News:

FOR INFORMATION ON DONATIONS, AND HOW TO OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE GAME, PLEASE VIEW THE FOLLOWING TOPIC: http://stick-online.com/boards/index.php?topic=2.0

Main Menu

Favorite Bands/type of music

Started by Kbob32, April 27, 2010, 08:30:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yankyal

I like all kinds of music, yes, including country and rap, so I'll just say what kind of music makes me go "nope" and leave. Damn I'm boss.

-Romance music, especially containing the word "baby". I like Justin Beiber though.(which is like 80%, unfortunately. However, 20% of all music is a shit load)
-Screaming
-Rap that is just a guy talking over a beat
-Songs with intros that are 20+ seconds
-Long periods of times in songs that is just a single sound, like a guy breathing or cars driving or something. Way to put effort into your music, jackass
-Pretentious music
-Abuse of the word "you" in music
-Over-repetitive music
-Unnecessary guitar
-Instruments louder than the vocals

That's it really. Half my library contains one of these things, but the other aspects are good enough that I can ignore the bad parts. I have:
-mewithoutYou
-Kid Cudi
-Lady Gaga
-Blu and Exile
-The Postal Service
-Arcade Fire(The Suburbs is ace, my friends)
-Kanye West
-Coldplay
-The Devil Makes Three
-Johnny Cash
-The Lonely Island
-The Dodos
-Eminem
-Modest Mouse
Isaiah 13:15-18
Exodus 21:15
Deuteronomy 17:12
Leviticus 20:10

Trogdor

Scotty, I think half the music on my mp3 is from you. If you keep this up I'm going to run out of room, as I can only hold like 120 songs...

Anyways, no kidding about Christian. His growls for some reason remind me of Johan Hegg from Amon Amarth, which is definitely not a bad thing. The clean vocals are okay; I'm just satisfied they don't sound like a Nickelback knock-off like Noumena's. At any rate I'm glad you're still keeping this thread alive!
If you give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
If you light a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Yankyal

Quote from: Trogdor on December 11, 2010, 06:38:00 PM
Scotty, I think half the music on my mp3 is from you. If you keep this up I'm going to run out of room, as I can only hold like 120 songs...

Anyways, no kidding about Christian. His growls for some reason remind me of Johan Hegg from Amon Amarth, which is definitely not a bad thing. The clean vocals are okay; I'm just satisfied they don't sound like a Nickelback knock-off like Noumena's. At any rate I'm glad you're still keeping this thread alive!
Growls? What genre of music is this again?

EpicPhailure

I'm feeling like DnB and Dubstep these days. Not Pendulum though.

-B-Complex
-Incontext
-Dubba Jonny

Oh yeah.

DarkTrinity

Quote from: Yankyal on December 11, 2010, 08:12:49 AM

-Over-repetitive music

-Instruments louder than the vocals

I 100% agree with the first one. That stupid "I whip my hair back and forth" song... I'd like to gouge me ears out. Along with "i like a punk rock chick"... Insanely repetitive. I could name more, but I'm sure you all get the idea. I absolutely hate overly repetitive songs....

The second part I mostly agree with, if it's the entire song, that would be obnoxious, but if it's a small section of the song, I'm good with it.

Recently I've been listening to Avenged Sevenfold more often. I've always liked their music but I've been listening to them more often. Just kinda sad to think they might not make anymore music though... :/

Scotty

So I discovered a guy named Paul Wardington by way of hearing his guest appearance on Universum's new album (see: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09Yb9347SHE&feature=player_embedded).  What caught my attention was the squeelies you hear at 0:18-0:24 in the video, quite frankly I think some of the best guitar work on the album, alongside Sum of the Universe with Nightrage's guitarists.

Anyways, I didn't pay him much attention because on the guest list for the album, everyone had their associated acts that they played with listed.  Paul didn't have anything listed, but then I saw via Universum's RSS feed that they posted a video of him playing his part (above video), and that he had a solo act, so I checked him out, and boy was I glad I did!

He apparently has a solo album coming out "soon", and it's all instrumental.  It has hints of metal in the tone, but there are no vocals at all (so far as I can tell at least).  It is very melodic in tone, and is definitely the next album I am keeping my eye on!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRUAlh9JJxE

Scotty

So being the New Year and all, I figure I'd recap the albums I purchased last year, and the order of how I rate them in order from best to... absolute worst and I can't believe I wasted my money on it (being the last album).  Mind you my order is purely subjective to my tastes, and I welcome any constructive criticism:

• Solution .45 - For Aeons Past
  • Soilwork - The Panic Broadcast
  • Universum - Mortuus Machina
  • Dark Tranquillity - We Are The Void
  • Kalmah - 12 Gauge
  • Bullet For My Valentine - Fever
  • Sonic Syndicate - We Rule The Night (and homosexual tendencies)
  • In This Moment - Star Covered (would rather type that I can't remember the rest of the album's title than go on Amarok and figure it out for myself, it's that bad)

As far as 2011 albums that I look forward to, here are some of the bands that I know are coming out with albums in 2011, or so the bands claim:

• In Flames' new album
  • Children of Bodom's new album (first album they've used a producer for, should be interesting)
  • Angela from Arch Enemy claims they have a new album in the works for release in May, holy bat-shit melodic death metal Batman!!!
  • Anterior is supposedly coming out with a new album, and their first album still gives me a raging guitar hard-on to listen to!
  • Amon Amarth's Surtur Rising
  • The Agonist claims they are releasing a new album in 2011, and I'm still destined to bone the lead singer as an FYI
  • Nightwish has a tentative album scheduled for release in 2011... I think... Alongside with Symphony X, I hope...

Yankyal

Quote from: Scotty on January 01, 2011, 02:17:57 AM
So being the New Year and all, I figure I'd recap the albums I purchased last year, and the order of how I rate them in order from best to... absolute worst and I can't believe I wasted my money on it (being the last album).  Mind you my order is purely subjective to my tastes, and I welcome any constructive criticism:
It's sad how rare this is.

Scotty

Quote from: Yankyal on January 01, 2011, 02:32:24 AM
Quote from: Scotty on January 01, 2011, 02:17:57 AM
It's sad how rare this is.

When compared to how many people actually purchase albums, as well as the fact that I have a very selective and acquired taste in the music that I listen to, I'd say my morals in supporting bands' efforts far supersede much of today's society.

Scotty

Quote from: DarkTrinity on December 26, 2010, 01:13:54 PM
Recently I've been listening to Avenged Sevenfold more often. I've always liked their music but I've been listening to them more often. Just kinda sad to think they might not make anymore music though... :/

Looks like they're back to square one:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/mike_portnoy_to_split_from_avenged_sevenfold.html

Not too surprising, as this was the plan from the get go, and all the fans, while ignorant and hopeful that he'd stay, shouldn't be shocked.

EDIT: Although, I don't see this as A7X throwing in the towel, he says they are continuing on without him, likely looking for a replacement.

Titan

I need some new music reccomended to me.

I like bands like Rise Agaisnt, Three Days Grace, All That Remains, Four Year Strong, A Day To Remember.

Basicly looking for heavy rock or metalcore.
Livin' in a lonely world.

PiiP

Anything that has screamed vocals I approve of.

My favourite bands are:

Melodic-Death:

• Amon Amarth (Although being quite Viking Metal-y to)
  • Children of Bodom
  • In Flames
  • Dark Tranquility

Death Metal:

• Death
  • Six Feet Under
  • Kataklysm
  • Nile
  • Behemoth

Christian Metal:

• Demon Hunter

Black Metal:

• Immortal
  • Bathory
  • Burzum
  • Darkthrone
  • Emperor
  • Graveland

Folk/Pagan Metal:

• Eluveitie
  • Ensiferum
  • Tyr

Deathcore:

• Whitechapel(Although they combine elements of Mathcore, I would still put them into the Deathcore category.)
  • Suicide Silence

Metalcore(The list is so vast, I'll mention my top 5):

• Sylosis
  • Parkway Drive
  • Trivium
  • Chimaira
  • Killswitch Engage

Thrash:

• Anthrax
  • Annihilator
  • Sodom
  • Sepultura
  • Slayer
  • Heathen
  • Overkill
  • Evile

Heavy Metal:

• Iron Maiden
  • Saxon
  • Magnum
  • Megadeth
  • Motorhead

Top 5 bands:

• Pantera
  • Lamb of God
  • Sodom
  • Parkway Drive
  • AC/DC

Yeah, sorry the list is so huge, I like music a bit to much xD I would continue but by now you people are probably bored of my ramblings.
[/list]

Scotty

I have a new friend!

BTW, don't know if I mentioned them before, I got Trog listening to these guys last night.  They only have one album out, but they are supposedly releasing their second album this year.  The band is Anterior.  A few good songs of theirs:

Scar City
The Silent Divide
Stir of Echoes

I am a bit hesitant to admit to it, but I honestly think this band has some of, if not the best guitar technicality in their genre.  Dare I commit sacrilege by saying they rival the Amott brothers in some respects?  There are no clean vocals, only screams, which is great because it maintains a constant aggression throughout the majority of the album, always up-beat, always intense, and makes for a great album to listen to when you feel like driving from point A to point B in a hurry!

PiiP

Listening to Anterior now, they are epic, might have to go and purchase one of their albums next time I'm in town ;D

By the way Scotty, have you heard of Scar Symmetry? They are probably to your taste :P

Scotty

How in the hell did this wind up on page 8!?  Did people quit listening to music!?

Anyways, to legitimize my necro-post, I provide to you the strangest yet one of the coolest newest bands out there, that has a lot to offer from many genres of music all combined into one.  People who know me and know what I listen to might wonder if I've gone one level deeper from the already (lacking) sane state from what I listen to, I promise it's rewarding.  I've already shared it amongst a few members of this community and so far the general reception has been either "Awesome!"  or "Unique, but catchy".

The band's name is Amaranthe, and they've finally released an album in the past month, after doing a single EP, touring with Kamelot (where they'd play several songs off their newly release album), and countless other ways to remind their soon-to-be fans that they haven't forgotten them.  I'll cut to the chase and first provide you with their first single while I rant about why I find them awesome:

Amaranthe - Hunger

The reason I find it very refreshing to listen to them is their diversity.  They have intensive amounts of keyboards, harsh vocals, and a (drop-dead gorgeous) female pop vocalist.  Wait... Pop vocalist?!  Has Scotty lost his mind?  !@#$in'-A right I have, but I lost that long ago, this shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone who knows me.  There's so much variety in this band.  There's intense and guaranteed impressive guitar work thanks to the guitarist in the band (Orlof what's-his-nuts-last-name who plays with Nightrage, as well as more guest appearances than Osama birthed children, including Disarmonia Mundi, Universum, etc...).  Never before have I seen this much variety all bundled into one.  You have a phenomenal clean vocalist, a very talented pop vocalist (yes, they do exist, I'll explain in the next paragraph), an intense and very raw sounding harsh vocalist, great guitar, and over-abundance of keyboard/synthesizer in the music, all wrapped into one.

Regarding the most awkward part of the band, the delicious in appearance female vocalist, I'm thoroughly impressed.  I think I'm impressed because one, I never expected to see that (seriously, it took me about 3-5 listens of the above video to finally realize that it is a dangerous yet bad-ass concept) in a metal band, and two, she is genuinely as talented as she sounds.  Make no mistake, the above video involves a lot of manipulation regarding vocal tone, but honestly, who didn't know that when it comes to pop-style vocals?  Think of any pop artist you want, and think about how much goes into getting their tone perfect for the album, and if you had an ear for their tone on the album, you think to yourself "I'd never go see them live".  Elise, the female vocalist defies all that.  After perusing their crappily recorded live performances on youtube, I can honestly say if she performed anything like how she performs live, in bed, I'd birth three dozen of her children and gladly pay support.  Her vocals live don't have the ever redundant pop tone, and start to resemble that of a human being.  Check it out for yourself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLEVlf_V9yo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqeUnco8B7I

Anyways, let me know if you cared to take a look, and what you think.