News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

that onLIVE stuff

Started by ARTgames, December 29, 2009, 11:41:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lingus

Yea, I guess that's true. Any computer made/bought in the last 2-3 years should be able to handle it I would think.

Here's another article:

http://kotaku.com/5181300/onlive-makes-pc-upgrades-extinct-lets-you-play-crysis-on-your-tv

The "micro console" is what catches my eye the most. As well as this quote:

QuoteThe micro console is expected to be priced competitively, "significantly less" than any current generation console on the market and potentially "free" with an OnLive service contract.

Guess it depends on what the monthly fee would be.

ARTgames

yup i remember seeing that micro console a long time ago when i first heard of onlive. Its how they going to get it on the the tv. Also thanks for the article.

Lingus

Btw, here's a response article to the original article you posted: http://games.venturebeat.com/2010/01/21/onlive-gets-a-bad-review-from-beta-tester-confesses-it-cant-beat-the-speed-of-light/

Kind of redundant, but confirms that the test that guy was doing should not be used as any kind of basis for how well the service would work under optimum conditions. There's a link to an explanation by the Onlive chief executive as to why your location is important. It's pretty obvious info, but clearly needed to be said for some people...

ARTgames

Thats blogers for you. Its not like he said nothing...

QuoteThere is a chance that OnLive is only selecting beta members that are on ISPs close to their current data centers and as I live outside that area that could affect my experiences with cloud-based gaming.  I'll touch on that where necessary.

also thank you for posting more articles about it.

Lingus

Yea, I mean, he said that, but he still went ahead and did the test and wrote his review making certain claims. If he was going to take that into consideration in the first place he shouldn't have said anything about the latency issue, or not even done the review in the first place. I want to read a review of someone who legitimately gained access to the beta and are within the accepted range. Until then we aren't getting an accurate view of the system anyways so what's the point?

Either way it is what it is. It's all really interesting, but until we see it in practice I think most people won't be convinced. It's not just that this guy was out of the range of service, we also don't know how it will hold up to having thousands of people accessing it. Even if they have more data center locations, we still don't know how it will handle the load.

ARTgames

QuoteI want to read a review of someone who legitimately gained access to the beta
Then don't read it. I red the article in the context of he was out of rang and i took that into account while i was reading it. He said that 2 games work really well and the last one was ok with game pad. Now i know how its going to work if your out of rang. Just think of how it works in range.

But any way that's why i asked for more articles.

Lingus

Quote from: ARTgames on January 22, 2010, 08:52:55 PM
QuoteI want to read a review of someone who legitimately gained access to the beta
Then don't read it. I red the article in the context of he was out of rang and i took that into account while i was reading it. He said that 2 games work really well and the last one was ok with game pad. Now i know how its going to work if your out of rang. Just think of how it works in range.

But any way that's why i asked for more articles.
I think you missed my point. I wasn't saying I didn't want to read a review of someone who didn't legitimately gain access to the beta. I got the same thing out of it you did. But as to the part of your quote that I bolded, my point is I don't want to have to think of how it works. I'm sure there's plenty of people who have legitimate access. I want to read their review of it and see how it actually works. Which is why I was also looking for more articles. I just didn't find any like that...

ARTgames

Oh ok. I just misunderstood.