Give me cds, dvds, or what have you.  

I have said that i dont like phycopys becase i feel they are wastfull. But i know why you want them. Im just trying to say why i dont think they will last. Time will tell.

QuoteYou never get to own any of these games, you pretty much get to pay people to play them.
And do you think for most people that is enough?

Chaos

Quote from: ARTgames on December 30, 2009, 07:11:15 PM

QuoteAnd even if the quality is no ware neer its quality people don't care because streaming is good enough for most people.

QuoteYes people want that but convinces is more important.

QuoteThe other point they are trying to say is that you can still play these games and not have a powerful system at your end. And for a lot of people that's all they want.

QuoteYup. there not too many of them also.

QuoteThe video- and audiophiles is a vary small percent. Normal people don't care nearly as much.

I said it the first time someone brought this up, and I say it again.  I think this is stupid.  I can see its uses for some people, but I have absolutely NO interest in it myself.  Give me cds, dvds, or what have you.  

I have said that i dont like phycopys becase i feel they are wastfull. But i know why you want them. Im just trying to say why i dont think they will last. Time will tell.

It doesn't even have to be physical copies.  Even with downloaded games, you can back-up the data easily.  With this, you get NOTHING.

QuoteYou never get to own any of these games, you pretty much get to pay people to play them.
And you do think for most people that enough?

Do I think that will be enough for most people?  Yes.  Because people are idiots.

Let me point out one thing however:  Arcades are practically dead.
Jake says:

Lingus

ARTgames

Quote from: Chaos on December 30, 2009, 07:24:32 PM
And you do think for most people that enough?

Do I think that will be enough for most people?  Yes.  Because people are idiots.
That is a great counter augment. Because ever one is an idiot. that's not a an awful lot of assumptions about the general population now is it. Non the less you see what I'm saying.

Quote from: Chaos on December 30, 2009, 07:24:32 PM

QuoteAnd even if the quality is no ware neer its quality people don't care because streaming is good enough for most people.

QuoteYes people want that but convinces is more important.

QuoteThe other point they are trying to say is that you can still play these games and not have a powerful system at your end. And for a lot of people that's all they want.

QuoteYup. there not too many of them also.

QuoteThe video- and audiophiles is a vary small percent. Normal people don't care nearly as much.

non the less if people are idiots (accouding to your logic) then these would most likely all be true. I basd these assumptions off talking to people and from the data i get from podcast.

Tell me what you think about these staments. Tell me if you think there true or not?

QuoteLet me point out one thing however:  Arcades are practically dead.
not to japan. Non the less they fell to the convince of home systems. This still will be a home system. Or any ware you get internet sytem.

edit:
i just saw how many times i sayed "non the less". my bad