News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

Sign

Started by Zario777, January 02, 2010, 11:33:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NotoriousM4^

Quote from: ARTgames on January 05, 2010, 05:36:21 PM
Quote from: NotoriousM4^ on January 05, 2010, 05:33:30 PM
Quote from: Lingus on January 05, 2010, 05:31:04 PM
I think if you will look closer you will see Chaos was not calling Zario names. He was giving examples of what people would likely post on the signs if given the chance. He was making a point that people would abuse these signs by making offensive remarks. He was not himself making those offensive remarks.
Either way, It didn't have to be as harsh as it was.
Edit: And that also shows how easily someone can be misunderstood when posting such an "uncalled-for" post.
Thats chaos for you.
The "That's just him" excuse, starts to get old. He needs to tone himself down.

Quote from: ARTgames on January 05, 2010, 05:36:21 PM
Also NotoriousM4^. What do you think about this idea of the sign? you did not say.
Well, It does have quite a bit of holes, but it is a rather interesting idea. It would be quite useful, Example: when someone is having a conversation with you, not knowing your afk, you could have simply put a sign there "afk" without the hassle of the other person having to type the whole conversation over, or you having to get bits and pieces of the conversation. I think the signs should have pre-written messages, from which you can choose from. However Editable ones could be a rare drop, or REALLY expensive.

However, all in all, it really wouldn't be a necessary addition to S.O., but nowadays, neither is a lot of other stuff that has been added.

Lucifer

Yup, Chaos really needs to tone himself down. Apparently there aren't many people intelligent enough to read his posts correctly here. I love the direction this topic has turned. Lets all get butt-hurt that we didn't understand Chaos's post the first time! Grrrrrrr lets say he's being mean because he provided examples on how the system will be abused! Makes perfect sense! Darn those people responding to other people's comments like that, Grrrrrrrrrr.

Frankly this right here, is elementary.

ARTgames

Lets not argue about who Chaos is and just get back onto why we are here.

Now i know in a ps3 rpg you can leave messages for other people online and they can read them. (I don't know the name of the game). And a lot of times its tips or just ways to mess the player up. Like set a message in front of a trap and saying its gold. :P I think stuff like that can be kind of cool. I also think it might be overwhelming if there's like 100s of players leaving sign around the game. I'm not sure. So3 could be super big game.

yottabyte

This topic is Chaos.

Get it?  :D

I partly quit SO. I only come online for updates and events. Have a good day. :)

Chaos

*HONK HONK*

Seriously, no one cares about your life-examination.  Make a new topic, or take it up in PMs.  I would be glad to ignore them.
Jake says:
lol, I found God! He was hiding under a big rock this entire time that lil jokster

Scotty

All of ya are immature little wastes of Daddy's orgasms, and this idea is a proud display of what humanity has accomplished in centuries of evolution.  Next up on the idea list, a ball and "perrty" butterflies that you can and will chase, but never catch!

Oh look over there, a shiny distraction!

Zario777

After rereading the last two pages, the main thing I find problematic, is the fact that newbs will use it to pass over the gap, not needing as much AGI. The other 3 points of Chaos were pretty much already answered:

1.)  Idea is easily abused. A.) Chop up the sign to your hearts content.

2.)  Serves no benefits. B.) This is where my main idea for the sign comes in (kinda falls under Jake's, "Because some people would enjoy posting random jibber jabber."). But mainly I came up with the idea after picturing a SO member (lets use GIS as an example) putting a sign on the Pirate Ship.

The sign says something like, "Teh Suckface's Ship" (or something that GIS would say that would show that the ship was his). Then somebody like Chaos could come along, read the sign, and say something like "Yeah Right", destroy the sign, and put up his own sign saying, "Chaos's Ship of (insert Chaos word here)".

GIS would naturally feel like putting his own sign back up, but Chaos (being a GM) would have natural GM str with the help of lets say Lucifer or some Chaos worshippers out there to protect it and basically become unofficial pirates of some sort =P But thats just an example about the Pirate Ship (this could happen at the club house or on top of the rocky mountain).

3.)  Does (current lack of) benefits outweigh the work required to program?  C.) Well another benefit to go along with standing on top of it was using it as a moderate weapon, but that might be too much to program, but idk for sure.

4.)  Stick Online is full of immature idiots (case in point, Red October).  Mind you, that isn't so much an issue with YOUR idea then it is EVERY idea.  Still something you want to address.  D.) That's where the idea to make the sign's price go up each time to eventually bankrupt the immature ppl (they cant be too rich can they?) so that they stop buying signs and realize that they are only wasting their own time.

E.) I have thought about the signs's height when thinking about how to stop newbs from not caring about their AGI level. We can make the top of the sign only reachable by somebody who has the appropriate stats to cross the pits (but still readable from the bottom).

So whatcha think about that?

What would be the minimum requirements to play SO on my computer?
i7 core running at 3.6 ghz 16gb ram minimum with at least 2 x ATI Radeon HD 4870. Best played with full surround sound and a 30" widescreen moniter.

Lucifer

1.)  Idea is easily abused. A.) Chop up the sign to your hearts content.
This still doesn't stop the abuse. People would come on the forums and complain that someone is harassing them by putting up insulting messages about them constantly.

2.)  Serves no benefits. B.) This is where my main idea for the sign comes in (kinda falls under Jake's, "Because some people would enjoy posting random jibber jabber."). But mainly I came up with the idea after picturing a SO member (lets use GIS as an example) putting a sign on the Pirate Ship.
(Example)
So you're saying the only benefit it serves is to have fun. All of this effort, for a more complex version of King of the Hill? You tell me, is it Really worth it?

3.)  Does (current lack of) benefits outweigh the work required to program?  C.) Well another benefit to go along with standing on top of it was using it as a moderate weapon, but that might be too much to program, but idk for sure.
Your idea to solve this problem is to have them work more to implement it as a weapon too? Might want to think about that.

4.)  Stick Online is full of immature idiots (case in point, Red October).  Mind you, that isn't so much an issue with YOUR idea then it is EVERY idea.  Still something you want to address.  D.) That's where the idea to make the sign's price go up each time to eventually bankrupt the immature ppl (they cant be too rich can they?) so that they stop buying signs and realize that they are only wasting their own time.
This makes me think you didn't even read my post. I clearly explained why this wouldn't work.
Quote from: LuciferAlso this suggestion works against people just as much as it works for. People in this game smack presents and kill bunnies even when they don't need the items, what do you expect is going to happen to your signs?
The sign's price would inevitably bankrupt anyone using it maturely as well.

E.) I have thought about the signs's height when thinking about how to stop newbs from not caring about their AGI level. We can make the top of the sign only reachable by somebody who has the appropriate stats to cross the pits (but still readable from the bottom).
I was referring to stacking signs next to holes, not singularly places signs. Honestly the simplest way to prevent abuse of stacking around holes would just be to make them unable to be built around them. Of course this would require even more programming.

I'm really not sure why you're hanging onto this idea, Zario. I think we've declared the potential benefits do Not outweigh the amount of work required to implement it, as well as the amount of work required to solve any abusing of it. Can't you move on to some other idea, and let this topic die already?

yottabyte

I don't like the idea. Just seems weird to me. I have to agree with Lucifer on this one. Meiun could use his skills on creating things for gameplay instead of unnecessary things like this.

IF this would ever be added, it would be in SO?, where there would be a lot of noobs abusing it. It would be like the /b/ of Stick Online.

I partly quit SO. I only come online for updates and events. Have a good day. :)

Mr Pwnage

I hereby declare this topic 10 gallons of salty vagina.
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -Albert Einstein (1947)

http://www.benmward.com/projects.php

NotoriousM4^

Zario777

1. Again people do not have to read the signs. People don't have to complain because the insulter and the insultee both would be in the wrong for A writing the message, and B choosing to read the message. We could even have a sign put up around the 1st flag stating that they do not have to read other signs (and make that one and that one only indestructible) for their own sake.

2. Its not any version of King of the Hill. That was part of the what you can do by writing joke messages. You could start a King of the Hill type game with it, you could post like a warning sign near the pits telling newbs what AGI level they need to pass. These are just two examples.

3. I said it could be used as a weapon, but "that might be too much to program, so idk for sure."

4. We can make the signs only attackable in pvp mode and regenerate its hp every hour or so. There shouldn't be a considerable amount of ppl chasing bunnies in pvp mode to take down a sign. Or bunny hunters using sword like weapons to chase one down either.

5. I don't see how stacking signs next to the holes will aid somebody without a feather hat across. I did say that the sign would be too tall for a feather hatless newb to high jump to, and cross the pit. I don't understand how having multiple signs that are out of reach will aid anyone who cant reach.

I like this idea too much to just let go. I just don't think that I have met a problem I haven't solved yet with the signs, but feel free to throw more at me/clarify some that I still haven't understand. I will back down when I meet a point I cant get across.
What would be the minimum requirements to play SO on my computer?
i7 core running at 3.6 ghz 16gb ram minimum with at least 2 x ATI Radeon HD 4870. Best played with full surround sound and a 30" widescreen moniter.

ARTgames

Mr Pwnage, NotoriousM4^ was that really necessary? Its ok not to like a idea. But post such things makes you not look good ether.

If you don't think the topic is good ignore it. Dont go out of your way to bash it as much as you can. you two make me
Quote from: NotoriousM4^wonder why I still go on these forums sometimes.

The idea its self i don't like but i tried to mess around with the idea a little to see if there anything close to this that could be useful.

Mystery

Quote from: Mr PwnageI hereby declare this topic 10 gallons of salty vagina.

http://objection.mrdictionary.net/go.php?n=3528863

Anyway, the idea isn't actually that half-baked(to a degree). Sure, it serves no real purpose(that would be that useful), but it's for FUN, not for fighting monsters or anything to that degree. Guess what, the whole point of SO is to have fun(any video game or game, for that matter). For one thing, the censoring of the signs seems quite worthless. The filter on SO barely blocks anything, and there's sure as hell(haha, bad pun...) enough cursing to go around. So they shouldn't be filtered at all(waste of programming). Considering the spamming issue, I'd say a maximum amount of signs could be on SO at once. You can't do much about the cursing and flaming sig-oh wait, you can. Chop down the sign if it's too offensive to you. Yes, people may complain, but there's flaming and complaining quite often here. I don't think it'll make THAT big of an increase in complaints.(I may be wrong, dunno how everyone feels about it... :P)True, you could have jerks who chop down every sign in sight, but someone will notice them eventually and take action. It'd actually be quite enjoyable, unless flaming starts. (I was going to make an analogy to this topic, but thought better of it...) The signs should not exponentially grow in cost, but I'd say 10k is a reasonable price for each sign. True, old players can buy tons of signs. Boo-hoo, with a limit of signs, they may not be able to place one until they delete old signs. Of course, the sign limitation brings up the issue of people's signs going to waste by other players chopping them. Well, go ahead and buy another. Honestly, for a moderately active player, 10k can be earned in a day. And chop their signs while at it.

Anyway, the MAIN problem with this idea is the standing on signs. Zario, the AGI suggestion would not work. Wanna know why? Feather Hat. So I propose a simple suggestion. Don't let you stand on them at all.

All in all, the idea isn't horrible, but it does need a lot(and I mean a lot) of reworking before even CONSIDERING implementation. Good job, Zario.

Quote from: LuciferI'm really not sure why you're hanging onto this idea, Zario. I think we've declared the potential benefits do Not outweigh the amount of work required to implement it, as well as the amount of work required to solve any abusing of it. Can't you move on to some other idea, and let this topic die already?
I have a parallel to this. I'm bringing up the planting system from Ravaged Lands(I'm sure half of you haven't played it, nor want to, and I'm not advertising it at all, for the record.).

The plants are of no use yet, but they are still there, and it didn't seem to take John that much time to make. Although this may seem like an apples to orange comparison, if the plants were a sign you could type on(say, you could type on the sign just like in the chat after 'planting' it, also meaning there is a letter limitation), I don't see that big of a difference. Sure, it would take some programming and effort away from weapons and more important stuff. Well, guess what. It's for FUN, and it's not any serious gameplay component.

EDIT: I share the same viewpoint as ARTgames regarding most things like this....
AKA Paradox/EnragedDeity/Occurrence.
Quote from: Medgar Evers
You can kill a man, but you can't kill an idea.

NotoriousM4^

Quote from: ARTgames on January 05, 2010, 10:19:58 PM
Mr Pwnage, NotoriousM4^ was that really necessary? Its ok not to like a idea. But post such things makes you not look good ether.

If you don't think the topic is good ignore it. Dont go out of your way to bash it as much as you can. you two make me
Quote from: NotoriousM4^wonder why I still go on these forums sometimes.

The idea its self i don't like but i tried to mess around with the idea a little to see if there anything close to this that could be useful.
I can't answer for Pwnage, but as for myself, Yes.

I put
Quote from: NotoriousM4^ on January 05, 2010, 10:08:24 PM

Because this thread is just going to end it constant arguing/flaming/nonsense. And people are going to continue to bump this even after I post this message.

Quote from: Zario777 on January 05, 2010, 10:16:27 PM
I like this idea too much to just let go. I just don't think that I have met a problem I haven't solved yet with the signs, but feel free to throw more at me/clarify some that I still haven't understand. I will back down when I meet a point I cant get across.

Zario, I'm sorry, but your going to have to let it go for now. You might want to let this thread die, and bump it when you have your ideas FULLY thought out and exactly what you want planned out without all the extra filler. I'm not giving you any guarantees that people will like it the second time, but it sure does make a lot more sense then just replying to something that appears to be going nowhere at the moment.